Houston Dynamo 2017 Season Thread

41,311 Views | 566 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by gig them
Dre_00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Alright, so 2016 was pretty much the worst thing ever. So many questions for 2017. Will the Dynamo retain Barrett? Will the owners realize that Jordan and Canetti are the dumpster fires that they are? What low grade acquisitions will the team make this off-season? Tune in here!

I can answer the first question for you. The Dynamo will not retain Barrett.

http://www.chron.com/sports/dynamo/article/Dynamo-will-not-retain-Wade-Barrett-as-full-time-10415129.php

Honestly, I think that he did about as well as could be expected. When Alex is your MVP, you know your roster is light on talent. But whether Barrett is the coach or someone else won't really matter until the Dynamo as a whole start making better personnel decisions and I don't think Jordan and Canetti are capable of that.

Rumor is that the Dynamo were either going to give the job permanently to Barrett or bring in Cabrera.
Dre_00
Jeff Carlisle tweeted that the team will look within MLS/North America for their next coach and that they have to have MLS experience. That, along with the "needing to change the style" quote from Canetti really narrows down the list. Off the top of my head, you're looking at Sigi, Cabrera, and....???

My money is on Cabrera. He has MLS experience, RGV played some attacking soccer and had a lot of success in their first season, and he's a relatively safe pick...and I think the Dynamo are risk averse when it comes to choosing their next coach.
Terk
AG
Page Juan!
Dre_00
Dynamo will announce the hiring of Wilmer Cabrera on Friday.

Maybe Cubo won't leave the Dynamo after all. He was the coach of Chivas USA when Cubo had his breakout season.
Dre_00
An article on Cabrera that I enjoyed...even if it is from the Houston Dynamo team site.

http://www.houstondynamo.com/post/2016/10/28/head-coach-wilmer-cabrera-aims-take-flight-helm-houston-dynamo
carl spacklers hat
Hate seeing Cabrera leave RGV FC, especially if Rafa Amaya follows him to Houston and leaves a vacancy as the Development Academy Director. The club is just getting started and having Rafa run the Academy would go a long way to establishing a quality development program that feeds players into the RGV FC senior team and maybe ultimately the Dynamo senior team.

Personal preferences aside, I think Cabrera will be a good hire to Houston, based on the performance he got out of his club this year. I could spend the time looking it up but does anyone know off the top of their head how many of the RGV FC players got called up to Houston during the past season?
Dre_00
Off the top of my head, I think only Escalante was offered a contract with the Dynamo and saw MLS minutes. Garcia might have gotten a contract but I don't think he got minutes. A few others trained with the team, I believe, but don't think anyone else was officially offered a MLS contract.

I'm not counting players like Arboleda who was essentially sent to RGV from Houston for evaluation after being acquired.
Texaggie7nine
Maybe we can get Rooney, no one in Europe seems to want him.
7nine
Dre_00
Holy lord can you imagine Rooney trying to run around BBVA during a July day game? Hell, he'd struggle even during a night game.
Dre_00
Dynamo hire Michael Dellorusso and Davy Arnaud has assistant coaches. Wade Barrett still apparently offered a role with the team but doesn't seem like it will be as a coach.
Brick Tamland
Dre_00
Dynamo have declined options on Maidana, Raul Rodriguez, Lovejoy, Steinberger and Ibeagha. They are negotiating with Rodriguez to perhaps bring him back at a lower salary. Beasley, Horst, and Collen Warner are all also out of contract (or I guess will be soon as I think MLS contracts run till December 31st) but the Dynamo are negotiating with them with the hopes of bringing them back.

They picked up options on Lima, Joe Willis, Kevin Garcia, Eric Alexander, and Calle Brown. They also signed Jalil Anibaba to a new contract.
FW Declerk
Hopefully no more bruin
Dre_00
He's under contract so unless he's traded or sold to a non-MLS team, he'll be with the Dynamo next season.

While we're at it, rumor is that Cruz Azul has declined the option to buy Cubo. Dynamo said they haven't received official word of Cruz Azul's intent. Nonetheless, I'd expect to see him back with the Dynamo as he's been injured for most of his time with Cruz Azul...unless they can trade him to another MLS team for 20 cents on the dollar and I highly doubt anyone in MLS wants to take on his salary.
Dre_00
Dynamo lose the rights to Colin Warner in the expansion draft (he was out of contract at the end of the month) and trade Sheanon Williams to Vancouver for general allocation money.
herb96
AG
Depth for next season looks dismal.
AG@RICE
AG
I have a friend who is getting a PHD in an information science related field and is a diehard Dynamo fan. He is a brilliant guy who has great ideas on how to use player tracking data and statistical analysis for the purposes of soccer. He has wanted to work for the Dynamo for the past 5 years and they wouldn't give him a single look. He emailed me 2 days ago and asked me to be a reference for a 2nd interview he is having with the New York Red Bull later this month...

So pissed at the Dynamo.
FW Declerk
This surprises you? The dynamo are run by a bunch of monkeys
ja86
AG
You are insulting monkeys
Texaggie7nine
Will we have anyone that can play worth a **** on the wings?
7nine
FW Declerk
yes some new prospect from the Houston Hurricanes or Wayne Rooney
Brick Tamland
Dre_00
Dynamo picked up Dylan Remick from Seattle in the first stage of the Re-Entry draft. According to the MLSPU, he only costs about $60k a year. I'm assuming he was picked up for depth purposes.

Lots of players out of contract who are being asked to take pay cuts. If they don't accept them and move on, there will be a lot of roster positions for Jordan, Canetti, and Cabrera to fill in a short period of time. Players usually report back for training in late January.
Dre_00
An acquaintance of mine who worked with the Dynamo during their glory years reiterates this sentiment. In his opinion, even when fans thought that the Dynamo were well run, they were not. They simply had Oliver Luck and team success to cover over the cracks. Now he admittedly might be a little biased as I think he was let go by the club but nothing in the last 3-4 seasons suggests he was wrong.
AG@RICE
AG
Dre_00 said:

An acquaintance of mine who worked with the Dynamo during their glory years reiterates this sentiment. In his opinion, even when fans thought that the Dynamo were well run, they were not. They simply had Oliver Luck and team success to cover over the cracks. Now he admittedly might be a little biased as I think he was let go by the club but nothing in the last 3-4 seasons suggests he was wrong.
I generally disregarded the influence that Luck had on the Dynamo, but clearly history has proved me very wrong. After he left in 2008, the organization has steadily crumbled and now looks completely lost and rudderless.

Worst of all, I haven't seen any real push by the new owners/front office to get us moving in the right direction. I am seriously worried about the future of the Dynamo at this point. I dont think there are many people in this town that actually care about them anymore. We actually chose not to renew our season tickets for next year, and I can't imagine we are the only ones. Bad team, Bad management, Bad environment, Bad lots of things...

The organization clearly needs an injection of passion and effort.
FW Declerk
Wouldn't be cool if they did a fan IPO like they did with AFC Wimbledon and in the Bundesliga.
Dre_00
AG@RICE said:

Dre_00 said:

I generally disregarded the influence that Luck had on the Dynamo, but clearly history has proved me very wrong. After he left in 2008, the organization has steadily crumbled and now looks completely lost and rudderless.

Worst of all, I haven't seen any real push by the new owners/front office to get us moving in the right direction. I am seriously worried about the future of the Dynamo at this point. I dont think there are many people in this town that actually care about them anymore. We actually chose not to renew our season tickets for next year, and I can't imagine we are the only ones. Bad team, Bad management, Bad environment, Bad lots of things...

The organization clearly needs an injection of passion and effort.

Yup...been saying it for years. Losing Luck was the beginning of the malaise that has set in. Canetti rode Luck's and the team's success for several years but has failed any time he's tried to develop something himself. I can't think of a single success he can point to that says "I did that". The stadium, the training ground, the success under Dom were primarily other Luck's success or Dom's, not his.
Dre_00
In other news, the Dynamo have acquired 20 year old Alberth Elis on loan from Monterrey with an option to buy. Let's hope this works out better than the Arboleda and Brown loans. If Cabrera is as good as we hope he is and follows suit with previous patterns, Elis should at least get significantly more playing than Arboleda and Brown did with Houston.

Elis is a striker by trade so brings some questions as to what we can expect formation wise from Cabrera. With Manotas and Bruin on the roster, it means that either we'll see a change to a 4-4-2, Elis asked to play more as a winger, a lot of bench time for at least one striker, or a trade (Bruin?).
Dre_00
Rumor has it that the Dynamo are also looking at Adolfo Machado...31 year old Panamanian CB who currently captains Saprissa. Not sure if the Dynamo have acquired extra international slots through trades but standard MLS roster has 7 internationals. Addition of Elis would bring us to 7 (that list of 7 would include players like Arboleda and Brown but not Rodriguez). If the Dynamo did acquire Machado, they could easily accommodate him by not picking up the option on Brown and still retain Rodriguez if he's not willing to renegotiate a lower salary.
FW Declerk
Bruin needs to go.
FW Declerk
Going cheap I see.
Dre_00
Dynamo announce the signing of Machado. It's a permanent transfer.

In addition, they look to be close to signing Honduran winger Romell Quioto from Olimpia. Dynamo love themselves some Hondurans, let me tell you.

My guess is that you can pretty much kiss Arboleda and Brown good bye...which shouldn't surprise anyone.
FW Declerk
Dre_00 said:

Dynamo announce the signing of Machado. It's a permanent transfer.

In addition, they look to be close to signing Honduran winger Romell Quioto from Olimpia. Dynamo love themselves some Hondurans, let me tell you.

My guess is that you can pretty much kiss Arboleda and Brown good bye...which shouldn't surprise anyone.
OH look another blue light special the monkeys are going on the cheap for next year.
Texaggie7nine
Bye bye bruin
7nine
jeffk

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.