Kamado Joe 18" Classic (Ceramic Grill/Smoker)

3,642 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Timber08
Timber08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sold it, was a Kamado Joe, Large
aTm2004
AG
I have one of these and love it. That is an awesome price for a great grill. I have used their warranty when my fire box cracked during our move, and they sent an upgraded replacement with no questions asked.
reddog90
AG
This will move quick. OP why did you change out the thermometer?
Timber08
Sold it
ChemAg15
AG
A few questions:

What all have you smoked on this guy? How much at one time?
Does a rack of baby backs fit across 18" or do you have to cut the rack in half?
Do you use a rib rack?
How many burgers/steaks can you cook at one time?
Timber08
ChemAg15 said:

A few questions:

What all have you smoked on this guy? How much at one time?
Does a rack of baby backs fit across 18" or do you have to cut the rack in half?
Do you use a rib rack?
How many burgers/steaks can you cook at one time?

The usual stuff - pork butts, brisket, reverse seared steaks, and ribs. We also grill chicken and burgers.

Largest amount of meat at one time was two of the large pork butts from Costco and it was plenty of room but in my opinion that was maxed out because I like a healthy amount of air flow between the meat. A single big brisket fills it for the same reason, you'd have to smush/stack a second one in.

I do use a rib rack as this is the only way to get more than a couple racks in. Usually I can fit two racks across the grill at the center/widest spot if I bend them a bit(I bet they touch the dome at the corners) and have to cut the other two to fit the grill. I've never done more than four but I'd guess you can fit 6+ after halving them?

I regularly do six butterflied chicken breasts, four large ribeyes, or 8 burgers without the extender with room to spare. With the grill extender, you can do about 30-40% more but have to keep track of rotating the meat. I think I do like 40 wings at once with the extender? Maybe 10-15 chicken thighs? It is plenty big for just about any family but I wouldn't want to grill for a big party using this size grill.
aTm2004
AG
I'll give my .02 on mine as well so you have someone else's perspective:

What all have you smoked on this guy? How much at one time? I've smoked ribs, pork butts, briskets, chickens, 22# T-day turkey, stuffed pork loin, etc.
Does a rack of baby backs fit across 18" or do you have to cut the rack in half? You can get 2 racks of baby backs on the grill, but anymore is pushing it as the largest surface area across is in the middle.
Do you use a rib rack? Using a rib rack, I've gotten 4 on there pretty easily with the ends curved down.
How many burgers/steaks can you cook at one time? It all depends on the size of each. I'd say 5 or so steaks and 8-10 burgers at a time.

As the OP stated, this size is great for grilling for a family or a small group, but if you're wanting to be able to smoke a brisket, some ribs, chicken, etc at the same time, you'll need the Big Joe or a large offset (which I have). I will say this about smoking a turkey on this thing...like many, I'm a huge critic of what I cook, but I've had to acknowledge that I've done well on the past few turkeys I've done for Thanksgiving. Slight smoke ring, just enough smoke taste, moist breast.
Jt1220
Is this still available?
Timber08
Sold it
Timber08
Sold it
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.