Recruiting Update

361,385 Views | 1066 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by Offside
redd38
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Apparently got a commit today
Expert Analysis
AG
3x
redd38
AG
Expert Analysis said:

3x

Yes, odd. Maybe triplets? Or G accidentally pressed the submit button 3 times? Weird to get three commits on a random Tuesday
sosolik
AG
Olivieri is graduating early and will be at A&M next year.
mullokmotx
AG
Looks like the NCAA is adopting new recruiting rules. Saw a story on Top Drawer Soccer.
Looks like no communication until June 15 after a player's sophomore year and no visits until after August 1 before the junior year. I assume if a player goes to a camp that doesn't count.

I was wondering if Barbara Olivieri was playing her last high school game when Tompkins lost in the state championship final. She scored a goal in the semifinal.

Mustang1
AG
Caroline Kniffen committed, HS class of 2022 from Dallas
King94
AG
Caroline Kniffen is great kid who happens to also be elite soccer player.

New NCAA rule, as of May 1st (today) you have to be a junior to commit to a school. So yesterday was the last day someone could commit before these new rules go in effect. Thus the reason we had three commitments from underclassmen yesterday.
mullokmotx
AG
So the next time G could make an offer to a current high school freshman is after June 15, 2020? I wonder if G can have any communication at all with a current freshman who has committed until then. I guess that also means the 2021 recruits cannot be contacted until June 15 of this year.
The early signing date for football really changed that sport's recruiting.
There is a disparity between sports. A football recruit can make an unofficial visit anytime but a soccer recruit, as well as other sports, cannot make an unofficial visit until August 1 before their junior year.
redd38
AG
I think the new way is better for us (and other top programs). We'll still get the same percentage of top recruits as before, but now those top recruits will be 2 years older so less risk that they don't develop like you were expecting them to in high school.
isitjustme
AG
redd38 said:

I think the new way is better for us (and other top programs). We'll still get the same percentage of top recruits as before, but now those top recruits will be 2 years older so less risk that they don't develop like you were expecting them to in high school.
The new way is also better for the players. It reduces pressure to commit when you see your teammates committing so early, and it reduces anxiety that comes from your teammates getting great offers early while you haven't yet had "quality" offers.

It's particularly good for the late bloomer, whether that be late in terms of skill/technique development or size/speed or both. These girls will get more looks from the better programs.

BUT, the first part of the junior years will be recruiting feeding frenzies that ought to be fun to watch. And maybe the pressure/anxiety reduction is actually just delayed and then condensed to a shorter time period.
Giggem
AG
I have a friend who is the mother of an elite lacrosse player. She told me the story of how her daughter's phone blew up with calls and texts from coaches on the east coast at 11:01 pm on the day before contact was allowed (i.e., at right after midnight on the east coast, so literally a minute into the day on which contact was first allowed). Sounds like the new rule will make for some fascinating late summer nights for the best soccer players in their junior HS years. What a rush that must be for the kids getting recruited!
mullokmotx
AG
The Top Drawer Soccer Recruiting Roundup for June 17 says we have a 2021 commitment from Natalie Abel of Rancho Mission Viejo California and the So Cal Blues. I think the new recruiting rules don't allow contact until after June 15 after a players sophomore year so that must be what happened. Seems like G's recruiting in California is picking up again.
HiddenAg2
Finally updated the commitment lists with the more recent commitments listed above. I have to say that Caroline Kniffen is an absolute steal and she is going to be very, very good. Has a great first touch on the ball, can pass with touch, and is elite at getting crosses into the box like Lopez currently does except she does it from the right flank. I also like Carolyn Calzada who is on the U-17 National Team. She could be special as well.

Makhiya McDonald recently was bumped to 5-star status after a strong Spring/Summer season. She is just clinical in front of goal and is fast and strong on the ball.

We may not see many more commitments until next Summer 2020 with the new recruiting rules as others have pointed out. 2022 kids can commit at that time but no one else, so this will make recruiting pretty crazy in the Summer months from now on with a deluge of commitments to keep up with then.
redd38
AG
HiddenAg2 said:

F Anderson Williams, 5'8", Calgary, AB (Vancouver White Caps) *** - Anderson might be the first prospect from Canada to play at A&M.

You forget Catalina "Canada" Clavijo
Gap
AG

Quote:

Finally updated the commitment lists with the more recent commitments listed above. I have to say that Caroline Kniffen is an absolute steal and she is going to be very, very good. Has a great first touch on the ball, can pass with touch, and is elite at getting crosses into the box like Lopez currently does except she does it from the right flank. I also like Carolyn Calzada who is on the U-17 National Team. She could be special as well.
Carolyn Calzada is the sister of Aggie QB Zach Calzada.

Rambotx
Thanks for the update Hidden! Look forward again to your thoughtfull post match analysis.
mullokmotx
AG
Thanks for the update. I had not heard about Kate Colvin. Thanks for the link to the Houston Chronicle story on her.
Diego
AG
Tomorrow is signing day for Aggie Soccer!
mullokmotx
AG
Aggie Soccer Twitter just posted that Laney Carrol had signed.
redd38
AG

redd38
AG

redd38
AG
redd38
AG
redd38
AG
redd38
AG
That's everyone unless there are any surprises
mullokmotx
AG
I have read that Barbara Olivieri will be here in January. Don't know about the other 6.
Looking forward to seeing them in maroon and white.
HiddenAg2
No surprises, everyone signed for 2020 class. It's a good class but I'm going to be more cautious about labeling it elite or anything similar until we see them on the field in the Spring. There are definitely some intriguing players in this group, particularly Henderson and Williams.

I will say it was painful to see so many elite prospects from Texas sign out of state. That has to stop if A&M is going to truly compete for a national title.
Rudyjax
AG
We're all those girls DA/ECNL?
mullokmotx
AG
Hidden, I can understand your comment about players going out of state. Of the 28 3, 4 or 5 star players as ranked by Top Drawer Soccer from Texas in 2020, 16 are going out of state with the only 5 star going to UNC.
DuncanField91
AG
Quick note on a recruit - Lauren Geczik's high school team knocked off defending 6A champs Southlake Carroll in their home stadium 2-3 today. Carroll has had an awesome run with a 43-1-3 home record since 2016. Carroll is ranked #4 in the top drawer SIMA Fab 50 national rankings. Lauren scored the first goal to start the comeback after being down 2-0 at half. Lots of fight in this one.
TRM
TRM
AG
Sawyer Dumond

Added a defender to the class.
mullokmotx
AG
It will be interesting to find out what her recruiting was like in a sport where most players commit by their sophomore year in high school. Should be an interesting start to the season in August with so many new players.
HiddenAg2
Added Dumond to the 2020 class. You can watch her highlights via the links on her profile. She has some good stopper instincts but not much is known about her.
HiddenAg2
mullokmotx said:

It will be interesting to find out what her recruiting was like in a sport where most players commit by their sophomore year in high school. Should be an interesting start to the season in August with so many new players.
Remember that recruiting has changed now for women's soccer because there is no contact with prospects until Summer of their Junior year, so right now there are no 2022 commitments allowed at all since the rule went into affect last year. Only 2021 are being recruited and most schools are already done with that class.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.