Manchester United 2016-17 Thread

96,228 Views | 1648 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by byfLuger41
Aggie_3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jose always gets a rep as a defensive coach but if you go and look he actually every year he has been a manager had his team in the top 3 in every league for most goals scored while also having good defense.
Dre_00
Lots of transfer rumors swirling and even though Mourinho hasn't been officially announced, all the rumors are influenced by that assumption. Some that I've heard so far:

Zlatan Ibrahimovic (this actually seems the most likely IMO)
Nemanja Matic
John Stones
Lassana Diarra
Andre Gomes
Joao Mario
Alvaro Morata
Mauro Icardi
Ezequiel Garay (again)

Also rumors that Mourinho wants re-sign Carrick whose contract ends next month. I'd be for that as long as he becomes a squad player who starts no more than 10-15 games next season. He's still capable in stretches and serves a purpose. He's like Ji Sung Park at this point in his career.
datrixstunna
AG
Park...man I miss that guy. He ran is ass off in every match.
Dre_00
Fergie pretty much brought him into the starting XI for every big match for a 3 year stretch or so. I saw him score the game winner in my one and only trip to OT thus far. It was against Liverpool back when they were actually good.
jeffk
AG
Congrats.

Dre_00
While I think the conclusion is accurate, that is some horrible logic. It assumes ESPN as some sort of barometer because it covers all leagues equally when it clearly doesn't. I go to ESPN for specific leagues on occasion but MLS isn't one of them because their coverage sucks. If I want MLS coverage I go to other websites.
Skitch05
AG
Apparently Chelsea still hold rights to Mourinho's name and likeness, despite them sacking him. They want United to pay for the rights. Mourinho and United have agreed to terms, but the Chelsea deal is holding up completing the move.
Dre_00
That seems extremely odd. How in the world can Chelsea hold his image rights? Why in the world would Mourinho agree to any deal that included passing his rights to Chelsea even if he wasn't employed by Chelsea? If that's true, Jose is a moron.

I'd heard it was related to clearing up conflicts between Mourinho's personal sponsorship deals and United's. Who knows though.
datrixstunna
AG
Looks like the Special One is officially ours!
Dre_00
Yep. According to this live blog he signed the contract in a central London hotel a few minutes ago. I assume there will be an official announcement from the club and a press conference relatively soon.
Skitch05
AG
Dre_00
Rashford scores 2 minutes into his England debut. It's amazing how quickly his career has taken off. I really hope Jose doesn't **** him up.
Skitch05
AG
That's my one fear with potentially bringing in Zlatan. It's safe to guess Martial is playing LW, but if Zlatan plays as a lone striker then Rashford may be left out.
Dre_00
You could play Zlatan as the "withdrawn striker' and still keep Rashford on the field. You'd need to get some better central midfielders to do that though. Or at least ones that are true box to box mids who have a desire and ability to defend. Because Zlatan isn't going to defend.

Related side note. I think Schneiderlin has a huge opportunity with Mourinho. Had an off year (partly not his fault) but I think he's the type of midfielder that Mourinho would like assuming he's in form.
Skitch05
AG
Where does Rooney go then? Central mid? He did do a pretty good job defending the last few games.
Dre_00
Yeah, but more likely he goes to the bench unless he continues to improve his midfield abilities.
Skitch05
AG
I agree on Schneiderlin. At Southampton he was one of the better holding mids in the league. Hopefully Mourinho can work that out of him again.

If United do bring in Zlatan on a free transfer, hopefully Mourinho is able to bring in both a true box to box midfielder and a CB to partner with Smalling. I'm also assuming Mata is probably gone given their history together, so another RW would probably be needed too. I like Lingard, but wouldn't feel that sturdy with him being the main/only right sided attacker heading into the season.

Also, please stay De Gea!
agdoc2001
AG
Sigh, seems like just yesterday...

Warning (language)

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Dre_00
Rashford and Borthwick-Jackson have signed new contracts. Rashford's is through 2019 with an option for 2020. Not sure about BJ. While there has never been an official announcement from the club, Paddy Crerand says that Carrick re-signed as well.
bagger05
AG
Any of you fools in Dallas? I'd like to get better about watching games this coming season and would like to get in with a group of people that meet up.

Anybody participate with the Dallas Reds?
Dre_00
I used to know a few guys that were part of the Dallas Reds but they have since moved from Dallas. Still, they get very solid numbers at their viewing parties and they are a welcoming bunch. Just go to a few games and you'll be right at home.
Skitch05
AG
Guardiola with the first major signing, pulling Gundogan to City from Dortmund. He fits the mold of a Guardiola CM very well, good get for City.
Aggie_3
quote:
Guardiola with the first major signing, pulling Gundogan to City from Dortmund. He fits the mold of a Guardiola CM very well, good get for City.

The issue with him though is he is very injury prone
Skitch05
AG
True. They got him for a decent price considering his age, I'm guessing that was a major reason why.

City has some insane depth at the moment in the center of the pitch that should allow for rotation to keep him rested, although they pretty much have to be shipping out several players.
Dre_00
Reports are that Giggs is leaving United. Mourinho offered him a coaching role but not as #2. Sad but ultimately might be the best thing for him and for those that want to see him manage United.
Skitch05
AG
It is sad to see Giggsy leave. Like you said though, it is probably for the best with his career long term since Mourinho is bringing in his own staff.
Mathguy64
AG
I actually think this is a good thing. Both for Giggs and the club.
ja86
AG
Giggs needs to go out and get different experiences with different clubs. It keeps one from being inbred too much.
Mathguy64
AG
Conte hasn't filled his staff, or if he has it's not listed yet. How weird would it be for Giggs to go to Chelsea? Would the world implode?
Dre_00
Strong rumor that Giggs is going to get the Bolton job.
Dre_00
Also, De Gea comes out and angrily rejects implications he wants to move to Real. Said he wants to stay and he's looking forward to working with 'winner' Mourinho. Probably doesn't hurt matters that both he and Mourinho have the same agent. Whatever the reasoning, it doesn't look like this summer will be a replay of last as it pertains the De Gea transfer gossip.
Dre_00
Sky reporting that Zlatan is very close to signing with United. The move should be done prior to Euros (which start a week from today).

http://www.football365.com/news/one-year-man-united-deal-for-zlatan-report

Additional nugget which is nice to hear is that United will make this their only striker signing this season so this shouldn't mean that Rashford gets pushed out into the cold. Even if Rooney and Martial get moved to forward on a consistent basis, he's still going to get games.
Skitch05
AG
I've been reading about a record setting bid for Pogba, which would be huge and would be perfect to slot alongside Schneiderlin/Carrick I think. Mourinho would have to convince him to play a year without Champions League.

Also, its just a rumor, which means it probably won't happen. Fun to think about though.
Dre_00
I'd give that about .1% chance of it happening. I wish it would (I wish Fergie never let him go) but it's not happening. Fun to dream though.

That guy. Seriously, he's one of the few things that Fergie got wrong. Pogba was pissed he wasn't getting enough 1st team playing time because he thought he was good enough. Fergie didn't like his attitude and the disciplinarian in him didn't play him...almost out of spite. Problem is while Pogba might have been an arrogant teen, he was right. Our midfield was crap and Pogba stepped right into the starting 11 at Juve.
Skitch05
AG
Looks like Zlatan has agreed to personal terms with United. Hopefully the announcement comes some time soon.

Also, looks like United are making a 32M GBP move for Villareal CB Eric Bailly. I haven't seen him play, but he is reportedly a 22 year old big, strong, fast CB with good instincts and good on the ball skills. He also shutout Atletico twice this season, and marked CR7 out of their last meeting with Real in a shutout. Sounds promising, and it's good to see that a CB is high on the priority list. If he is as reported, that should make a great pairing with Smalling in the heart of the defence.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.