Trip to England.

1,528 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by bobinator
monarch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Have been to England before and in fact have seen two EPL games on two different trips. So, its Thanksgiving and the boys are home and the inevitable conversation comes up about going to the UK and attending 2-3 EPL games in 7-8-9 days. This isn't going to happen real soon, but we are thinking fall of 17 or spring of 18 (prior to the WC). Obviously, we would need a schedule with fixtures indicated first off. Has anybody on this board ever tried to do something like this? The easiest deal would be to fly into Heathrow since most of the teams are based in London and stay there and catch London games only. On the other hand, we wouldn't be against flying into Birmingham or Manchester and flying out of Heathrow 7-8-9 days later if the schedule allowed us to do that.

I know people have done this for baseball games- flying into Milwaukee, eventually driving over to Chicago, Cleveland, Cincy, etc but has anybody done this for EPL games?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
An Ag in CO
AG
I have some friends who do this once every season and it's easy to get from city to city in England.
Old School Rucking
AG
England is very easy to get around, get out of London and see it. Consider checking out some Championship action as well. Lots of clubs with great history and atmosphere at a much lower price.
monarch
S
Thought of seeing some Championship level games too, if we couldn't get to an EPL venue for whatever reason.

Have never been out of Metro-London at all so don't know the connections or lines from London to Liverpool or Manchester to London or wherever. I'm sure the trip is very doable, just looking for info, thoughts, etc...

Thanks
gougler08
AG
monarch said:

Thought of seeing some Championship level games too, if we couldn't get to an EPL venue for whatever reason.

Have never been out of Metro-London at all so don't know the connections or lines from London to Liverpool or Manchester to London or wherever. I'm sure the trip is very doable, just looking for info, thoughts, etc...

Thanks

I think the trains are pretty cheap to get from a London station (Paddington, Waterloo, etc) and are pretty frequent as well. I'd definitely try and get to the midlands or northern part of England to see a match or two

If getting a flight in/out of Manchester is too difficult or expensive, you can just take a train back to London the night before
ChipFTAC01
AG
Singapore air is about to or has already started service direct from Houston to Manchester. I'd agree with checking out some midlands or merseyside or games up north. Trains are super easy to get around the country.

ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Trying to go to Merseyside Derby this year on December 19 (Everton supporters). Any ideas how to get tickets besides selling a kidney and buying StubHub?
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Scored merseyside derby tickets. Bam.
Dre_00
Trains out of London to all parts of the UK are very frequent and pretty reasonably priced (especially if the dollar continues to remain strong). You'll have a tougher time deciding which games to see and getting tickets to the game than you will getting train tickets.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Dre_00 said:

You'll have a tougher time deciding which games to see and getting tickets to the game than you will getting train tickets.
This is for sure true.

Pick out some non-EPL matches to attend. Will be fun. If you're really looking for an experience, see about finding a non-league match with decent local support.
LondonOllie
Yep anything is possible with some planing and some deeper pockets if you want to go to the bigger games or go to see teams that are popular.
As someone else said, I think it's a good experience to go and see a lower league match. I wouldn't really say go to a non league match, but maybe a Championship match. Also, the further ahead you book train tickets, the cheaper. It can get significantly more expensive the closer to your travel dates you that you book so try to figure out what/where you're going and book soon.

I'm heading back over Xmas and am going to do my best to go and see Spurs vs Chelsea. It's going to be a painfully expensive ticket I suspect, but this is probably my last chance to go see Spurs at White Hart Lane before the new stadium is built.

ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
LondonOllie said:

I'm heading back over Xmas and am going to do my best to go and see Spurs vs Chelsea. It's going to be a painfully expensive ticket I suspect, but this is probably my last chance to go see Spurs at White Hart Lane before the new stadium is built.
I really hope Spurs win by 6.

I'll be around the U.K. generally in the Christmas to New Years season.
PJYoung
AG
My buddy got to see the Spurs/Gunners game last month and he said the ticket transaction felt like a drug deal. He bought the tickets online and met the ticket broker outside of his hotel when he got to London. He got a season ticket holder's badge (much like the Masters) and then had to return it to the guy after the match.
monarch
S
Back in May 2015, my wife and I saw Manch United play at Crystal Palace. We stayed at a Hilton on Bayswater near Hyde Park and I had the concierge get me two tickets; cost us 450LBS for the two, but the seats were at the edge of the 18 yard box, about 8-9 rows up from the pitch. The tickets we got had the name of the original owner on them, but the name was haphazardly blacked out by a black marker. The owners name was Alfie Hampton. When we walked through the gate and I handed the tickets to the gate attendant, she addressed my wife and I as Mr & Mrs Hampton, then asked us how the family was doing. I mumbled "OK", she smiled back and commented that my voice sounded different than last game.. She laughed and just let us go on through.
bobinator
AG
I'm going to London tomorrow and trying to see if I can find a way into Spurs/Watford, but may end up going to QPR if not
LondonOllie
That's going to be a tough game to find tickets for as they don't play each other. Maybe you mean Watford vs Crystal Palace which takes place today.

Spurs play the Saints in a few days, but that is in Southampton.

bobinator
AG
It's the match on the first, I'm going to be there for a week
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.