Blue Lacy rehome

1,766 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by End Of Message
saltaggie06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is a very hard post for me to submit but I have to make an attempt to rehome my 1.5 year old blue lacy, Walker.

Walker has aggression issues, particularly in the evening and when we try to get him into his Kennel for the night. I have two young girls and I just can't have him around if there is any chance of them getting bit. Everything I've researched and spoken to the vet about points to him having anxiety and resource guarding.

98% of the time he is an amazing dog! Which makes this even harder. He's very intelligent, knows basic commands and is full of energy. He would be a GREAT working dog for someone with property.

I really hope that someone is able to take him in that has the knowledge, property size and time to work with him. My whole family is torn up over having to do this but I just can't put my children at risk.

I'm willing to drive a good distance within Texas to take him to a good home at no charge. Walker has been fixed, chipped, and has vaccines.

Please, if anyone can help it would be more than appreciated.

Of you serious please send me a text to 713-857-7869. My name is Kevin.

Thanks
saltaggie06
I have plenty of pictures I can send you via text if you are interested.

Also, If you are unfamiliar with Blue Lacys, Walker is freakishly athletic. He's very muscular and the fastest dog I've ever seen.

Thanks again
fire09
AG
How big (weight) and how does he act around other dogs?
saltaggie06
He was 60 pounds last vet visit.

We have a small dog, around 15 pounds and Walker has never bitten her.
He will get territorial from time to time and snarl and act like he's going after her but never has.
fire09
AG
I'm sorry you have to make such a tough decision, and you have to put kids first. If you have any desire to try to rehabilitate, there is a particularly good trainer that we worked with for very similar issues with our dog. Based on your number I assume you are in Houston area. If you want I can get her contact info over to you.
SquirrellyDan
AG
If you havent already, post this to the outdoors forum. They'll likely have some good advice or have someone interested.
saltaggie06
I'll give that a try. Thanks
Sticks&Stones
AG
saltaggie06 said:

Also, If you are unfamiliar with Blue Lacys, Walker is freakishly athletic. He's very muscular and the fastest dog I've ever seen.

The Blue Lacy is also the State Dog of Texas

Good luck with the rehome
TX_COWDOC
AG
PM me the details on the dog. I have a client that uses them at their ranch. Great working dogs.

One of my favorite pics. I took this after preg checking some cows in 2010.
www.southpawprecision.com
Type 07 FFL / Class 2 SOT
Nightforce Optics Dealer
O.G.
Blue Lacy's are not family dogs. They are working dogs and they are extremely high energy.

People want them because they are the state dog and all of that, but they are not meant to be a lap dog. It's not going to happen. I've had probably 6 or so of them in my lifetime. My last one died last fall and he never, not ever had any chill in him at all. I've talked more people out of having them than I've talked into it.

See if you can find someone rural that has a ranch. They are also great for hog hunting and blood trail dogs.

I'm sorry that you have to go through this, but Lacy's are not great house pets.
MosesHallDeadPot94
O.G. said:

Blue Lacy's are not family dogs. They are working dogs and they are extremely high energy.

People want them because they are the state dog and all of that, but they are not meant to be a lap dog. It's not going to happen. I've had probably 6 or so of them in my lifetime. My last one died last fall and he never, not ever had any chill in him at all. I've talked more people out of having them than I've talked into it.

See if you can find someone rural that has a ranch. They are also great for hog hunting and blood trail dogs.

I'm sorry that you have to go through this, but Lacy's are not great house pets.

I can attest to this comment: Back in 2005 my wife and I were living in Jacksonville, Florida, and she wanted a dog that looked like the one she had while living in Texas so we decide on a blue lacy. She flew to the Texas Hill country to pick up a puppy and while at first was pleasant the dog became quite aggressive. Blue Laceys are hard-working dogs and need space - they are not Inside dogs. Very beautiful but quite aggressive...
End Of Message
AG
Good luck, OP. We kept a Blue Lacy (Lacy) at our ranch full time, with or without us there. A ranch hand would keep her fed and watered, but she was a working dog that also protected the property.

I agree that they are definitely not family dogs, and Lacy was no different (and we didn't buy her to be a family pet).

With that said, she was one of the best dogs I've ever owned. Beat the ever living **** out of hogs, snakes, and all other sorts of varmints....nothing could stop her (but cancer). She was shy around strangers and didn't like coming in the house, but preferred the barn or porch.

Amazing dogs given the right circumstances.

I'll reach out to some neighbors to see if they are interested.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.