Recruiting Update

361,440 Views | 1066 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by Offside
HiddenAg2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
quote:
A&M picked up the commitment of Katie Smith for the 2019 class. A top 100 prospect nationally, she gives A&M two solid 4-stars to build the foundation of the class.
Great commit, but I gotta say I'm really glad I'm not a head coach at a top-25 type soccer program. These programs have to get athletes so young (Katie just finished her freshman year!!) and the coaches really have little idea if their commits will peak in 9th, 10th, 11th, or 12th grade, or if they have a lot of room for improvement once they hit campus. I really like G and the Aggie soccer program, but recruiting such young girls year in and year out can't be comfortable.
Unfortunately the coaches don't have much choice anymore because if they don't offer these kids in their freshman years they probably won't get them because they will commit elsewhere. It's crazy how early recruiting is for soccer now. Probably only basketball is similar with these early offers. Luckily for Coach G, most of his commitments over the years have panned out and been good players. One of the reasons we have Ally Watt is because the coaches offered her very early in the process before a lot of programs had fully scouted her or thought she was just a track athlete playing soccer. That was a great eval by Coach G and Phil and it's paid off big time.
KVK77TexAg
AG
Loved reading your updates and analysis of each player! As always, thanks very much.
CDub06
AG
Good stuff. I'm just eager for this season to get here.
redd38
AG
quote:
quote:
A&M picked up the commitment of Katie Smith for the 2019 class. A top 100 prospect nationally, she gives A&M two solid 4-stars to build the foundation of the class.
Great commit, but I gotta say I'm really glad I'm not a head coach at a top-25 type soccer program. These programs have to get athletes so young (Katie just finished her freshman year!!) and the coaches really have little idea if their commits will peak in 9th, 10th, 11th, or 12th grade, or if they have a lot of room for improvement once they hit campus. I really like G and the Aggie soccer program, but recruiting such young girls year in and year out can't be comfortable.

While we have two commits in the 2019 class, Texas has a 2021 commitment.
FalconRT90
Rheagen Smith 2017 called to U18 WNT Camp.

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-soccer-articles/u18--center_aid39860
HiddenAg2
With the recent discussion of past recruiting classes, I've gone back and updated the archived classes thread in the new format and also revised a few star rankings to match today's standards so it's easier to compare the quality of classes from a historical perspective.
redd38
AG
Olivia Ausmus will be an early enrollee.
redd38
AG
Addison McCain will be an early enrollee.
redd38
AG
Alexandria Griffin has flipped to Texas Tech apparently

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/high-school/high-schools/2017/01/02/southlake-carroll-soccer-star-ally-griffin-switches-commitment-texas-am-texas-tech
HiddenAg2
Well that's a big loss for the 2017 class obviously. We did have several forwards committed but she was the rising star (along with Rheagan Smith) of the group. Maybe she saw the logjam at forward and decided to go elsewhere. I was looking forward to seeing her have a big impact on the offense next season but I guess Tech has improved their program to a degree that they can offer almost as much as A&M except for academic strength.
Penaltykick
It's unfortunate, but by no means a disaster. With the return of Watt, a healthy Emily Bates, and Haley Pounds in her final season, scoring should be solid. Add in the predominantly forward-laden incoming class and the offense looks to be strong. Never hurts to have an additional weapon and Griffin seems a real talent, but I don't think this decommit will ultimately have a negative impact on next year's squad.
redd38
AG
Abby Grace Cooper is going to be an early enrollee.
mullokmotx
AG
I agree that having Ally for 3 more years may have been a factor in Griffin's decision. It was a little surprising that Tech had scholarship money available at this late date since most kids commit so early.
FalconRT90
Some other factor made her change her mind. Good players go to better soccer schools not lesser. If you are coming into a major successful program you will expect and want to play with the best.

I look forward to all the new players looking to make this program a success and, I miss all the former players who played their part in making this program successful when the new season starts.

I wish her the best of luck, and hope she has a successful experience at TT.
Aggie Futbol
What happened to the Southern California keeper who was to join the Aggies in 2017?
redd38
AG
Sophie Salverino is going to be an early enrollee.
redd38
AG
We got two transfers in this semester too:

Briana Alston (D Ashburn, Va./Florida State)
Cosette Morche (GK Lawrenceville, Ga./Louisiana-Lafayette)

Morche is listed at 6'2"
alamoaggie 64
Will Rheagen Smith still be coming? Graduating in May?
redd38
AG
Yes, she's still coming, just not graduating early.
mullokmotx
AG
That means 27 players on the spring roster and 28 on the fall roster with no more changes. After the College Cup year, we could only play 7 on 7 exhibitions in the spring because there were so few players.
mullokmotx
AG
Morche will be a junior and Alston a sophomore.
redd38
AG
Rumor has it that we're getting a girl from the Mexican national team in the fall. Not sure which one, I'm gonna try to figure out. She plays left outside back for them.
redd38
AG
My best guess is that it's Valeria Miranda. She's 24, but it looks like she was a Freshman at Tyler Junior College last year.

Tyler Junior College, btw, had 12 international players from 8 difference countries on their roster last year. They also played in, but lost, the NJCAA National Championship last year. They only allowed 23 goals in 26 games and had 12 shut outs. So a pretty good defense.

THIS GUESS HAS PROVEN TO BE INCORRECT
Penaltykick
This would be great news, as it addresses a gigantic needs for us.
Rambotx
We need an international presence on the Team. That helped WVU to the finals last year due to their recruiting Canadian players.
Penaltykick
Signing some international players would be nice. I'd be happy enough if we could get more players from Southern California and Colorado.
CDub06
AG
I've been doing my part in recruiting by waving the California flag every year
alamoaggie 64
Nebraska had a ton of Canadian players in the early years of the Big 12. They owned it until we took over.
redd38
AG
So my guess at the Mexican player was wrong. It's Jimena Lopez Fuentes.
akm91
AG
alamoaggie 64 said:

Will Rheagen Smith still be coming? Graduating in May?
Did not know it was Emmitt's daughter.

randy828
AG
Penaltykick said:

Signing some international players would be nice. I'd be happy enough if we could get more players from Southern California and Colorado.
I tried getting Coach G to take a look at my Brazilian friend a few years ago...surprisingly,he responded to the emails and I tried to get her to come visit, but she ended up going to a small college up in Washington. She completed her degree and is back in Brazil now.
coloradoag69
AG
For those of us who are less than intense recruiting followers for Aggie Soccer, would someone be willing to give a summary for the A&M class and how they think we met our needs.

Sorry to have to ask for someone to do more work, but I would really appreciate it.
mullokmotx
AG
At the recruiting celebration hosted by the 12th Man Foundation last night, Coach G said this may be the most talented class in the last 6 or 7 years, so I presume he meant since the class of 2011 which went to the College Cup as seniors. But I think the class of 2014 was pretty good since you got 3 3-year starters with Mikaela, Stephanie and Haley, and a 4-year starter with McKayla.
It certainly seems like we should have good depth this year. In 2014 G could rest Shea and Kelley at midfield because he could bring in Mikaela and Stephanie.
G said Jimena would come here in July.
Carnwellag2
Congrats to Coach G on recruiting this excellent class! He is one of the best!
CDub06
AG
Check the very first post of this thread. Hidden does a great job of keeping it updated and us informed.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.