Houston Dynamo 2016 Season Thread

44,748 Views | 564 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by FW Declerk
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
On the plus side, the difference in defense from early season form is kind of amazing.
PJYoung
AG
Took a trip to Portland to beat the summer heat this weekend. The Timbers/Galaxy atmosphere was pretty amazing. Love that stadium!

We caught the Dynamo game at a sports bar. Lots of chance to come away with 3 points. Again.
Out in Left Field
AG
Tally Hall retiring

jeffk
AG
Yeah, to pursue a career in law enforcement.
wangus12
AG
Ran into Stuart Holden last night at the MLS All-Star game. Talked for a second. Didn't get a picture because he had his daughter strapped to his chest and I thought it would be weird
FW Declerk
lol no player was deemed worthy from Houston to play in the MLS all star game...

And Stumbldore is still on this team..What a dumpster fire.
Dre_00
Picked up a 20 year old Colombian winger on loan for the rest of the season with an option to buy. Can't recall his name and I'm by a pool in Kauai so I can't be bothered to look. But I could be bothered to post here such is my love for you fine people.
jeffk
AG
What part of Kauai?

Spent a couple months there growing up when my dad was shooting missiles from Barking Sands.
Dre_00
Hotel is in Lihue but we both drove by and...boated by?...Barking Sands the last couple days. Not a shabby island.
Texaggie7nine
More like barking spiders AMIRITE?!?!
7nine
jeffk
AG
Our condo was in Poipu. Kauai is a fantastic island. Loved it more than Oahu by a mile.
fig96
AG
Sorry to interrupt the island hopping discussion, but Yair Arboleda is the guy we picked up.

http://www.houstondynamo.com/post/2016/07/29/houston-dynamo-acquire-colombian-midfielder-yair-arboleda-qui-ones-loan-santa-fe
FW Declerk
quote:
Sorry to interrupt the island hopping discussion, but Yair Arboleda is the guy we picked up.

http://www.houstondynamo.com/post/2016/07/29/houston-dynamo-acquire-colombian-midfielder-yair-arboleda-qui-ones-loan-santa-fe

good pickup Sante Fe is a good Colombian side better than the Dynamo.
Dre_00
I've not been to Oahu but I don't think I'd like it nearly as much as Kauai or Maui. Next place to visit at some point is the big island.
Dre_00
In fairness, our discussion is more entertaining than the Dynamo right now.
Dre_00
Barnes traded to Vancouver for GAM and rights to Keyner Brown (a Costa Rican defender who had been training with the Dynamo relatively recently but who I assume Vancouver had a discovery claim on).

Eff everything.
Mustang1
AG
Barnes sent to Vancouver
Bryan98
AG
quote:
Barnes sent to Vancouver

DAFUG?!?!
FW Declerk
quote:
Barnes sent to Vancouver

Good he sucks
Bockaneer
AG
thank god my season tickets are more an excuse to hang out with my boys
Dre_00
Haha...OK.

Unmotivated? Probably. Inconsistent? Perhaps. Sucks? No.
FW Declerk
quote:
Haha...OK.

If he is so good why did we move him? This team already cant score...

Oh and what do your sources say about Bruin now?
fig96
AG
quote:
quote:
Haha...OK.

Because he has a big contract, huge by MLS standards (700k), and we need a lot more than one player.

I don't really like the move but it'll free up a ton of cap space. We're also apparently getting some allocation dollars in the deal.
FW Declerk
quote:
quote:
quote:
Haha...OK.

Because he has a big contract, huge by MLS standards (700k), and we need a lot more than one player.

I don't really like the move but it'll free up a ton of cap space. We're also apparently getting some allocation dollars in the deal.
You made my point for his contract he sucked.
fig96
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Haha...OK.

I guess I made your point as you're now apparently making a different point.

Barnes led the Dynamo in scoring 2 of the past 4 seasons, tied for the current season team lead, and was one of the few genuine attacking threats we had.

I do think he was overpaid on his current deal, but that's an entirely different argument.
FW Declerk
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Haha...OK.

I guess I made your point as you're now apparently making a different point.

Barnes led the Dynamo in scoring 2 of the past 4 seasons, tied for the current season team lead, and was one of the few genuine attacking threats we had.

I do think he was overpaid on his current deal, but that's an entirely different argument.
different point? My point was he sucked/overrated and you made it by saying he was overpaid.

Who cares about having the best stats on a terrible tam.
fig96
AG
If overrated and sucks are synonyms for you, then sure.

I don't consider a guy who was top 20 in scoring a few of the past few seasons in the "sucks" category, I'd say he was one of the most purely talented players on the Dynamo roster. But to each their own.
jeffk
AG
Sadly, if being overpaid is the measure of suckitude and winning games is the overall objective of our team, the whole damn roster sucks.
Bockaneer
AG
truth

not really sure anything can be fixed this season
Giles definitely talented but motivation may be an issue esp with our ongoing lack of success
a little momentum may take us a long ways

still, the front office owes us some clear and significant signings before next season
fig96
AG
I can't say I blame any player in orange for a lack of motivation at this point.

The defense as a whole has massively improved but the attack has been nonexistent. Not sure quite what needs to change moving forward but something needs to happen.
Bockaneer
AG
is Cubo on the roster tonight or has he already shipped out for the Olympics?
FW Declerk
Bruin still playing as a lone striker at top
Bryan98
AG
quote:
is Cubo on the roster tonight or has he already shipped out for the Olympics?

He wasn't there.

I was at the game, by the by. Thrilled to see a pretty nice dribbling attack and finish by Alex. Not so thrilled that Wondo scored his first ever goal against the Dynamo later on to tie it up.

Before the game I noticed a tweet from the Dynamo official account with a quote "The status quo is not acceptable" or words to that effect. Thank goodness! I mean, I knew that, but I wasn't sure THEY knew that, you know?
gig them
AG
The lack of transparency in MLS deals annoys me. The ESPN guys were talking about this during the national LA/Seattle broadcast.... it's really, really tough to assess a deal like the Barnes deal without knowing exactly what we got back.

Add that to the Castillo issue (MLS reports 150k, truth might be closer to 600-700k) and there's an interesting hidden side to the financials that other major sports in America don't have.
gig them
AG
I don't know who this 49 guy was for SJ, but he botched two beautiful chances. We had a nice flurry at the end as well, so a draw was probably a fair result.

Alexander didn't really do a ton, but he looked understandably uncertain in his debut in the middle of the park.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.