2017 GMC Sierra Denali

3,627 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Silvy
Kbirkhead
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Still a rookie at TexAgs but trying again - I'll try to be to the point..
We have a 2017 GMC Denali pickup - this truck is in great physical shape but it needs a new engine. It is currently at the mechanic where he took it in as soon as the check engine light came on - when they went to diagnose it they realized the engine is shot (bent rods and more) and the only fix is a new engine. He has taken great care of this truck - regular oil changes, it's clean and the interior has no rips/tears or stains. This would be a great project truck for someone who knows how to replace an engine. Anyone interested - considering selling it since he has the option of a company truck that we didn't chose beforehand since he loves this truck so much
2017 GMC Sierra Denali
White
108k miles
Black leather interior
Tri-fold hard bed cover
One owner, no smoking
No body damage, light touched up paint on the hood
harge57
AG
4wd?
Kbirkhead
2wd
Silvy
AG
Price? Obviously new motor required, but does it run and make hellacious noise or is it locked up?
Kbirkhead
It doesn't run, currently at the mechanics awaiting a decision from us, it would need towed. Would take $15,000 for it.
aggiepaintrain
AG
I have some questions aggiepaintrain@gmail.com
MS08
AG
Cannot make sense of a 5-6 yr old (luxury) truck needing a new engine after 108k miles. Any ideas of reasons? What happened? Or just really really bad luck.
tweekac
AG
Active Fuel Management lifter failure is also a known problem in the 5.3 GM/Chevy engines with AFM. I had a 2012 Silverado with the same issue at 6yrs/~115k miles. Only options to salvage the truck were a whole upper rebuild or new motor.
drummer0415
AG
I'm not positive about the exact series of events that led to the bent rods, but I am 100% confident that this problem started with an AFM lifter failing.
JB
AG
Where is it located?
highvelocity
AG
what does a new motor cost for a vehicle like this? asking out of curiosity.
Silvy
AG
https://www.ebay.com/itm/374226815886

A junkyard pullout would be in $4k range. You should then spend another $1,000-$1,600 to delete AFM hardware.
agsalaska
AG
Whats the price?
tweekac
AG
In my case the dealer quoted me $4500 for the rebuild or ~$6500 for a crate motor, albeit this was in 2019.
Kbirkhead
Thanks for all the replies and interest. We sold it. Leaving the post up in case others are researching what happened to their engine. Like other posts said, this is a problem in these motors which is very frustrating.
BrazosBQ
AG
I had the same thing happen to my 2015 Sierra, got "lucky" it was only at 85k miles and still under powertrain warranty.
mm98
AG
I have the 5.3 and bought the Range DFM disabler. Is that known to be a good solution?
BrazosBQ
AG
Did the same, I'm at 145k now and haven't had any issues with it
big ben
AG
2015 5.3L here with 141k miles, put in Range disabler at 25k miles, better mpg, better throttle response of course and it stopped burning excessive oil.

mm98
AG
Ok cool. I put mine on around 55-60K. Fingers crossed I can get 200K without this issue.
Daddy
AG
Price
Pics
Repair cost?
AgGrad99
AG
mm98 said:

I have the 5.3 and bought the Range DFM disabler. Is that known to be a good solution?

Been considering this.

They really work?...plug n play?

I would buy one simply for the auto/stop feature to go away.

Worried it'll void my warranty, but they advertise they don't.
ag_pete09
AG
About to hit 100k on my 2016 Sierra 5.3.

Probably going to tear up the transmission too as it hard shifts in and out of first.

Supposed to be covered by the "forever warranty" on powertrain that came with it from DeMontrond. Kept up with maintenance so far.
Bronco6G
NM
mm98
AG
So far so good. Mileage dropped a bit as expected. 8sp actually shifters better with far less jerks.

No complaints so far.
Silvy
AG
If you have transmission rebuilt or replaced with OE, get a torque converter from Circle D Specialties and ensure your trans cooler / trans cooler lines are cleaned before being connected to new unit.
mm98
AG
I'm curious. What does a 8L90 or 10L90 rebuild cost these days?

I had a Circle D disciple rebuild my 4L60e about ten years ago and it was $2400 then with the standard torque converter with an aftermarket Hayden cooler
Silvy
AG
I have no idea. My recommendation would be to replace with OEM unit if planning to keep the truck. Again with a Circle D converter.

The 4L60e converters aren't problematic like the 6L80e converters have proven to be. I haven't seen many examples or at least causes of 8 speed / 10 speed failures, but suspect the culprit would again be the converters.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.