Recruiting Update

227,595 Views | 892 Replies | Last: 15 hrs ago by Diego
HiddenAg2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
10/13/19
Updated commitments for Kate Colvin, Natalie Abel, Abby-Lee Sanogo, Carolyn Calzada, Caroline Kniffen, and Margo Matula.

Star Ratings Guide
***** National Top 25 prospect (elite impact player)
**** National Top 100 prospect (high level player with elite potential)
*** National Top 250 prospect (solid player and potential starter)
** Regional prospect (needs some development)

CLASS OF 2019 - OFFICIAL

F Taylor Ziemer, 5'9", Santa Rosa, CA (Santa Rosa United/Virginia/ADO Den Haag) ***** - The big surprise of the class is the addition of Taylor from Virginia after a stint in Europe playing professionally this year in Holland. She still has 2 years of eligibility and was a 5-star recruit in 2016. She was a star at Virginia (32 points over two seasons) and will be quite a tandem with Watt for the offense next year and will also get to play with her sister Tera again. She was a member of the U-19 US National Team as well. I'm going to add her as part of this class because she did not play collegiate soccer in 2018.
> Top Drawer Soccer National: #23 (2016)
> Top Drawer Soccer NoCal Region: #2 (2016)
> U-19 National Team (2018)
> California Gatorade Player of the Year (2015, 2016)

F Ali Russell, 5'3", Katy, TX (Albion Hurricanes FC) **** - Ali is one of the most electric forwards in the country with her quickness and speed, already a mainstay on the U-15 National Team Camps. She is a very fluid player with great on-ball skill and she can change directions quickly when needed. Her work rate on the field is impressive and she continues to improve in all facets of her game. This is a great pickup for Coach G who will need future impact players on offense.
> Top Drawer Soccer National: #52
> Top Drawer Soccer Texas Region: #4
> U-15 National Team Camp (2015)
> ECNL Profile
> Articles: Top Drawer Soccer

D Katie Smith, 5'8", Tulsa, OK (TSC Hurricane) **** - A tall forward who can also play in the back and comes from the same club as 2016 signee Jenna Byers. Coach G seems to be building a pipeline to TSC Hurricane. Katie has been gaining attention nationally after her recent performances in the ECNL and is now a Top 100 prospect. She has superior speed and strength on the ball and is not afraid to run directly at the defense, something I appreciate in a player. She is also a good team player. I think A&M may start her on the backline.
> Top Drawer Soccer National: #112
> Top Drawer Soccer South Region: #2
> ECNL/id2 National Camp (2017)
> ODP State Team
> ECNL Profile
> Articles:

GK Shantel Hutton, 5'11", Atlanta, GA (Concorde Fire) ** - A solid GK prospect out of Georgia, Hutton has some good experience at the national tournament level with Atlanta Fire United and now Concorde Fire.
> ECNL/id2 National Camp (2014)
> Articles: Top Drawer Soccer Profile

GK Kenna Caldwell, 5'8", Highlands Ranch, CO (Colorado Rush) ** - Not much is known about Kenna except she seems to be a solid GK from Colorado, but if there is anything that we know about Coach G is that he knows the GK position and has uncovered some hidden gems in the past.
> US National Team Camps (2011-2013)
> Articles: Sports Recruits Highlights

CLASS OF 2020

M Barbara Olivieri, 5'5", Katy, TX (Albion Hurricanes FC) **** - Barbara is a good all-around midfielder/forward who can dribble and possess in tight spaces and who also has a knack for finding teammates in traffic. Her development will be key to anchoring this class along with Carroll. Her high school team played for the state title and she led the team in scoring as a freshman. Recently named Gatorade Texas Player of the Year.
> Top Drawer Soccer National: #51
> Top Drawer Soccer Texas Region: #7
> 2019 Gatorade Texas Player of the Year
> U-16 National Team Camp (2017)
> id2 National Camp (2015)
> AllState All America Cup (2019)
> ECNL Profile
> Highlights: Hudl
> Articles: Houston Chronicle | Top Drawer Soccer | VYPE | MySA

F Laney Carroll, 5'5", Redlands, CA (Legends FC) **** - Laney is a terrific and very productive striker for Legends FC, a club from which I don't believe A&M has ever signed a prospect. It's good to see Coach G get back into Southern California for a top prospect again. She has very good top end speed and is known for her ability to play from sideline-to-sideline. She can also play in the midfield if needed. Laney has good experience with the US National Teams and is used to playing against top competition.
> Top Drawer Soccer National: #76
> Top Drawer Soccer SoCal Region: #9
> U-17 National Team Camp (2017)
> id2 National Camp (2015)
> ODP Thanksgiving All-Star Team (2015)

F Lauren Geczik, 5'7", Houston, TX (Albion Hurricanes FC) **** - A teammate of Olivieri on Albion SC, Lauren is the leading striker on the squad. Was recently selected to participate in the US Soccer Training Combine in College Station. She has skyrocketed up the recruiting charts this past Summer and she is now a 4-star prospect. She continues to improve her game every year and could emerge as an elite prospect.
> Top Drawer Soccer National: #96
> Top Drawer Soccer Texas Region: #15
> ECNL PDP Texas (2018)

F Anderson Williams, 5'8", Calgary, AB (Vancouver White Caps) *** - Anderson might be the first prospect from Canada to play at A&M. A long-striding forward, she made an impact on the Canada U-17 National Team scoring some key goals in the 2018 U-17 World Cup.
> Canada U-17 National Team
> Highlights: U-17 Concacaf | Hudl
> Articles: CBC | CBC 2 | U-17 World Cup

M Westyn Henderson, 5'7", McAllen, TX (Classics Elite) *** - A defensive-minded midfielder who is also a good striker with exceptional on ball skills, Westyn is an intriguing prospect. Not well known in national circles, she is making a big name for herself in the South Texas area, leading her high school team deep into the 6A state playoffs last season. She plays in the mold of Emily Bates and she has a signature spin move than leaves defenders on the ground. She could play any position on the field so it will be interesting to see where begins her career at A&M.
> TDS 2018 All-Region (South Texas)
> Highlights: You Tube Highlights | Hudl
> Articles: The Monitor | Top Drawer Soccer

M Taylor Pounds, 5'9", Spring, TX (Challenge SC) ** - Taylor has only recently begun to emerge in recruiting circles after a standout effort at a recent ECNL event. She is a much bigger athlete than her older sister Haley and a physical ball-winner in the middle of the field. It will be interesting to watch her development.
> ECNL PDP Texas (2018)
> ECNL Texas National Event Best XI (2018)
> Articles: Top Drawer Soccer Profile | Top Drawer Soccer

M Kate Colvin, 5'6", Magnolia, TX (Houston Dash) ** - Kate has an interesting background, playing on the Houston Dash practice squad as a defender, going up against some of the best players in the world. That has helped hone her skills and got the attention of A&M as she is one of the better players on her Dash club team. She switched her commitment from New Mexico to A&M recently.
> ODP Regional Team (2017)
> Articles: Houston Chronicle
> Profile: Top Drawer Soccer

CLASS OF 2021

F Makhiya McDonald, 5'5", Lancaster, TX (Solar SC) ***** - A very talented goal scorer, McDonald is an athletic forward who punishes defenses when they make a mistake. With good speed and skill on the ball, she is quick to shoot on goal with accuracy. She is also currently a member of the U-15 National Team. Recently promoted to 5-star status.
> Top Drawer Soccer National: #22
> Top Drawer Soccer Texas Region: #5
> U-15 National Team Camp (2018)
> ECNL id2 National Camp (2018)
> Profile: Top Drawer Soccer Profile

F Maile Hayes, 5'5", Spring, TX (Challenge SC) *** - Very underrated nationally to this point, Maile is a dangerous striker but can play in the midfield as well. Could form a potent offensive duo with McDonald in this class. She was named ECNL Texas Player of the Year for 2018 in her age group and was named to the Best XI team at the 2018 id2 National Camp.
> ECNL U-15 Texas Player of the Year (2018)
> ECNL id2 National Camp - Best XI (2018)
> Articles: Houston Chronicle | Top Drawer Soccer

D Macy Matula, 5'6", Houston, TX (Albion Hurricanes FC) ** - Macy plays on the back line for Albion Hurricanes FC and continues to develop. Her younger sister Margo also is committed to A&M for the 2023 class.

M Carissa Boeckmann, 5'4", San Antonio, TX (Classics Elite) ** - Carissa is a skilled midfielder who has begun to emerge on her Classic Elite squad this year after appearing at the id2 national camp.
> ECNL/id2 National Camp (2018)

F Natalie Abel, 5'7", Rancho Mission Viejo, CA (So Cal Blues) ** - Natalie is a forward from California who has some experience in the US Developmental Academy. Looking forward to learning more about her skillset in the near future.
> ODP Regional Team (2018)

CLASS OF 2022

F Georgia Leb, 5'8", Colleyville, TX (Solar SC) ***** - Georgia has been identified early in the 2022 cycle as one of the nation's best forwards. A 5-star prospect, she has a great feel for the game and excellent on-ball skills Fast and athletic, but also savvy which is a very important attribute to learn at an young age. She has a strong leg and can make accurate crosses into the box when needed. Currently a member of the U-14 National Team, Leb has the potential to be an elite player and could be the highest rated prospect signed by A&M since Harvey and Pounds in 2014.
> Top Drawer Soccer National: #24
> Top Drawer Soccer Texas Region: #1
> U-14 National Team Camp (2018)

D Abby-Lee Sanogo, 5'11", Plano, TX (Solar SC) **** - A tall physical center back, Abby-Lee is a presence on the backline and very difficult to get past for opposing attackers. She routinely redirects and stops advances into the box or simply takes the ball away or blocks shot attempts. She is still learning the game and has the potential to be another Karlina Sample type for A&M.
> Top Drawer Soccer National: #83
> Top Drawer Soccer Texas Region: #9
> U-14 National Team Camp (2018)
> 2019 Soccer Youth All-American Series
> YouTube Interview (2019)

D Carolyn Calzada, 5'8", Buford, GA (NASA Tophat) **** - Carolyn might be familiar to some as she is the younger sister of Zach Calzada who plays QB for A&M, but she is making a name for herself as a current member of the US U-17 National Team as a staple on the back line. Carolyn is a tall defender who makes good decisions in the back and her athleticism keeps her in front of attacking players. I expect her to rise in the recruiting rankings soon.
> Top Drawer Soccer South Atlantic Region: #13
> U-17 National Team (2019)
> Articles: Gwinett Sports

F Caroline Kniffen, 5'7", Lewisville, TX (FC Dallas) *** - Caroline is a skilled, quick forward with a wonderful first touch and elite level crossing ability from the right flank. I believe vastly underrated at this early point in the cycle, she could also be an effective outside mid at A&M.
> Top Drawer Soccer Texas Region: #22

CLASS OF 2023

D Margo Matula, 5'6", Houston, TX (Albion Hurricanes FC) **** - The younger sister of Macy (2021 class), Margo is an anchor on the back line, routinely turning back opposing strikers and frustrating opponents. Although early in evaluation, she is one of the better defenders in the nation and can still develop her skill set further.
> Top Drawer Soccer National: #39
> Top Drawer Soccer Texas Region: #3
> ECNL/id2 National Camp (2018)

**NOTE: For information on previous recruiting classes, please click HERE
Agssoc2008
That is great news! Like the Colorado girls, the California players are excellent ball handlers. We need to get more girls from SoCal as well as Colorado if we can. Would be nice to tap into NoCal as well. With the problems Texas is having, hopefully we can start getting more out of Texas.
S.S.Aggie
Always good news. Thanks for the update.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
Bachelor99
AG
Good stuff!! Thanks!
MtnAg08
AG
Sweet! I look forward to seeing her play next year!
aggie_74
AG
Thanks.
Agsocfan
The Slammers and Blues are two of the top clubs in So.California. Year after year they turn out some of the most talented players in the country. It is good to know we are aggressively in pursuit of their players.
HiddenAg2
See new update above.
Expert Analysis
AG
TDS has ranked the top 100 in the 2011 class. Monogue is at #22.
11 TX girls, 6 of which play for the Dallas Texans including Monogue.
HiddenAg2
See new update above.
redd38
AG
great, i was wondering when he'd do something about our future goalie situation
CDub06
AG
I was wondering the same thing. But I know G would not leave us in a bad GK situation.
HiddenAg2
Updated 12/8/09
anonymous2
Can he hang onto the McKinney girls after the situation with Castlebery ?
Pushtotalk
I hear that some of the players that played with KC on the Texans and other club teams were recruited by A&M and the girls didn't come here because of Kim coming here. So, who knows. It can work both ways. Just because girls were team mates or even played for the same club doesn't mean they will automatically commit to the same college.
HiddenAg2
See new update above - 2/5/10. Absolutely huge pickup for Coach G.
redd38
AG
You think we'll pick up another GK for 2011? Or just hope Jordan Day is one durable freshman?
jt2hunt
AG
sweet

S.S.Aggie
I like what I hear.
S.S.Aggie
Did Groom consider Mizzou? If so, I'm glad we snagged her away from them.
Bachelor99
AG
excellent
HiddenAg2
Yes, I believe we beat out Missouri and Notre Dame for her.

I don't believe we are recruiting another GK for '11 because we are all over '12 GK Abby Smith, who is the #1 GK in the nation in that class, and we have the inside track to land her right now. She would be the best GK to ever play at A&M if we get her and that is really saying something; she's that good.
S.S.Aggie
Hidden,
Have you ever considered starting your own recruiting website?
CDub06
AG
I love hearing that
HiddenAg2
No, not really. It would take too much time and there's just too many players out there to watch in order to rate the prospects. I think TopDrawerSoccer does a decent job anyway. I do like to watch various tournaments in this area to see A&M targets and commitments to know what's coming to A&M in the future. And I do follow the various results in ODP and club tournaments for a good idea who the top recruits are each year.

I do know that Coach G and Phil are very selective in whom they recruit and sometimes will offer girls that are not necessarily highly recruited to fit their style of play. Right now, as Coach G has said from time to time, we're still fighting an uphill battle for some of the top recruits nationally when going up against UNC's tradition, Notre Dame's prestige and academic excellence, Stanford's incredible weather and academics, UCLA's L.A. factor, and Duke's name recognition and academics in the research triangle. I think once we finally break through and make a College Cup or win a national title, we'll be able to consistently bring in Top 5 classes like those schools.
AEK
AG
What exactly was the situation with Castleberry?
HiddenAg2
See new update above - 2/23/10.
CDub06
AG
Wow. We are putting together our best class ever
HiddenAg2
Right now I would say it's very close with the '04 group, but if Coach G adds even 1 more above average recruit, then I'd say this is his best class at A&M. Either way, it has been very impressive and a relief to know we'll be able to stay among the elite programs for years to come.
HiddenAg2
See new update above - 3/8/10.
redd38
CDub06
AG
This is one more above average recruit, no?
HiddenAg2
Yes, it is. Kunz is misclassified as a 2012 recruit at Top Drawer Soccer, therefore she is not on their current Top 100 for 2011. She is definitely at Top 100 level prospect.

As I stated above, this is now Coach G's best class ever, and he still may add another elite prospect before it's over.
S.S.Aggie
These kids sound great. Oh the possibilities...

Glad to see us continuing to tap into the out-of-state markets. Especially CA.

However, anything less than a College Cup is still a disappointment. We have too many outstanding players. We've gotta break through at some point.

Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.