Where did Arena go wrong leading up to '06 and...

1,095 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Dre_00
Mr. White
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What players might he call in that deserve a look?

I don't know the first part...

2) Feilhaber?
Lichaj
Hedges

Who else?
LSU Baseball Fan
Villafana should at least get a chance to prove himself in January camp. It's not like we're loaded with good left backs right now. Dax McCarty got some looks at the start of the JK era, but never got called-up again. He's one of the better DMs we have in my opinion, along with Danny Williams.

And cap CCV as soon as possible. Kid is gonna be a stud, book it. No idea why Jurgen didn't do that Tuesday when it was obvious Costa Rica had the game won. Would have been a nice parting gift. CCV seems to want to play for us, but England remain a threat until we cap-tie him.
PatAg
AG
I think you damn well would have seen Klestjan in the game against Costa Rica much earlier, if not starting. Guy is playing so well in the MLS, and also showed flashes of greatness as a youngster too. Had success in a mid-level euro league before coming back to MLS.
Pahdz
PatAg said:

I think you damn well would have seen Klestjan in the game against Costa Rica much earlier, if not starting. Guy is playing so well in the MLS, and also showed flashes of greatness as a youngster too. Had success in a mid-level euro league before coming back to MLS.

Not to mention champions league experience too

SK is a weird one, when he was in Belgium, his few NT runs were lacking. Now that he's back in MLS, his NT appearances have been stellar.
FW Declerk
Nagbe please
PatAg
AG
I definitely hope he doesn't over do it and play MLS just because its MLS. Play the best players that make the best team.

ie not CHandler ever
AG@RICE
AG
There are many reasons why Bruce Arena "failed" in the 2006 World cup:
1) We weren't a secret any more. Arena had the USMNT at #4 on the Fifa rankings. 4!!! That team was a very good squad, but not the #4 team in the world. Everybody had eyes on us and we could no longer sneak up on opponents.

2) Odd player selection and positioning. He made a few really odd choices like moving DMB the the right side and leaving Dempsey on the bench vs the Czech.

3) That was a tough group. Czech republic (really good), Italy (great - tourney winners), Ghana (good African team). The Czech game was first and their entire strategy was to try to feed Jan Koeller in the box....so in the first 5 minutes we leave him basically unmarked 5 feet from Kasey Keller. After that Tomas Rosicky tore us a new one.
Next was Italy, who would eventually win the tournament. We tied them 1-1. Only team in the tournament that notched any result against the Italians. To be fair Germany and France both "tied" them in regular time in the knockouts stage. Last game was Ghana, this was the game that got him fired. We conceded a penalty at the end of the 1st half that did us in. The penalty was a freaking joke:

4) Unrealistic expectations. People who didn't understand that the FIFA world rankings were flawed had actually convinced themselves we were the 4th best team in the world. When we didn't get out of the group someone's head had to roll. It was Arena.
JoeOlson
AG
I forgot how awful that penalty was ... my God
Dre_00
I was at the game against the Czech Republic. Thanks a lot for bringing that back up. Jerk.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.