Southern California Soccer stadium

2,317 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by mullokmotx
mullokmotx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The stadium's name is McAlister Soccer Field and is at 3000 South Hoover Street at the intersection of 30th and Hoover. From Google Maps it seems to be a few blocks north of the campus and seems to have seating on the north side. Apparently it has no lights which is why the games Friday are at 11 AM and 1:30 PM local time.
Has anybody been there? Is there parking available?
CDub06
AG
I can't provide any info, but I was shocked to hear they didn't have lights. How hard is it to get some lights up? Geez.
Penaltykick
It's mind boggling that a prominent D1 school doesn't have a lighted field. Appears as though Georgetown, which is also hosting 2nd round matches, also does not have lights. Games there are slated for 11:00 am local start.
mullokmotx
AG
Seems like about 8 years ago Washington's softball team won the National Championship and didn't play a single game in the NCAA Tournament at home because they didn't have lights. And I think California's baseball team one time could not host a Super Regional at their home park for the same reason. I think they played in a minor league stadium.
It looks like on a map that there is parking just east of McAlister Field.
akm91
AG
Given the crime rate of the area, who would want to be in there after dark?

University Park Crime Rate
Giggem
AG
It's my understanding from a local parent that there is a very small parking lot and 4-hour street parking. But I suspect it's going to be pretty dicey to find parking given that this will be in the middle of a day while school is in session.

There WILL be a tailgate in the parking lot south of McAlister field, from about 1030-1230, hosted by local parents.

BTHOusc

jeffk
AG
Get all the parents to pull their SUVs up to the fence and shine their headlights on the field.
Capt. America
AG
jeffk said:

Get all the parents to pull their SUVs up to the fence and shine their headlights on the field.

That's how we always used to do it.
BQ_90
AG
Its LA, wouldn't the light from the fires from the looting and subsequent gun fire be light enough.
mullokmotx
AG
I called USC Transportation Services. The person I talked to suggested parking in Parking Structure D which is at Entrance 4 off Jefferson Street. Looks to be about 2 blocks south of the soccer stadium.
mullokmotx
AG
The parking turned out okay. I pulled up to the attendant at parking structure D, told her I was there for soccer. and she gave me a free pass.
Now the, ahem, stadium. The University of Southern California should be embarrassed hosting what will now be 5 NCAA Tournament games in that facility. It's called McAlister Soccer Field because that is what it is, a grass field surrounded by a fence. There is one brick structure at the NW corner which has some restrooms. They brought in some 5 row bleachers like what we have at the south end of Ellis Field which covered maybe 60% of the north sideline. Mississippi State and TCU had stands that did not go the length of the field but they both had berms like Olsen Field has. No press box, no concession stand, no ticket booth, no locker rooms. Our team waited outside in the shade of a building to the south for the first game to end. They won the National Championship in 2007 and it seems like no one in their administration noticed.
I can see now why it is possible for our coaches to recruit in California when players see the facility that we have.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.