Recruiting Update

361,438 Views | 1066 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by Offside
Penaltykick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Another 2016 commit - Cienna Arrieta - also a Track & Field athlete (no mention of whether she will do both at A&M). Says she plans to enroll early.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/sports/ci_28292941/eastwood-star-verbally-commits-texas-m
redd38
AG
quote:
Another 2016 commit - Cienna Arrieta - also a Track & Field athlete (no mention of whether she will do both at A&M). Says she plans to enroll early.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/sports/ci_28292941/eastwood-star-verbally-commits-texas-m

I'm excited about this girl from that article. Early enrollees are awesome, but she's taking it a step further and graduating this summer then spending the fall just training for soccer. Plus she's a very fast left footed forward.

The article says one of her teammates committed too, but I can't figure out which one.
TRM
AG
So confused...Is she a 2015 or 2016 recruit? I know she's from Dyestat she's supposed to be a Sr this yr, so if she's coming in a yr early she should be reclassified to 2015, right? Or is she coming in a semester early?
TRM
AG
Grace Piper plays for Texas Rush also. From looking at her times, I don't think she's a dual sport athlete.
redd38
AG
That article made it seem like it was someone other than Grace Piper... but maybe not.

And Cienna will still be 2016, she's just coming one semester early. The soccer training she'll do in the fall is not with A&M.
Expert Analysis
AG
would this girl be considered a project? doesn't seem to have much experience, but high upside being a speedy lefty.
redd38
AG
I couldn't find any other teammate that has committed... this girl apparently really wants to though: http://www.ncsasports.org/womens-soccer-recruiting/tx/conroe/conroe-high-school/sarah-stevenson
redd38
AG
quote:
would this girl be considered a project? doesn't seem to have much experience, but high upside being a speedy lefty.
The article says she's been playing club soccer since she was 3...
Expert Analysis
AG
Yeah, I meant any national team experience/camps and what not. I know nothing about her except she played club ball.
Don't most high level female players play club, high school, and various levels of national teams?
redd38
AG
Yeah, she doesn't seem to have ever been a national team pool player, but most of our recruits aren't. Only a few in each class are.
Here4goodSoccer
So I know I promised I would do some preseason scouting of the ECNL tournament for our commits, but unfortunately my job has me stuck for a few days in Key West (rough, I know). I'm hoping I'll see some action before the tournament ends, but when it comes to broken airplanes in the military you don't ever know when things will be fixed.
jeffk
AG
You're fired.
Penaltykick
TopDrawer will likely have recaps, as well as possibly score updates via Twitter. Draw your own conclusions about the value of TopDrawer recaps (or predictions, rankings, etc.)

Of our 2015 newcomers, I believe only Emily Bates (Dallas Texans), Brittany Crabtree and Kate Hajdu (Dallas Sting) are competing. Not sure about any of our younger commits. U18's begin play tomorrow.
Here4goodSoccer
Overall, I am impressed with the incoming talent from what I saw yesterday. I'm excited to see the immediate impact they will make early in the season if they remain healthy through preseason.

Emily: Goods- Speed is a huge plus with her. If she is fed into space or takes a touch into space I noticed she was able to create numerous chances, whether a shot on goal or pass to a teammate. She was playing in a withdrawn forward position and then slowly moved in to a true forward position. She has good touches and I liked her creativity with some of her passes. She had a 1v1 with the GK and unfortunately shot it right at her, but her first shot of the game was just wide and well shot. Goals will not be an issue from her as we can see from her 80+ HS season. I think she will work well in G's system up top or out wide, if he utilizes a different formation with an outside mid. Others- Small in size, but as we can see with Miki that may not mean too much. The other team wasn't too physical, so I am not sure how she will adjust to a more physical college game. Also, the pace of the game was slower than usual and that may have been because both teams knew it was their last game and it wasn't a win and go on situation. If she can adjust to a much faster game and be physical she will have an easy time adjusting because she has the technical ability.

Brittany: Goods- Height for sure. I didn't see too much play in the first half from her because the Sting utilized the left side (way more than they needed to) and Brittany was playing right forward. The times she went up for a ball it looked like she had good control in the air. Her off the ball movement was excellent as well. Her runs in the box were in good position to win the ball if a cross came to her (in front of the defender). Most of the crosses were deflected out or to the near post runner. I watched her on a 1v1 against the GK (after a great through ball) late in the 2nd half where she was very calm and slid the ball into the goal. She has confidence and I like it. Others- I didn't see much physical play from her. It was too bad Sting didn't use the right side more because I would have loved seeing more out of her. Very similar to Annie Kunz (besides being tall and blonde) I think Brittany has a little more natural talent with her touch compared to Annie. Paired with her and Kate, Karlie may have another 10 assist season next year.

Kate: Goods- Very physical. Work rate is high to get the ball back if lost. My favorite thing about her is movement off the ball. She was always asking for the ball or moving to be in a position to receive the ball. Others- Tatu spent a good amount of time picking on her for the slow pace of play. I read earlier in the thread that she was severely underrated by TDS and this game was unfortunate to watch to prove that wrong. Another thing of note is she is skinny. This may cause her to easily get muscled off the ball (with players like Savannah Jordan), but her tenacity counters this. Off season weight training will help this issue and it shouldn't be too much of a concern in the future. Overall, Kate may have had an average game, but I am not worried about her. Janae and her will be a commanding presence in the midfield and I hope she gets some minutes to speed up her play.

2017 Commitments (I watched 30 minutes of their game)
Abby Grace Cooper- I was surprised by her. I would compare her to Kelley Monogue in her shot taking abilities. She took a 30 yd free kick that went just wide of the upper 90, but it had amazing pace and placement was just off. Took another rocket shot that went off the crossbar 5 minutes later from 20 yds out. Finally scored a great goal off a difficult pass with placement in the right side past the outstretched diving GK. I loved her creativity with her passes, even if they were sometimes unsuccessful. I hope she stays committed and continues to develop her game because she could have a big impact during her 4 years.

Addie- Didn't see too much play from her, but still impressed with her touch and movement to get into a passing lane. One thing she will need to work on is her defending. I thought it was a little lazy with sticking her leg out hoping to get a piece of the ball and then hoping her defender will actually get to the ball. Sorry I don't have more on her, but she is good.
Here4goodSoccer
I can go into more detail about the players if you want, but I wanted to give an overall opinion. And for the whole Julie James bit, I thought she played extremely well and G may have lost out on grabbing her. Is it a huge loss? Not at all. It would have been a nice addition to have her and hope she would consider transferring in the future if Baylol doesn't work out. She scored a great header goal off a free kick, but Kate was right behind her ready to hit it in as well. I wasn't around for the Ashley soccer debacle, but this could be a repeat
Penaltykick
Thanks Here4good - great recaps and interesting insights. Getting really excited to see our new, young team on the field in a couple of months.
LovefortheGame
For the record, nothing Coach G could have done (money or otherwise) would have convinced James to sign at A&M. Kate is her best friend and could not convince her to sign. James decided on Baylor for religious/moral reasons. James is a great player, but she never played HS soccer, so she has no idea what it is like to play soccer with players who are not as talented as she is. Her Sting team is loaded with talent and has been for 4+ years. Hence their record. Great teams foster great training and produce great players. I believe James will be disappointed when she steps on the field at Baylor with a cast of players who are not what she is used to playing with - whether it is for a game or for training. A&M will not have that problem. Watt, Bates, Hajdu and Crabtree are very good players who will feed off each other and those remaining on the team. And, the future commits continue to get brighter each year.
redd38
AG
If she went to Baylor for religious/moral reasons then she's going to be disappointed by more than just the quality of play.
jeffk
AG
Unless she actually wants to study religion or ministry.
redd38
AG
Regardless of her major I think she'll be disappointed to find Baylor in general isn't as religious or moral as they want people to think they are.
redd38
AG
Our new freshmen are arriving this week.
CDub06
AG
quote:
If she went to Baylor for religious/moral reasons then she's going to be disappointed by more than just the quality of play.
CDub06
AG
Emmitt Smith's Daughter, Rheagen, committed to Aggie Soccer
jeffk
AG
I named my gerbil Emmitt. Really hits close to home.
Penaltykick
Is Rheagan a 2017 commit? This would appear to be a nice get for G and the team.

BTW, HiddenAg, where you at? It's been the longest time since you gave us an evaluation/update on our current and future recruits!

Any word on recruits for 2018 (can't believe I'm asking about recruits for 2018 ... but I am)? Most of the "big names" are beginning to grab theirs.
jeffk
AG
Showed my wife the list. Turns out she coached Olivia Ausmus in JH.

***Cool story bro protected.***
redd38
AG
quote:
Is Rheagan a 2017 commit?

Yes
alamoaggie 64
What class is Emmit Smith's daughter?
jeffk
AG
Check the post right above yours.
Yell Practice
SIAP
quote:
Emmitt's daughter has (allegedly) committed to playing soccer at Texas A&M.
CDub06
AG
Check the post right above yours
Yell Practice
Best of Luck at Aggieland - Rheagan.
Here4goodSoccer
Just finished watching the USL W-League finals in which Ally Watt was playing. I'm so excited to watch her play for the Aggies. She already has what took Brinson 3 years to develop while playing the outside right position. I'm interested to see if G will stick with the past formation and use Ally out on the right or try to develop her somewhere else. How many more weeks??
Penaltykick
This is an exciting update! Thanks for the insight.

The Ags will be a VERY young team this year, and the graduating Seniors were the most successful class ever. But this year's freshmen probably have more "big time" experience upon arrival than the '15 class. When '15 arrived in College Station, ECNL had only been in existence 1 year. There were not as many semi-pro or pro opportunities for players during the off season in 2011. By comparison, I *think* (I haven't done the detailed research) that the '19 class has more National Team, ECNL, ODP, and other high level competitive experience. All of this hopefully bodes well for a swifter learning curve and adjustment to the demands of the college game.

LovefortheGame
You are correct Penaltykick. Of the 9 freshmen, 7 played on ECNL teams and 4 have attended National Team Camps. All but 3 have been invited to Id2 camps. Not sure about ODP, but ECNL and Id2 camps have pretty much replaced ODP. Another exciting thing about this group is that most are from strong, winning programs. They are used to winning, and they are not accustomed to and do not like losing. They are very competitive. It will be a building year for sure most likely with a few tough losses, but they might do better than what many expect.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.