Arsenal 2016-2017 Thread

132,618 Views | 1832 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by agdoc2001
TXAggie2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2015-2016 is now OVER!

Let's do this!
TXAggie2011
AG
California Gunners,

Arsenal plays the MLS All-Stars in July 28th in San Jose and Chivas in Los Angeles on July 31.

69 days!

TXAggie2011
AG
I finally have a life again and I'm angrier than ever!
wangus12
AG
I will be at the MLS All-Star game. I may have an extra ticket depending on if my girlfriend gets a new teaching job.

With several big names not being called up to the Euros, good chance to see some of the first team.
agdoc2001
AG
Booked a place to stay in San Jose. I'm going back and forth on whether to drive to LA and catch the second game or not.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TXAggie2011
AG
Chiori Johnson, 18 year old fullback, signed a new contract.

It seems the hope is he'll start to see some time with the first team in the coming seasons and then start to pressure for more substantial playing time as the veterans continue to age.

A bit of what we've seen with Bellerin, although Bellerin's ascension was particularly quick.
TXAggie2011
AG
The BBC and other outlets say Arsenal is close to a 30 million Pound move for Granit Xhaka, 23 year old central midfielder at Borussis Moenchengladbach.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granit_Xhaka

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/36347078?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_sport&ns_source=facebook&ns_linkname=sport
agdoc2001
AG
Leaked images of Granit in a kit. I'd say those rumors were "rock solid".

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
chjoak
AG
Xhaka just waiting on an announcement. Will wear 34. Coq switching to 8. Also rumors that Alexis will switch to 7 and Cech to 1.

Lots of speculation on other signings but nothing consistent yet. Bigger names that have been thrown around...
Ashley Williams
Manolas
Kante
Sissoko
James
Gotze
Morata
Icardi
Vincent Janssen
Batshuayi
Mkytarian
chjoak
AG
GK - No talk about our GK situation outside of Chez saying that he would like to stay at Roma but Roma not being able to afford Wengers asking price. Wonder if we could work a swap for Manolas?
CB - Musacchio and Benetia are popping up as CB targets with Manolas consistently rumored as the top option. I'm curious why there is little to no mention of Laporte. Between him being at mid table club and the Wenger French connection you would think he would be on the radar.
LB - Couple of under 20 names popping up but all rumors are saying these guys would be options IF Gibbs asks to leave.
RB - Heard nothing. Was thinking earlier today, what about Micah Richards. If he is willing to take a backup spot he might be a decent backup RB and emergency CB.
CM - Kante rumors are persistent but I think we are done.
W - Not much out there. Personally think we need to either add a starter quality or atleast add some new young blood that could work their way in. One interesting name I've seen recently is Sadio Mane. Mentioned as a guy we could go after if Ox left (rumored to be pursued by Southampton and Leicester).
ST - Morata is the only name that is consistently brought up. He did an interview with an Italian journo and said that if he leaves Juventus it will only be for a big CL squad in a top 2 league. After being asked for clarification he eluded to Real, Man City and Arsenal as his only options. I have currently seen no rumors of Man City interest.
wangus12
AG
New kits. Also Alexis will be wearing #7 from now on.

chjoak
AG
Torn on the kits. Like the square neck. Hate that they are still so damned tight. Indifferent on the stripe but kind of think it would look better without.
agdoc2001
AG
I am shocked that there's no smoke linking us to either Lukaku or Higuain. Morata seems like a much bigger gamble than either of those. Even if we made a run, there's a great chance we'd get outbid by a richer club, but you'd think we'd at least give it a shot.
chjoak
AG
Not sure I want Higuain anymore. Was 100% on board last summer but not sure I want to deal with the drama with Napoli anymore. Think he signed a new contract to get his buyout reduced but it is still 60m. Morata is a risk but he is still young and if we can get him for 40ish that's not a bad buy for a ST. Lukaku on the other hand would be awesome. Little different style of player but I think he could fit in well. Thinking he would easily cost 60m.
PJD Ag 10
AG
Man whatever happened to Michah Richards. He was going to be England's RB for a decade. Injuries I guess
chjoak
AG
IDK but I think he would make for a good addition especially considering AV are going down.
agdoc2001
AG
I noticed on the home kit preorder you can't get an Arteta or a Rosicky, but Flamini is available. Is this hinting that the Flamster is getting a new contract?
chjoak
AG
I hope not
Jason_Ag98
AG
Xhaka is official:

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20160523/arsenal-agree-deal-with-granit-xhaka
wangus12
AG
gougler08
agdoc2001
AG
quote:
Xhaka is official:

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20160523/arsenal-agree-deal-with-granit-xhaka
Looks like they finally "chiseled" out the details of his contract.

Right guys?

Right?

Guys?
chjoak
AG
Musacchio rumors are heating up
Morata rumors are dying down
New CB name coming up... Kalidou Koulibaly
gougler08
AG

So we are rich apparently...let's hope we actually spend a good chunk of this (already used some for Xhaka of course)
chjoak
AG
Wenger has been quoted as saying he plans to add 3 this window. I assume that is 3 starter quality guys. Speculation is that he plans to add Xhaka, a CB and a ST. Assume we will likely add 2-3 other smaller future type signings as we do most summers.
PJYoung
AG
https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/may/26/granit-xhaka-arsenal-leader-borussia-monchengladbach
PJD Ag 10
chjoak
AG
Rumors floating around that Pep isn't interested in keeping Sterling. Wenger has in the past expressed some mild regret for not pursuing him. If the rumor is true, would you want him?
agdoc2001
AG
Theo - 5 goals in 28 appearances
Sterling - 6 goals in 31 appearances

I feel like we already have Sterling on the squad. Biggest difference is Sterling is 21 and has room to improve while Theo is 27 and what you see is what you get at this point. I feel like Sterling may also be an even greater defensive liability than Theo is.
chjoak
AG
You could argue that part of that issue is how he was used at City. He isn't really suited for a 4-4-2. He was very good at Liverpool and I think he could be very good in our 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3. Plus if they are ditching him due to his performance we may get a half way decent deal.

As you pointed out, the bonus is the fact that he is just 21. Could make for a very good compliment to Alexis and his runs behind the defense would be sick.
chjoak
AG
More rumors this morning... supposedly both ManU and Arsenal have offered Zlatan 250k/week. Difference is they offered 8m signing bonus and we offered 5m. If true I would think a smaller bonus plus CL plus Ozil feeding him passes would be a better option. Wouldn't mind Zlatan/Giroud combo as long as we got a younger guy to fill in when needed.
chjoak
AG
number shuffles on the roster...

Alexis 7
Ramsey 8
Xhaka 16
agdoc2001
AG
quote:
More rumors this morning... supposedly both ManU and Arsenal have offered Zlatan 250k/week. Difference is they offered 8m signing bonus and we offered 5m. If true I would think a smaller bonus plus CL plus Ozil feeding him passes would be a better option. Wouldn't mind Zlatan/Giroud combo as long as we got a younger guy to fill in when needed.
We have always had an incredibly strict wage structure at Arsenal. 250k a week would completely obliterate that structure. ManU, on the other hand, has recent history of paying too much for a striker that doesn't run. He'll be at Manchester next year and they are welcome to him, in my opinion.
chjoak
AG
Heavy rumors filing around that we've triggered a 19m buyout clause on the contract of Swiss LB Rico Rodriguez.
wangus12
AG
Bellerin has started and performed very well for Spain over the last two Euro warm-up matches. Snagged an assist today. He and Juanfran are the only RB on the Euro squad so there is a decent chance he gets a start. Expect to see the Barca ******bags forcing a jersey on him by the end of the tournament and trying to convince him to move home. It worked so well with Cesc.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.