* Liverpool 2016-2017 Thread *

40,838 Views | 504 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jeffk
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just wanted to get this thing started before some one else came along and screwed it up.

*The asterisks are the glints of light off of Klopp's glasses as he lifts the championship trophy at the end of the season.
jeffk
AG
Watching ManU makes me miss our old adidas kits.
Serotonin
AG
Seems legit
gig them
AG
The change to one asterisk is what this club has been missing.

What's important is that we not blame the starters of previous Liverpool season threads, because they are totally awesome.
jeffk
AG
Of course they are.

Maybe we just need a new approach to take our success to the next level.
joemeister
AG
I started last year's thread. It's good that you did this. Wash away all the bad karma.
joemeister
AG
Just signed Loris Karius from Mainz for 4.7m. Competition for flappy Simon I suppose. http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36374180
jeffk
AG
Would have been awesome.

http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/story/bayern-munich-stay-is-best-for-gotze-s-career-says-bierhoff-052516
powerbelly
CaveDwellinAg
AG
No real, solid info on transfer plans at this point.

Coutinho to Barcelona is being talked about in the media but seems highly unlikely.

Talks of buying Piotr Zielinski and Mahmoud Dahoud have cooled, and I think the Jonas Hector idea is completely dead at this point.

I'm still wondering what will happen with Lazar Markovic.
byfLuger41
AG
quote:
Just wanted to get this thing started before some one else came along and screwed it up.
Mustang1
AG
Wow another tough Aug & Sept.
toucan82
Do you guys think Liverpool should try to win the league this season?
joemeister
AG
quote:
Do you guys think Liverpool should try to win the league this season?
Considering the fact that there is no Champions/Europa League distraction, absolutely. I firmly believe one of the biggest influences behind the 2nd place finish a few seasons ago was the lack of mid-week games. There were times last season after Klopp's arrival where Liverpool looked like they could be one of the best teams in the league. Hopefully, a full off season will bring more consistent performances.
jeffk
AG
Been a quiet off-season so far. Hope we've got a few deals moving behind the scenes.
joemeister
AG
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36636488

Sadio Mane for 34m. We'll see if the 4th Southampton player is the charm. He's one of those players that I thought looked really good when I watched him, but then again he only scored 11 goals last season. This also most likely means Benteke will be sold.
jeffk
AG
I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that we won't be making a splash signing this year.
JoeOlson
AG
The idea of Mane playing in Lallana's role could be very interesting. Origi/Sturridge/Mane/Coutinho/Firmino/Lallana is a lot of horsepower. I'd love to see a bit more in the midfield - not sure what we do there ...

I've been debating the whole Mane signing. Would we rather sign someone from a smaller league who is a clone of Mane but coming in with more hype; or, would we rather have Mane at a higher price point who at least knows what to expect in the Premier League? (I'm positive on the signing)

Edit: you could argue that Mane is the 100% opposite of Benteke. Great on the ball + extremely quick (Klopp has to love this for the press) but pretty weak on aerial battles. For us and what Klopp likes to do, I think Mane is an absolute monster this season
gig them
AG
I like that approach, we looked our best with a false nine this season. I don't like formations with false nines, but when they produce four goals at the Etihad I tend to chill tf out.

Count me in on Mane. We may not make a huge splash signing, but that might not be worst thing.
Capt. America
AG
SORRY I'M LATE LADS. Baseball and US Soccer in Houston got in the way. Let's do this!
joemeister
AG
Jordan Ibe sold to Bournemouth today for 15m. The BBC gossip watch also indicates Benteke is likely gone to either Palace or West Ham for between 30 and 35m, and Skrtel is likely off to Turkey.
jeffk
AG
Which leaves us with?
datrixstunna
AG
quote:
Which leaves us with?

Aspas?

....wait nevermind.
jeffk
AG
Go away, Ronaldo.
JoeOlson
AG
I'm not really happy about losing Ibe, but he has a lead footed touch and he needs to play somewhere and get better. We aren't a side right now that can support having him play meaningful and consistent minutes. Ojo is younger, plays somewhat the same position and may end up being a better player.

Small sample size clearly, but Ibe needs to play and Anfield isn't that place right now.
gig them
AG
What kind of place IS Anfield right now? We ship guys off when they don't make the grade, but we also can't keep them when they become too good.

I'm not exactly sure where that leaves us, if not the perpetual 5th-7th graveyard.
AG@RICE
AG
I soured on Ibe throughout the season. He doesn't like to pass and when he does it is usually the wrong option. Im ok with losing him, but when he is 26 he might be a really really good player. That being said, they got a decent bit of money for a young player who was going to lose his place to another young player.

I really liked Ojo in his limited time last year and wanted him to get more minutes....but he could be another Ibe in disguise. For some reason the Second-team Liverpool Winger has the same feel as the Backup A&M Quarterback.
Capt. America
AG
Slow start, but the Reds get it done. 1-0 over Tranmere Rovers. Late strike from Danny sealed the deal.
The Wizard of Oz
AG
Kent, Mane and Ejaria look very promising. Didn't get to see the second half, but I'm excited to see Ings back to fitness.

Sakho being cleared today was huge.
The Wizard of Oz
AG
Also, we have a buy-back clause on Ibe's deal to the Cherries. So if he takes off, we always have that option. Should note that 15% of the 15 mil we get for him goes to Wycombe Wanders, his previous club.
AG@RICE
AG
quote:
I soured on Ibe throughout the season. He doesn't like to pass and when he does it is usually the wrong option. Im ok with losing him, but when he is 26 he might be a really really good player. That being said, they got a decent bit of money for a young player who was going to lose his place to another young player.

I really liked Ojo in his limited time last year and wanted him to get more minutes....but he could be another Ibe in disguise. For some reason the Second-team Liverpool Winger has the same feel as the Backup A&M Quarterback.
Hold the phone! I got a new favorite Back-up winger: Ryan Kent.

All the touch and skill of Ibe, but he actually passes the damn ball!!!!

He has looked incredible in the last 2 games and has set up like 3 or 4 goals. Very promising start.

I've already got my hopes sky high so that I can be horribly disappointed when we loan him out to some cruddy 2nd division team in 2 weeks.

Matip looked really really good against Wigan as well. He could be a huge difference maker.

joemeister
AG
Transfer update:

Joe Allen sold to Stoke for between 13-15m
Martin Skrtel sold to Fenerbache (sp?) for 5m
some other marginal players I don't know much about also were sold

Some guy from Estonia was bought to give CB coverage for 4.5m
Finalized a deal this morning for Georginio Wijnaldum from Newcastle for 25m
gig them
AG
Important update! This is offseason #content at its finest.

The high points:
- lallana and hendo are besties
- coutinho needs a fan to sleep (guys I NEED A FAN TO SLEEP TOO WE'RE BASICALLY THE SAME)
- Klopp's room has to be smoking

Out in Left Field
eiggA2002
AG
Will anyone be in NorCal for the ICC match with A.C. Milan this Saturday? Looking for a supporters bar around the stadium or in Santa Clara/San Jose for pregame festivities. Seems like most of the pre-game stuff is in San Fran which is 50 miles away. Coming in from Texas to see the lads for the first time!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.