Recruiting Update

361,437 Views | 1066 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by Offside
redd38
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sweet, she must have been one of the recruits at the game yesterday.
DannyO
AG
quote:
Sweet, she must have been one of the recruits at the game yesterday.
Yes, she was sitting a couple of rows in front of me. I noticed the VIP badge.
MidTnAg
AG
Will we have room for all of these players?

We currently have 5 sophomores and 9 fish on our squad.
redd38
AG
We got a 2018 commitment from Tera Ziemer. She's a midfielder from California.
redd38
AG
We just got a 2019 committement

Alexandra Russell, a forward from Katy, TX
http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-player-profile/alexandra-russell/pid-91089

CDub06
AG
Twenty...nineteen??
redd38
AG
Yep, not a typo... she's a freshman in high school
DuncanField91
AG
She's been called into USWNT U-15 camp at least once.
redd38
AG
Kendall Bates, sister of Emily Bates, a defender in the 2018 class has committed to Texas A&M
redd38
AG
Macie Kolb, a defender in the 2018 class, has committed to Texas A&M. She plays for Sting Dallas.

The '18 and '19 class are filling up faster than I expected.
redd38
AG
TopDrawerSoccer called Kendall Bates one of the top 10 defenders in the country.
Here4goodSoccer
Reagan Smith has been called into the next U-18 team camp.
redd38
AG
The class of 18 keeps on rolling... Karlina Sample, a defender from Frisco, has committed to the Aggies.
ENG
AG
^
^
^

This one is dear to my heart.

Carlina is a beast (I mean that in a good way, fantastic soccer player)
Smokedraw01
Great kid.
redd38
AG
It would seem Jordan Hill is going to enroll early.
HiddenAg2
Finally updated all the Fall commitments and updated the 2016-2019 recruiting classes.

Some quick thoughts:

> The 2016 class is a bit down compared to par for A&M, but I do think Jordan Hill is better than her current ranking and Jenna Byers is a solid prospect. After that we have some good players but they might need to develop some to become starters.

> The 2017 class is just getting better and better, especially now with the recent explosion onto the national scene of Rheagan Smith, who was recently called up by the U-18 National Team, and Alexandria Griffin, who is now nationally ranked as I predicted some time ago. This class now boasts six 4-stars with a couple of them (McCain, Cooper) borderline 5-stars. I'm very excited about this class. They could form a nucleus with Harvey/Pounds class to make a run at the College Cup.

> The 2018 class has gone heavy defense with some top prospects in Karlina Sample and Kendall Bates. I also think Tera Ziemer is going to be a special player at A&M (her sister who signed with Virginia was a 5-star prospect).

> Ali Russell is an early commitment for the 2019 class but she is an electric player. I think she's still underrated and I expect her to climb the rankings as she can really makes things happen offensively.

> While we have some really good talent coming in over the next several years, I am a bit concerned that we're not committing some of the elite 5-star type talent that can get A&M to another College Cup. Harvey and Pounds were Top 10 prospects in 2014, so we haven't seen any commitments from the Top 25 since then. There were several kids in Texas that we have missed on in the 2016 and 2017 classes that would have been great players for us. In 2018 there is still one uncommitted prospect and in 2019 there are two still available in Texas. We need to start signing a couple of these kids every few years to give ourselves a chance when we face a Florida St, Virginia, UCLA, or Stanford in the NCAA tournament. Overall I'm happy with our current classes but we really need some more elite talent to compete for a national title.
aggiebrad94
AG
Weird to see 2019. My daughter is 8th grade right now and that is just a year ahead. Hard to believe some of these girls are that advanced to get looks this early.
mullokmotx
AG
Thanks for the recruiting updates. Several of the 2016 class should be announced next week by Coach G after the semester starts. I believe the roster size has increased for next season but I"m not sure if that's a NCAA change or a SEC change.
redd38
AG
I don't know if it's SEC or NCAA, but I think we're 1 over our travel limit for next year.
Penaltykick
Since it's mid-January, there is still a lot of time for changes to be made to the roster (transfers), in addition to the potential for redshirt players and the injury factor.

While it may come to pass that the 2016 full roster exceeds the allowable travel roster, it's a bit early to speculate about that.
redd38
AG
quote:
Since it's mid-January, there is still a lot of time for changes to be made to the roster (transfers), in addition to the potential for redshirt players and the injury factor.

While it may come to pass that the 2016 full roster exceeds the allowable travel roster, it's a bit early to speculate about that.

It was someone on staff that told me we'd be one over, not me speculating. But I agree there's always the chance someone will transfer.
redd38
AG
I could be wrong, but it looks like we have 5 early enrollees this semester!
redd38
AG
Aldo the Apache
AG
http://www.12thman.com/news/2016/1/19/SOC_0119163350.aspx
mullokmotx
AG
Without having a roster, I think Callyn wears #24, Jordan wears #27, Bri has #3, Jenna has #8 and Cienna has #17. Jordan's father wore #27 at A&M so it's nice to see her have the same number.
EvenPar
AG
We live in BCS so we hear/read a lot about the College Station girls soccer team in the playoffs again. Anyone know if G might be looking at any of them?
isitjustme
AG
quote:
We live in BCS so we hear/read a lot about the College Station girls soccer team in the playoffs again. Anyone know if G might be looking at any of them?
As you probably know, G has seen a lot of those girls play since his daughter was on that same team 2013-15. If G is looking at any of them for recruiting, I'm sure it would be at their club games as opposed to their hs games. I can really only think of 1 on the team (a soph) who would be catching his eye. Other than that one, probably no others.
mullokmotx
AG
As everyone probably saw 2017 recruit Quinn Murphy enrolled last week. Hidden, how does this change your assessment of the 2016 class with a new 4 star player. I wonder if she might be the youngest player we have ever had.
TRM
AG
Linsey (Johnson) Woodard is the only other player I can think of graduating a year early.
HiddenAg2
quote:
As everyone probably saw 2017 recruit Quinn Murphy enrolled last week. Hidden, how does this change your assessment of the 2016 class with a new 4 star player. I wonder if she might be the youngest player we have ever had.
Obviously adding a Top 150 player (although TDS has recently dropped her out of their national rankings) to the 2016 class boosts it quite a bit. I think TDS has A&M's class currently ranked 27th, so with the addition of Quinn I'd place it somewhere between 12-15 nationally. Kentucky and South Carolina had the SEC's best classes, followed by Florida and now A&M.

Of course, on the flip side, the 2017 class has been lessened somewhat by moving Quinn up a year, so we will probably drop a bit in those class rankings. But it's still a strong class in '17.

A few other notes - Karlina Sample has exploded on the national scene and is now a 5-star prospect and headlines the '18 class. And Alexandria Griffin continues her meteoric rise and is now a Top 75 prospect for '17.
HiddenAg2
A&M picked up the commitment of Katie Smith for the 2019 class. A top 100 prospect nationally, she gives A&M two solid 4-stars to build the foundation of the class. Katie plays forward, so we could have an issue with 5-6 talented forwards looking for playing time. My guess is that a few of them will slide back to the midfield as that group is looking a bit thin starting in 2018.
redd38
Penaltykick
Love the updates, Hidden. Thanks.
isitjustme
AG
quote:
A&M picked up the commitment of Katie Smith for the 2019 class. A top 100 prospect nationally, she gives A&M two solid 4-stars to build the foundation of the class.
Great commit, but I gotta say I'm really glad I'm not a head coach at a top-25 type soccer program. These programs have to get athletes so young (Katie just finished her freshman year!!) and the coaches really have little idea if their commits will peak in 9th, 10th, 11th, or 12th grade, or if they have a lot of room for improvement once they hit campus. I really like G and the Aggie soccer program, but recruiting such young girls year in and year out can't be comfortable.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.