Riding mower salvage parts?

1,980 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Sims
Sims
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wanting to sell a John Deere x320 tiding mower. Mechanically it's in great shape but I busted the hood. I want to replace it before I sell but the new OEM hood is selling for almost 800 bucks. I would rather replace it with parts from a mower that stopped running.

I'm in Fort Worth but make it around to Houston often.

Any ideas?
Hold on honey, there are people on the internet that are wrong.
wunderbrad01
AG
Hard to find used hoods for John Deere mowers. Very hard. Reason being is that most everybody breaks their hoods. You'll spend a lot of time searching. You're better off giving up now and gluing and screwing it to look as good as you can and sell it as is. Good luck and Godspeed.
Chase
AG
Sims said:

Wanting to sell a John Deere x320 tiding mower. Mechanically it's in great shape but I busted the hood. I want to replace it before I sell but the new OEM hood is selling for almost 800 bucks. I would rather replace it with parts from a mower that stopped running.

I'm in Fort Worth but make it around to Houston often.

Any ideas?
There's one on eBay right now for $424

eBay Hood

Honestly surprised there weren't a ton of aftermarket ones given that wunderbrad01 said they break on everyone. Something like that that is overpriced from the dealer usually has fiberglass blanks available all over the place like Japanese motorcycle fairings.
John Cocktolstoy
What are you selling it for as is?
Sims
AG
$2000

I've done all the normal maintenance myself. It's been repaired twice under warranty by JD in Waco. Once was for a busted seal in one of the drive wheels. The other was a broken push rod. Their diagnostic was that the push rod just had an inherent material failure - they couldn't find anything wrong with the mower otherwise. That was several years ago and no problems since. We purchased a diesel zero-turn so I won't be getting much use out of the JD mower.
John Cocktolstoy
Maybe try some clear Flex Tape...from flex seal.
AgCWby90CS
AG
John Cocktolstoy said:

Maybe try some clear Flex Tape...from flex seal.
Or even a fiberglass repair kit sold at most auto part stores.
CWby '90
TXAG9
AG
Hours? Deck size? Pics?
Sims
AG
I'd say 300 hours would be leaning toward the high end of what I estimate (the hour meter hasn't worked since it went back to JD the first time).

I'll get some pics up later today hopefully. 48" deck (3 blade).

It's got the safety feature where you have to pull up on the blade lever to mow in reverse. I figured I would get that out there now as people are pretty passionate about that feature one way or another.
Sims
AG

TXAG9
AG
I can't PM but send me an email and we can talk about it. Email received.
Sims
AG
wunderbrad01 said:

Hard to find used hoods for John Deere mowers. Very hard. Reason being is that most everybody breaks their hoods. You'll spend a lot of time searching. You're better off giving up now and gluing and screwing it to look as good as you can and sell it as is. Good luck and Godspeed.
Turns out this 100% correct. Every bit of it.

I did my best to get it back together, I feel like I did a pretty decent job given where it was before...

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.