Coach G misses "Ashley Soccer"

21,589 Views | 121 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ColoradoMooseHerd
AgGermany
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Imagine the football coaches missed on Johnny Manziel... and he went to Failor U.

Well Coach G is missing Ashley York, and I am sorry for Aggie Soccer! He would not offer her a ship that she is getting at bu. She loves A&M, wanted to come here, but Coach G passed her over.

She is on the U-18 US National team, tough as nails, quick, fast, and has a motor that doesn't stop. She is Ashley York!

Mark it down...
jeffk
AG
Marked
TRM
AG
She was mentioned in the recruiting thread by jessexy. Pg 5 I think.
jessexy
AG
I'm good friends with the D'Feeters DOC and ECNL director. he's a really good guy who's put a crapload of players on major Div 1 programs all over the country.
sharpdressedman
Very disappointing.
gig them
AG
What are we marking down, exactly?

[This message has been edited by gig them (edited 1/15/2013 12:45p).]
blake2003
AG
So can we expect her to be the Hermann Trophy winner next year? Wow...
gambochaman
AG
well, clearly she doesnt fit G's scheme of slow pace ineffective old school soccer
EclipseAg
AG
Top Drawer has her ranked No. 10 in her class in Texas. So she is clearly a great prospect (and D'Feeters is top-notch club).

But we have the No. 1 and No. 2 Texas prospects for 2014 and the No. 1 prospect for 2015 already committed, so it's not like G is bypassing all Texas talent.

There has to be more to this story than "A&M doesn't want her." Perhaps we already doled out all available scholarship money?? Or maybe it was a positional thing.

csaggie75

[This message has been edited by csaggie75 (edited 1/15/2013 8:21p).]
redd38
AG
What exactly makes this seemingly run-of-the-mill player "ashley soccer"?
gig them
AG
I still don't know what we're marking down
jeffk
AG
I have a little notebook I carry around with me. Every time someone says to mark something down, I write their prediction in there.

After six and a half years on TA, CDub is wrong 97% if the time.
gig them
AG
Marked.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
^ smile icon!

[This message has been edited by BigJim49 AustinNowDallas (edited 1/17/2013 11:44a).]
AgGermany
AG
She is a dynamo, cracking shot, tireless, very good technically... on the National team, and only got 1/2 the offer bayrol made.

It think G didn't get it ... Like old yellow teeth Mac Brown missing on Manziel in the other football, so G misses Ashley York.

You can Mark down G missed on a National Team player, that wanted to be an Aggie.

Carnwellag2
you know that soccer recruiting is different from football recruiting, right? pretty sure that if she wanted to play for A&M and was willing to not let scholarship $$ be the deciding factor, then she could sign with A&M
blake2003
AG
So A&M did offer, but Baylor gave her twice as much of a scholarship. Got it.
redd38
AG
I assume she didn't want to accept any of the full scholarship offers from the ACC schools cause they're too far away. She DID have full scholarship offers from the top ACC schools, right? Since she's going to win the Hermann Trophy as a freshman and all.
CDub06
AG
quote:
After six and a half years on TA, CDub is wrong 97% if the time.

I correctly predicted a 4 goal game by Ashlee Pistorious. That buys me a LOT of leeway
AgGermany
AG
Carn... A1/2 ride is NOT a good offer for a US National Team player. Why would you want to go where you are 1/2 wanted?

G simply missed a great one, but, Ashley will get to play for a better coach, too bad it's baylol.
blake2003
AG
What kind of scholarships do you think national team players that go to UNC, UCLA, and Stanford get? (hint: it's not a full ride, or even close)
AgGermany
AG
Those teams are in a different class of women's soccer... You know that, right?

Yes, the teams average about 1/2 scholarship per player. There are several are on the team with nothing. I wish A&M was good enough to bring in the Top players at 1/2!

[This message has been edited by AgGermany (edited 1/21/2013 9:33a).]
Alan Johnson
AG
Aggies play longball soccer.. maybe her playing style wasn't suitable for this system.
redd38
AG
quote:
Well Coach G is missing Ashley York, and I am sorry for Aggie Soccer! He would not offer her a ship that she is getting at bu. She loves A&M, wanted to come here, but Coach G passed her over.

quote:
Yes, the teams average about 1/2 scholarship per player. There are several are on the team with nothing. I wish A&M was good enough to bring in the Top players at 1/2!

Lol, you're just all over the place with this thread aren't you?

There's nothing about this girl that makes me think she should be getting a full scholarship at a program like A&M. Which allows a program like Baylor to offer a full scholarship and steal her away. That's just how it goes. Everyone has to decide if they want to play for a big program or if they want more money. She picked the money over A&M. G didn't "pass her over", she passed on A&M. I wish her luck at Baylor, she'll probably win a conference championship with them (unless the Big 12 expands and one of the new schools is actually good at soccer).
blake2003
AG
Yeah Germany, sounds like you're personally connected to this girl. If you know how the scholarship system works, then why are you shocked?

Baylor isn't on the same level as A&M so they offer MORE scholarship money than A&M does to get the player. I guess in this case you could argue Coach G passed on A LOT of girls.
gig them
AG
Can't say it any better than the two people above me, so I'll just get my seat ready for the inevitable overly emotional response

AgGermany
AG
My point was that for what ever reason our mediocre coach passed on a dynamic player that wanted to play here. I don't diagree with the substance of what you said about. recruiting... I think G was gracious to her...

All the coaches know and work with each other...

I am saying this is a significant miss on a great player, that had she signed here would have been the top the 2013 class for my school!
redd38
AG
quote:
My point was that for what ever reason our mediocre coach passed on a dynamic player that wanted to play here.

He didn't pass on her. According to you he offered her a scholarship! She didn't want to take the scholarship so she went somewhere else. End of story.

If he passed on her then he wouldn't have offered a scholarship.
redd38
AG
Ashley is ranked #76 overall in the 2013 class.

Three of the four girls in our 2014 class are ranked higher than her. Two of them are in the top 10!

Tell me again why Ashley should get a full scholarship? If we give one to her then should we give one to the three girls in the next class ranked higher than her? Plus the other girl in the 2013 class that's ranked much higher than her. So that's 5 full scholarships for those two classes. We can give 14 total scholarships, so if we give out 7 every two years that leaves 2 full scholarships for the other 7 girls in those two classes.
redd38
AG
If you give the two top 10 girls a full scholarship then you have 5 scholarships left for the 10 girls left in the two classes, or a half scholarship each... see how much better the math works out when you're not giving full scholarships to girls ranked #76?
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:

Tell her to come to A&M and earn the other half.
AgGermany
AG
So, by your logic if G, offered a 10% ship, he would not be passing on her or any other player either? Perhaps you would tell kids to to just walk on... And give it a try that way?

I've NOT made any argument about roster size or ship available... It is also a wonder the US National team has room for the 76th best player in U-18...

Maybe you have seen her train, and play? If I had not seen her play over a good period of time, I'd agree with you...
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
It is also a wonder the US National team has room for the 76th best player in U-18...

I'm guessing if you were to look at a U-18 roster, they would probably have over 50 girls in the player pool.

I'm sure she's a pretty good player, but they involve a lot of players at the youth level. I believe A&M has 2 or 3 other 2013 and 2014 commitments who are part of the player pool at their respective age.

In the case of the U-18s, they're trying to evaluate a lot of girls to get ready for the upcoming U-20 World Cup 2014 cycle. I wish Ashley the best of luck at Baylor, best of luck as she tries to break into the U-20 group, and I hope she keeps A&M in mind if it were to not work out at Baylor.
redd38
AG
quote:
So, by your logic if G, offered a 10% ship, he would not be passing on her or any other player either? Perhaps you would tell kids to to just walk on... And give it a try that way?

By my logic G offers a scholarship that is appropriate for the player's skill level.

quote:
I've NOT made any argument about roster size or ship available

Yeah, we noticed. That seems to be the part you don't understand.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.