Serious Question About Michael Bradley

1,832 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
mrmill3218
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He was awful the other night. Unfortunately, it's becoming par for the course since the 2014 WC.

My question is: what is he like in MLS? Is he this bad?

It seems like it's time for him to take a seat on the bench and give the armband to someone else.
Kampfers
AG
I feel like I ought to be paid a salary for how much I've had to defend Michael, who has been under attack since his USMNT career began under Bob.

I'll let someone else cover this.

All I'm going to say is that if you expect Dax McCarty or Kyle Beckerman to come in and do a better job you're going to be disappointed.
LeonardSkinner
Friends, Aggies, midfielders, lend me your ears;
I come to bury Bradley, not to praise him.
The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones:
So let it be with Bradley. The noble Jurgen
Hath told you Bradley was disastrous:
If it were so, it was a grievous fault;
And grievously hath Bradley answer'd it.
Here, under leave of Jurgen and the rest,
For Jurgen is an honourable man;
So are they all, all honorable men,
Come I to speak in Bradley's benching.
He was my friend, faithful and just to me:
But Jurgen says he was disastrous;
And Jurgen is an honourable man.
He hath brought many victories home to America,
Whose ransoms did the general coffers fill:
Did this in Bradley seem disastrous?
When that the poor have cried, Bradley hath passed:
Disaster should be made of sterner stuff:
Yet Jurgen says he was disastrous;
And Jurgen is an honourable man.
You all did see that on the Mexican pitch four times presented him a kingly crown,
Which he did four times place in the net: was this disaster?
Yet Jurgen says he was disastrous;
And, sure, he is an honourable man.
I speak not to disprove what Jurgen spoke,
But here I am to speak what I do know.
You all did love him once,not without cause:
What cause withholds you, then, to mourn for him?
O judgment, thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason!
Bear with me;
My heart is in the corner there with Bradley,
And I must pause till it is played back to me.
02skiag
AG
He has been Ok lately until the other night. He was indeed awful.
PatAg
AG
mrmill3218 said:

He was awful the other night. Unfortunately, it's becoming par for the course since the 2014 WC.

My question is: what is he like in MLS? Is he this bad?

It seems like it's time for him to take a seat on the bench and give the armband to someone else.
What we need is a more offensive minded central mid to emerge. One better suited to that spot, and we let bradley drop deeper where he excels. We had hoped Nagbe would be that guy, and maybe he still could. Sascha has been playing well the past couple years as well, who knows.

Bradley was not awful in his entirety of play, but he was subpar in that part of the game for sure. THe problem is people like you, and many others out there, think that means Bradley sucks. That's just not the case.
YankeeAg05
We need to not roll out a 5-3-2 for the first time against Mexico in World Cup qualifying. Bradley has never been good when paired with Jones and both playing defensive mid. They had more success when Jones or Bradley moved up in the past. In the second half we were much better and Bradley played well. He's one of the few players on our team who can read the game well enough to anticipate when to press defensively to instigate the attack. Bradley is not and has not been the problem. Playing Jones the full 90 when just back from injury, in an experimental formation in our most important game of the year sadly just seems right up JKs alley. Our problems are mostly in the coaching box. Just when I think he'll start putting players in the regular positions and rolling out some consistent formations he pulls back the football again so to speak.
jeffk
AG
Interesting read. Apparently MB wans to play 6 but JK keeps shoehorning him into an 8.

http://m.goal.com/s/en-us/news/66/united-states/2016/11/14/29522522/bradley-and-klinsmann-at-odds-over-the-captains-best?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
LeonardSkinner
Maybe after a lackluster performance at Costa Rica, Jurgen will officially hand the keys to Pulisic and let Bradley play the 6 in Jones's place.
mrmill3218
AG
Y'all catch that game last night?

I rest my case. Bradley belongs nowhere near the starting 11.
jeffk
AG
I'll withhold banishing him from our NT until I see how he plays under a new coach.
mrmill3218
AG
All of these posts about Bradley being a 6!

In what world is he a good number 6?

I think he's dying on that hill because he's a Pirlo wanna-be. The dude is not a true defensive midfielder.

I think JK is right - it wouldn't be a good use of his talents.
jeffk
AG
So do you think he's still a box to box 8 then?
02skiag
AG
I just don't see how there isn't a better option at the national level. Is he a great player that has some bad games or a mediocre player that occasional has great games? We shouldn't be asking that question at this level.
mrmill3218
AG
I think he could play like Santi Carzola does for Arsenal. He can be a holding, mid but needs a true #6 next to him.

He doesn't tackle well, he doesn't defend particularly well. Having him as a true #6 would leave us exposed defensively.

I'm all for him playing as a deep-lying play-maker, but as a true defensive midfielder is laughable. He's never been that in his life.

Honestly, at this point though I would just like to see him on the bench. Give someone else a shot.
wangus12
AG
Quote:

I think he could play like Santi Carzola does for Arsenal. He can be a holding, mid but needs a true #6 next to him.

He doesn't tackle well, he doesn't defend particularly well. Having him as a true #6 would leave us exposed defensively.
Except Cazorla actually defends very well and adapted to that role for Arsenal. He tackles well and is probably the best Arsenal player when it comes to keeping possession of the ball. The true role of Coquelin/Xhaka/Elneny is to allow Cazorla the freedom to move forward and not worry about the defensive duty.

Bradley is awful at possession and when he goes forward, so does Jones which leaves our backline exposed time and again.
AG@RICE
AG
mrmill3218 said:

All of these posts about Bradley being a 6!

In what world is he a good number 6?

I think he's dying on that hill because he's a Pirlo wanna-be. The dude is not a true defensive midfielder.

I think JK is right - it wouldn't be a good use of his talents.
Who would you prefer in that role?
mrmill3218
AG
wangus12 said:

Quote:

Except Cazorla actually defends very well and adapted to that role for Arsenal. He tackles well and is probably the best Arsenal player when it comes to keeping possession of the ball. The true role of Coquelin/Xhaka/Elneny is to allow Cazorla the freedom to move forward and not worry about the defensive duty.

Bradley is awful at possession and when he goes forward, so does Jones which leaves our backline exposed time and again.

I agree. I think if he was to play a position it would be like Santi's, however, I just don't think he's very good and therefore should stay on the bench.
mrmill3218
AG
Literally anyone at this point.
TheMasterplan
He looked ****e last night.
who?mikejones
AG
Bradley shouldn't have been a starter going on about 4.5 years nown. He is a black whole where things enter but nothing comes out.
PatAg
AG
mrmill3218 said:

Y'all catch that game last night?

I rest my case. Bradley belongs nowhere near the starting 11.
So you watched the game last night, and what you took away from it was that Bradley was the problem?
PatAg
AG
Snide remarks aside, we all obviously see Bradley's abilities differently. Some are biased for and some biased against.

Here is Jurgen's thoughts "Then Michael would play the same role he does in Toronto for us, just being in front of the back line and floating, being a nice passer, which he does undoubtedly well, and I don't know how many completed passes and stuff like that," Klinsmann said. "It's all nice, it's no doubt, but it doesn't make a difference for us.""

Correct me if im wrong, but we have struggled mightily to have quality possession and distribute from the back. What he describes sarcastically as what bradely would do as a "6", seems to be something we are in need of.

I'm no longer saying Bradley is playing well, I just dont think he is playing poorly either. I think a big issue is Jermaine Jones, and maybe the reason there are no threads about him is we all acknowledge his issues? I'd like to see Bradley paired with a Klestjan, Nagbe, or maybe even Pulisic before I decide he is done for now.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Bradley should be playing towards the front line creating shots . He used to score or assist on goals. No more - put the blame on Klinsman
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.