Recruiting Update

361,375 Views | 1066 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by Offside
redd38
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Grace Cory flipped her commitment from Alabama to Texas A&M. She's a midfielder on the Dallas Texans in the 2016 class.
HiddenAg2
Ok, some major revisions and updates to the commitments for each class have been posted. Changed some of the formatting as well. The 2014 class has been moved to the archive thread.

The 2015 class is now a consensus Top 10 class with the meteoric rise of Ally Watt, whom I think is a truly elite prospect with her blazing track speed and finishing ability when she gets into space. Really, really excited to see her in a few weeks on campus. She has been playing with the U-20 national team this year. Emily Bates is also a great prospect and I expect Kate Hajdu to come in and start almost immediately in the midfield.

The 2016 class is a bit below average for Coach G but I'm really excited to see Jordan Hill and Cienna Arrieta (another elite track athlete).

Right now I would say the 2017 class is looking very strong with 4 national level prospects but I'd like to us add one elite 5-star prospect before it's finished.
jeffk
AG
Great news
CDub06
AG
Thanks Hidden! I Always enjoy this thread
Penaltykick
Great update!
redd38
AG
You're missing Rheagen Smith from the 2017 list.
HiddenAg2
Good catch, I forgot about Rheagen as she is currently not listed as a commit (or even has a profile) with any recruiting service. It will be interesting to see if she starts showing up on some scouting reports this year now that she is committed to A&M. If anyone sees her play in person, please provide some thoughts.
CDub06
AG
I love the preseason group hug. I love you guys.
LovefortheGame
NCAA Coaches Poll came out this morning. A&M ranked #5 despite losing so many impact players. Big expectations for this group!
HiddenAg2
Although high preseason rankings are nice, they have absolutely no bearing on the actual season. They are simply reflections of how the previous year ended. I think we all know this will be a challenging year for A&M and a Top 10 finish is unrealistic.
Diego
AG
quote:
Although high preseason rankings are nice, they have absolutely no bearing on the actual season. They are simply reflections of how the previous year ended. I think we all know this will be a challenging year for A&M and a Top 10 finish is unrealistic.
HiddenAg2: In your opinion, what would be a realistic finish for this young team?
CDub06
AG
I'm personally just hoping for a 1st round win in the NCAAs.
Expert Analysis
AG
quote:
I'm personally just hoping for a 1st round win in the NCAAs.
host and win a first round game is good in my book.
HiddenAg2
Yeah, make the NCAA tournament and win a game is realistic.
jessexy
AG
I really don't want to be a downer, but Rheagan Smith is often the second or "off" forward on that Texans team. She's not the highly rated prospect because Madison Haley is the super legit player on that team. Haley has played for Texans from the beginning and has been a next level athlete AND soccer player from the start. Smith has recently joined the Texans, by comparison, and has been a next level athlete only, not a next level soccer player. She grew up on the Mustangs SC playing for Carl Bussey, who was an AA at SMU and played in a Final Four followed by a few seasons in MLS. He's a good coach that teaches technique and skills, but lacks in soccer tactics. He often let's the athlete take over from the soccer player during games.

That being said, Smith has alot of room to grow as a soccer player. She probably will help G get in with Madison Haley also. That Texans team is coached by Ryan Higginbotham, who's also currently an asst coach at TCU. The TCU staff are recruiting grinders and will continue to recruit Smith until signing day if they want her. If she gets better and the friendship turns into a "package" deal for Haley and Smith, A&M would stand a good chance. But you all should follow Haley's recruitment too, just in case.

For a reference point, Rheagan Smith could turn into a player similar to Whitney Hooper by the time she ends up at A&M. But she could also be similar to Christina Oheari from the 90s teams
Penaltykick
Didn't Madison Haley already commit to Stanford?
redd38
AG
quote:

Yep. Stanford isn't the sort of school you de-commit from either.
blake2003
AG
quote:
quote:

Yep. Stanford isn't the sort of school you de-commit from either.
Well she might go for a last minute visit and witness some things she doesn't like and suddenly commit to Baylor.
redd38
AG
Well it's a tough decision since a Baylor degree and a Stanford degree are basically the same thing and Baylor has the best athletic program in the universe. Plus 23% of Baylor graduates go on to win the Nobel Peace Prize.
jessexy
AG
Yes she committed to Stanford. I'm not sure she's Stanford material though, if you know what I mean. I'm sure they've got a great setup for athletes there, but you've still got to be able to do the work to stay eligible. Most all of the athletes they've been putting lately are high IQ types, with Chioma, Alina Garciamendez, Andrew Luck, even Richard Sherman.

Also, I know that Greg Hill and Emmitt are good friends and they're working on Charles Haley to get their daughters to go to the same school. Daughter's of NFL players club kinda thing. I don't think it'll work out, but it sure would be great to have them all at A&M together.

Other news, I was told Rheagan Smith tore ligaments in her ankle recently. No surgery required but just sounds like long term injury she's got to deal with.
redd38
AG
I still don't think she'll de-commit from Stanford though. If anything she'll try it for a year then transfer to a school in Texas.
HiddenAg2
Flipping a commitment from Stanford would be extremely difficult. We simply can't compete with their perceived degree quality. I actually think A&M graduates can make as much as Stanford graduates, but that's another story. If Greg and Emmitt can convince Charles to push her to A&M then maybe there's a chance but it's slim. Also, we don't know if there is enough scholarship money to offer Haley a 7/8 ride as Stanford almost certainly has done. A&M already has several other top recruits that may have taken that money. In order to get her we may have to cut someone loose, which I don't think Coach G will do. I think the ship on Haley has sailed unfortunately. But yes, she is an elite recruit and would have been great to sign her.
jessexy
AG
If Haley wants to come to A&M, G will make it work. Probably a full ride too. He's notorious for taking schollie money away from seniors and giving it to incoming freshman. I know of 3 different players that have had it done to them at A&M. They either transferred or quit the team. It's the business.

I won't predict if she'll de-committ from Stanford, but if she A) doesn't get in thru admissions or B) can't make the grades in year 1, all bets are off.
LovefortheGame
jessexy and fellow Aggie fans:

1. I think we should all appreciate the fact that recruits, players and their families often read forums such as this.
2. Madison Haley is a very bright young lady who attends a rigorous college prep school in Dallas (Ursuline Academy), She will have no problem with admissions or grades at Stanford and to make such a suggestion on a public forum is inappropriate to say the least.
3. Rheagan Smith is a great soccer player and athlete. We are lucky to welcome her and her family into our Aggie family independently of any other player.
4. It is highly unlikely that any player, let alone Madison Haley, would de-commit from a program like Stanford just to follow the daughter of one of her father's friends/former teammate.
5. Coach G and his staff have done an amazing job of creating a top 10 soccer program in College Station and putting Texas A&M Soccer on the map.

redd38
AG
I feel like a z-snap is in order.
Penaltykick
Well stated.
FalconRT90
Alexandra Griffin A&M commit 2017

• Pos:Forward
  • City:Plano
  • State:TX
  • Club:Dallas Texans

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-player-profile/alexandria-griffin/pid-57763/tab-college-choices

http://www.eliteclubsnationalleague.com/teams/68833268/38233845-68833330/TEAM.html

Penaltykick
She was at the game on Saturday night - announced her commitment shortly after. Looks like another good addition!
redd38
redd38
AG
quote:

http://www.eliteclubsnationalleague.com/teams/68833268/38233845-68833330/TEAM.html

According to this we now have commitments from the top two scorers on that team.
HiddenAg2
I've added the commitment of Alexandria Griffin. I'm very excited about this commitment because she is extremely underrated nationally. She is one the best pure goal scorers in the country and leads the Dallas Texans offensive attack. Fast and strong in possession, I think she'll eventually move into the Top 100 prospects nationally if these recruiting sites have any common sense. She is a good one.
Penaltykick
The 2017 class is really shaping up to be outstanding. Any guesses as to when we will begin nabbing some 2018 commitments?
redd38
AG
Although some 2018s are already committing, I wouldn't expect any until after the season is over.
redd38
AG
Recruiting rankings from herosports.com

http://herosports.com/collegesoccer/womens-soccer/d1-womens-soccer-top-25-teams-impact-players/

SEC teams:
8 - Tennessee
15 - Florida
16 - Texas A&M
17 - Kentucky
EclipseAg
AG
Saw on Twitter today at Ali Russell has committed to A&M ... she's a forward for Albion FC's 01 ECNL team and attends Cinco Ranch HIgh School.

She was named an MVP at Coach G's soccer camp in 2014. She also participated in the US Soccer U15 Girls' National Team Training Camp in March.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.