WTB Travel Trailer/RV - bumper pull

5,639 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TxAG-010
sdc177
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Want to see if any good Ags are wanting to sell. Ideally this is what we think we want:

-$6-18k
-at least 28ft
-queen and bunk beds
-will consider traditional travel trailer or toy hauler

This will be our first RV; feel free to provide input!
Drip99
AG
Focus on the max payload (sticker in drivers side door jam) of your tow vehicle and not so much the rated tow weight as you will almost always exceed that before you max out your trailer tow weight.
sdc177
AG
JesusQuintana said:

Focus on the max payload (sticker in drivers side door jam) of your tow vehicle and not so much the rated tow weight as you will almost always exceed that before you max out your trailer tow weight.
This???

Drip99
AG
sdc177 said:

JesusQuintana said:

This???

Yes, the weight of everything including the trailer on the hitch (10-15% of loaded trailer weight with a weight distributing hitch), passengers and anything you put in truck bed cannot exceed 1563 lbs by law. Many skirt this rule as you can see on the highway but according to the manufacturer, it is unsafe once you pass that limit.
sdc177
AG
JesusQuintana said:

sdc177 said:

JesusQuintana said:

This???

Yes, the weight of everything including the trailer on the hitch (10-15% of loaded trailer weight with a weight distributing hitch), passengers and anything you put in truck bed cannot exceed 1563 lbs by law. Many skirt this rule as you can see on the highway but according to the manufacturer, it is unsafe once you pass that limit.
That doesn't seem like much!!! How does that compare to other 1/2 tons? What would I be looking at if it were a 3/4 ton?
Drip99
AG
sdc177 said:

JesusQuintana said:

sdc177 said:

JesusQuintana said:

This???

That doesn't seem like much!!! How does that compare to other 1/2 tons? What would I be looking at if it were a 3/4 ton?

It's a lot compared to my 2018 tundra crew max which is 1200 lbs.

I had a 2015 2wd f150 that was 1740 lbs and towed a 30 foot travel trailer with it. It got the job done but you can tell it's a half ton truck. If you really want to get into a larger trailer, your towing experience will be much better in a 3/4 ton especially if you are looking to make long trips.
sdc177
AG
JesusQuintana said:

sdc177 said:

JesusQuintana said:

sdc177 said:

JesusQuintana said:

This???

It's a lot compared to my 2018 tundra crew max which is 1200 lbs.

I had a 2015 2wd f150 that was 1740 lbs and towed a 30 foot travel trailer with it. It got the job done but you can tell it's a half ton truck. If you really want to get into a larger trailer, your towing experience will be much better in a 3/4 ton especially if you are looking to make long trips.

So with my current truck what do you think I should limit myself to as far as length/weight/etc?
htxag09
AG
I have a 33' 2007 Flagstaff super Lite I'd let go for a few thousand. I'd need to check the condition of it for an exact price. Was used at the deer lease but has been in storage for a few years.

AggieMPH2005
Htx I may be interested if he isn't depending on condition. Username@gmail.com
sdc177
AG
htxag09 said:

I have a 33' 2007 Flagstaff super Lite I'd let go for a few thousand. I'd need to check the condition of it for an exact price. Was used at the deer lease but has been in storage for a few years.

Interested! Send me an email at my handle at gmail dot com please.
Bob_Ag
AG
JesusQuintana offered some good advice. It does not take much to max out payload with a half ton, I know from experience towing campers.

I'm just going to tell you, with the gearing and payload on your truck, I wouldn't consider anything that weighs over 7k lbs and ideally 6k or less. It will be a miserable towing experience otherwise. Keep in mind its not just weight, but drag and resistance. You're essentially towing a huge brick.

Make you sure you check the GVWR of the trailer and ignore the dry weight. With half tons, its better to load up the camper as opposed to the bed of the truck to save payload.
sdc177
AG
Bob_Ag said:

JesusQuintana offered some good advice. It does not take much to max out payload with a half ton, I know from experience towing campers.

I'm just going to tell you, with the gearing and payload on your truck, I wouldn't consider anything that weighs over 7k lbs and ideally 6k or less. It will be a miserable towing experience otherwise. Keep in mind its not just weight, but drag and resistance. You're essentially towing a huge brick.

Make you sure you check the GVWR of the trailer and ignore the dry weight. With half tons, its better to load up the camper as opposed to the bed of the truck to save payload.

Thanks, looks like I am focusing on the ultra lite/super lite models. Hope to take a look at the one above soon!
htxag09
AG
Not sure why, but I wasn't receiving notifications for this thread. I should get to it and check out the condition and take some pictures this weekend and respond to this thread and the PM's.
AnchorFoundation
I have this one we're ready to sale. Just completing home remodel and it's been good to me and family of 5 during the process.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-rvs-for-sale/travel-trailer/2015-k-z-sportsmen_rv-39520
HvilleAggie
AG
AnchorFoundation said:

I have this one we're ready to sale. Just completing home remodel and it's been good to me and family of 5 during the process.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-rvs-for-sale/travel-trailer/2015-k-z-sportsmen_rv-39520

Link says it's sold?
Aggie Pharmer
AG
Honestly, if your upper price range is $16K, I would go take a look at a brand new Jayco Jayflight SLX 264BHW. That's the travel trailer we bought almost 4 years ago and have loved it. Jayco also has a 2-year warranty.
We are trading ours in Friday for a fifth-wheel (another Jayco). Now that the kids are getting older, we want a trailer with a slide out to give us more room.
sdc177
AG
AnchorFoundation said:

Thanks, but I think that is too much for my truck.
sdc177
AG
Aggie Pharmer said:

Honestly, if your upper price range is $16K, I would go take a look at a brand new Jayco Jayflight SLX 264BHW. That's the travel trailer we bought almost 4 years ago and have loved it. Jayco also has a 2-year warranty.
We are trading ours in Friday for a fifth-wheel (another Jayco). Now that the kids are getting older, we want a trailer with a slide out to give us more room.

Thanks, the slide out(s) are a must have on our end. New would be nice though although I have a good friend that said never buy new because you'll be at the dealer a lot the first year getting little things fixed.
AnchorFoundation
That's the link from when we purchased. I'll be selling soon.
PuryearFratDaddy
AG
Anchor, when ready and have more details, please let me know, fstanush Gmail
sdc177
AG
AnchorFoundation said:

Hey Anchor please email me at my handle at gmail.com.
sdc177
AG
I am still looking to buy!

I updated criteria too in original post.
AnchorFoundation
sdc177: email sent
fatherof4
Good morning. If you are still interested in selling this trailer, I would very much like to speak to you. Thanks
fatherof4
tiraney yahoo mail
Elroy75
AG
I have a 2009 Puma, 2 slideouts, 3 single bunks, queen, number pull. Model 31BHSS. Follow, link to see layout. Asking $12k.

https://library.rvusa.com/brochure/09_Puma_THTTFWPM.pdf

sdc177
AG
Elroy75 said:

I have a 2009 Puma, 2 slideouts, 3 single bunks, queen, number pull. Model 31BHSS. Follow, link to see layout. Asking $12k.

Sent PM
Yesterday
AG
You can buy new but make sure you get bottom dollar and right now they're not giving bottom dollar. The type of camper you're asking for is very hot right now and most of the manufacturer's stopped making them for three months.

I sold mine two months ago for more than I paid within 7 hours. Crazy.

Someone told me when I started this process that I would buy a trailer, then buy a bigger truck for better towing and then buy a bigger trailer. And damned if that's not exactly what happened.

Currently on a 2 week trip to California right now with my family of 5. Pic below is Palo Duro Canyon.
sdc177
AG
Yesterday said:

You can buy new but make sure you get bottom dollar and right now they're not giving bottom dollar. The type of camper you're asking for is very hot right now and most of the manufacturer's stopped making them for three months.

Someone told me when I started this process that I would buy a trailer, then buy a bigger truck for better towing and then buy a bigger trailer. And damned if that's not exactly what happened.

Currently on a 2 week trip to California right now with my family of 5. Pic below is Palo Duro Canyon.
Haha, we just bought a Dodge 2500 Power Wagon yesterday and will be selling the 1/2 ton Z71 so I guess I am not doing things in the correct order. I suppose I should update the original post.

The other tough thing - the longer the search goes the more picky/specific the wife becomes, lol.
Yesterday
AG
sdc177 said:

Yesterday said:

Haha, we just bought a Dodge 2500 Power Wagon yesterday and will be selling the 1/2 ton Z71 so I guess I am not doing things in the correct order. I suppose I should update the original post.

The other tough thing - the longer the search goes the more picky/specific the wife becomes, lol.

Gotta go 5th wheel now! Better deals on 5th wheels than bumper pulls. Mainly because everyone with a half ton is out buying bumper pulls.
sdc177
AG
Yesterday said:

sdc177 said:

Yesterday said:

Gotta go 5th wheel now! Better deals on 5th wheels than bumper pulls. Mainly because everyone with a half ton is out buying bumper pulls.
Truck is lifted with 35s - probably too high for a 5th wheel. But I assume same applies to the heavier bumper pulls.
5C
AG
Do not buy new right now. Demand is very high for trailers and boats and you won't get a deal
sdc177
AG
The Gross Prophet said:

Do not buy new right now. Demand is very high for trailers and boats and you won't get a deal

FIFY - This is actually closer to reality.
Yesterday
AG
sdc177 said:

Yesterday said:

sdc177 said:

Yesterday said:

Truck is lifted with 35s - probably too high for a 5th wheel. But I assume same applies to the heavier bumper pulls.

Yea that's tough for a 5th wheel. Bumper pulls can be adjusted with a weigh distribution hitch.
TresPuertas
AG
Elroy75 said:

Elroy, did you ever end up selling this? If not let me know id be very interested

Edit: anchor and HTx, let me know as well. Sounds like y'all may have what I'm looking for as well
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.