Recruiting Update

361,363 Views | 1066 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by Offside
Agssoc2008
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Something from the newspaper on one of the new recruits.

http://ocvarsity.freedomblogging.com
/2011/02/02/girls-soccer-sms-edwards-headed-to-texas/153542/

[This message has been edited by Agssoc2008 (edited 2/7/2011 9:52p).]
Expert Analysis
AG
http://ocvarsity.freedomblogging.com/2011/02/02/girls-soccer-sms-edwards-headed-to-texas/153542/
Agssoc2008
Thanks for the help!
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
I really like soccer but don't follow it as closely as I would if I still lived in CS.

A real good friend of mine in Denver coaches elite level Juniors in Colorado and travels with a group all over the USA and a few other countries.

He called me this morning to absolutely GUSH over Annie Kunz (sp?) he said she is one of the best players he has ever seen play and has gone out of his way on several occasions to catch one of her games. He scouts and grades for a competing Unversity (he didn't tell me which one for reasons that I don't know) and feels like Annie could end up the career NCAA scoring leader if she stays healthy. Plays defense. Extremely focused. Huge physical talent that should start as a true fish.

FWIW
redd38
AG
quote:
...feels like Annie could end up the career NCAA scoring leader if she stays healthy

118 goals is the current record, in case anyone was wondering. The A&M record is 82 (or 81 if you ask the NCAA).

[This message has been edited by redd38 (edited 2/11/2011 1:42p).]
Agssoc2008
I doubt she will reach that number of 118 in her college career, but she might do it during her high school career. She currently has 71 goals with her senior year starting in another month. I plan on seeing her in action in the ECNL tournament in San Antonio on March 5-6
HiddenAg2
Annie is a special talent, and yet she did not make Top Drawer Soccer's Top 100 list. I still cannot believe that. She is going to make them look very, very stupid in a few years.
CDub06
AG
I hope all of you are right on.
QuitetObserver
quote:
How t.u.'s class looks? OSU? Others?

http://www.texassports.com/sports/w-soccer/spec-rel/021711aaa.html

[This message has been edited by QuitetObserver (edited 2/17/2011 6:35p).]
jessexy
AG
i saw Solar 94 yesterday in an ECNL match and they are stacked. interesting tidbit though.....Taylor Smith has de-committed from FSU. The girl is a phenomenal athlete that just overwhelms other girls with speed and skill. i was told Stanford is a major player for her, but I'd watch out for Tceh cuz her older sister plays there and she seems to not mind the type of coaching she'll get there either.....

Hand Of God
AG
Stanford >>>>>> FSU >>>> Tech
jessexy
AG
you're correct, but $$$$ will play a role in her recruitment also. how much either school can offer will be critical to landing her.

FWIW, i think she's the 2nd best player on her team. they have a midfielder committed to Rice (coached by A&M great Nicky Thrasher) that is just amazing. i think they call her Quinnie. education was #1 in her process with soccer being a smaller part of the equation.

Smith is an outstanding player, but Quinnie is the engine of the team......think Messi & Xavi for Barcelona.
HiddenAg2
Yeah, her name is Quynh-Nhu Truong and I agree she is very good. She has national team experience as well. I'm not sure if Coach G recruited her or not but she has some serious skill on the ball and is a great passer.

Also, when I scouted Smith last summer I wasn't overly impressed with her at all. She's a great athlete and is fast, but her technical ability and soccer IQ needed work. She's still a Top 75-100 player based on her athletic ability, but I think she paled in comparison to a few others such as Alex Arlitt (LSU signee) who was the best player I saw in person last summer. I'm still upset that Coach G didn't even seem to recruit her. She'll be one of the SEC's better players over the next few years.
jessexy
AG
yeah, they both are supposed to go to camp with the U20s next week over Spring Break.

Hidden, u havent posted you're rankings in a while. r u gonna do that again soon?
HiddenAg2
Well, 2012 recruiting is basically over at this point, but here's how I would rank the Top 10 in Texas (the previous list was a Top Drawer Soccer list):

1. Abby Smith, GK (Dallas Texans) - Texas
2. Glory Williams, M (Dallas Sting) - Notre Dame
3. Heather Magee, M (Solar SC) - LSU
4. Lissi Lonsberry, M (Dallas Texans) - SMU
5. Shelby Soldat, D (Dallas Texans) - Ohio State
6. Jana Jeffrey, M (Dallas Texans) - Boston College
7. Jordan Hatler, F (Challenge) - Baylor
8. Taylor Smith, F (Solar SC) - Uncommitted
9. Caity Heap, M (Dallas Sting) - Texas Tech
10. Kelsey Shimmick, F (Dallas Texans) - Texas

As I've stated several times previously, I'm really not happy that we weren't able to land several of these kids, especially Smith, Lonsberry, and Soldat. Despite what Coach G says publicly, he recruited them hard and lost all of them. Playing against Smith at Texas for the next 4 years will not be fun. One of my ongoing concerns in recruiting is our inability to sign any players off of the Dallas Sting and Solar SC clubs, both of which are loaded with elite talent every year. In fact, I can't remember the last time Coach G got anyone from Sting. Even our long-time connection with the Challenge SC has been unproductive lately, with most of their top talent going to LSU.

The 2013 class is still early, but I haven't seen too many of the top prospects play yet. I'll have a Top 10 later this summer, but here's some of the elite prospects in Texas:

1. Mikaela Harvey, M (Lonestar SC) - Unknown
2. Jenny Chui, F (El Pas Galaxy) - UNC, Stan, UCLA, ND, Duke, A&M, Harvard
3. Joanna Robertson, M (Challenge SC) - Committed to Oklahoma St
4. Julia Dyche, M (Dallas Texans) - Duke, Stan, UCLA, USC, Va, SC, ND, Texas
5. Maddy Crabtree, F (Dallas Sting) - Unknown

So far it's not an ecouraging start for A&M with Robertson heading to OSU and Chui being a longshot at best. IMO Harvey is an absolute must for Coach G and he's had success with the Lonestars kids.

[This message has been edited by HiddenAg2 (edited 3/1/2011 9:49a).]
CL-ag
Hidden

Alex Arlitt is class of 2011 not 2012

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=27837&SPID=2168&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205087816&DB_OEM_ID=5200
HiddenAg2
You are right about Arlitt. Sometimes the classes blur together, sorry about that. I have corrected above.
EclipseAg
AG
Hidden, have you seen Eclipse 95 Black play, and if so, how would you rate some of their top players?

They are a PL West team, on par with Challenge 95, Lonestar 95 and Solar 95, not as strong as Sting or D'Feeters.
Fanofsoccer
Recruit Update From California.

They are currently wrapping up the winter season with playoffs. San Clemente top seed at 18-2-7(Janae Cousineau 2012) beat Santa Margarita at 24-4-3 (Leigh Edwards 2011) in Semi's with PK's after game ended in 1-1 tie. Edwards season is over. She finished with 5 goals and a team high of 19 assists. Janae Cousineau's goes into the final game with a team leading 17 goals.

Perry and McDermott not playing high school soccer.

Down south in San Diego County, they are also in play-offs. Top seed Torrey Pines at 19-2-4 (Allie Bailey 2011) has made it to the championship game. Her 19 goals are 2nd highest on the team, while she is tied for the lead in assists at 15. In last 4 games she has 6 goals and 5 assists.

Noticed that one of the teams listed above played 31 games. That is a lot of games. Do any of the Texas teams play that many games during a season?
jessexy
AG
I know i updated on SMith and Quinnie, but i forgot to mention Magee. she was ok when she played, but i was told she was battling injuries and fatigue from HS soccer. she seemed disinterested and tired in the game, but was really good on the ball when she felt like running at players. . If she was #12 like i remember, she seems the most like at Aggie player than the other 2 i mentioned.

BTW, Sofia Vergera is really HOT!!!
HiddenAg2
Heather Magee is very good, but she has been battling injuries for almost a year now. That has to be concerning for LSU going forward.

Good to hear about the Cali girls. They are going to be fun to watch at A&M this Fall.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
How is Kelley's last name Monogue pronounced?
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
How is Kelley's last name Monogue pronounced?
redd38
AG
You can hear Coach G say her name at the 8:35 mark of this podcast: http://v4.texags.com/Stories/1370
jessexy
AG
they pronounced it Mo-nogue at the Boyd HS game. like the singer Kylie Monogue. NOT like Romeo and Juliet (Mont-a-gue & Capulets)
soccerlover

[This message has been edited by soccerlover (edited 3/28/2011 11:54a).]
Red Elephant blanc
Does anyone have any highlight videos on alex arlitt? Heard a lot about her but I haven't gotten to see her play. Also what are your thoughts on Emily Taylor? State championship last year and led her team to the regional finals this year. I think she has a verbal commitment with nebraska
HiddenAg2
I haven't seen Emily Taylor play so I can't comment on her.

Arlitt is a special player in the midfield and I would bet money that she will start at LSU this Fall. She is incredibly underrated as both an athlete and overall soccer player. When I scouted her a few years ago she was the best player on a field (by a wide margin too) loaded with elite talent that are ranked much higher than her by the recruiting services. She is very quick on the ball, makes great passes and decisions, and clearly understands how to position herself to create space and move the offense into the attack. Her biggest asset though is that she outhustles everyone on the field, which makes her even more dangerous. I predict she will be an All-SEC performer at LSU. I was really disappointed that Coach G either didn't recruit her or just lost her to the Tigers.
jessexy
AG
any of our girls going for the TX state HS championships this weekend? Mckinney Boyd is in it right?
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
sounds like Munoak emphasis on the oak
Red Elephant blanc
So would you consider arlitt one of the best in the state? Do you have any highlight tapes? By the way just watched the Allie Bailey tape and wow! A&M really scored big with her
HiddenAg2
Yes, Arlitt was easily Top 10 in the state. I would have ranked her higher if I was personally recruiting her for a school, but there are some prospects in '11 that were better overall athletes with a higher upside. It depends on how you grade recruits I guess. Do you put more emphasis on the prospects skills now or their potential once coached in college? Tough decision. I don't have any highlight tapes of her. I only scouted her in person a few times at tournaments.

Yes, Allie Bailey is a special player and we've been touting her for almost 2 years now. She will team with Katie Perry to form a great midfield in the future.
QuitetObserver
quote:
How t.u.'s class looks? OSU? Others?

A couple of more Spring signees for the 'Horns, one of which is a transfer from Notre Dame:

http://www.texassports.com/sports/w-soccer/spec-rel/042011aaa.html

[This message has been edited by QuitetObserver (edited 4/20/2011 6:53p).]
HiddenAg2
Texas has quietly put together a very nice class for '11 when you include the transfers. Getting Wedemeyer to switch her commitment from Stanford to Texas was a huge pickup for them. I had really hoped A&M would get her, but obviously we had no room now. Texas' talent level is improving and I think they will be a threat to A&M over the next several years.
melcpa86

[This message has been edited by melcpa86 (edited 4/22/2011 9:05a).]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.