Butcher Block Style Kitchen Island/Prep Tables

5,805 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by drummer0415
drummer0415
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Description: I built these two tables to be used as kitchen island prep tables, but they could be used for many other purposes such as a sewing or craft table. They are made completely from reclaimed/recycled materials. They have beautiful "butcher block style" tops, however I don't recommend cutting directly on them because they are actually made out of pine which is a soft wood. They are both 24" x 41" x 35" tall, but the top on one is 7" thick and the other is 5.5" thick. They have a nice shelf area for storage underneath and heavy duty swivel casters on all four legs. Again, I don't recommend cuting directly on them, but the tops have been treated with a food safe butcher block conditioner and they are safe for food prep.

Pics:

Price: Asking $350 each. First buyer can pick which one they want.

Location: Tables are located in Katy, TX and I prefer for you to come pick it up from me, or we can meet locally. They are somewhat large and VERY HEAVY, so please plan accordingly.

Contact: reply here, or feel free to email me at ekuhrt at gmail dot com.
drummer0415
AG
Bump. Both tables still available.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Those look awesome. Wish I had a need, seems like a good deal.
Burnsey
AG
Damn wish I had a place for these. They look great. I also think they are very fairly priced. Good luck!
drummer0415
AG
Somebody buy these so I can build more cool things.
Vernada
AG
try x posting on Food & Spirits? Maybe even Outdoor?

They look great.
aggiecody06
Drummer I've recently started taking an interest in woodworking and looking to start building small stuff at the house do you have a place you get ideas and schematics from or just been doing woodworking for a while and have your own ideas and creations. I like looks of this by way!
ForeverAg
AG
Free bump to OP, but Cody check out Anawhite.com
drummer0415
AG
Thanks Cody! I've been doing this a while so I don't really follow plans or schematics. I usually just see a picture of something and think "I can build that". In the case of these tables above, I had all the materials in my shop and thought, I need to make something with this, and well here we are.
Goodest Poster
AG
Free bump.
We have one similar. Its got slide out drawers made of metal on sides and wine rack in the middle. Food for thought on the next ones. Yours look very nice.
drummer0415
AG
Thanks for all the kind words guys!

Both tables still available.
drummer0415
AG
Bump, still have both tables. Never thought I would still have these this long. Feel free to make a reasonable offer. I'm willing to negotiate more with good Ags than strangers.

Side note: I have them listed for sale here, Craigslist, and Facebook Marketplace. Any other ideas? I really don't want to create a Pinterest page just to list the handful of items a year like this that I build.
wadd96
AG
I like them, they just won't fit in my kitchen
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
drummer0415
AG
Time for a bigger house!
drummer0415
AG
Bump.

After looking at these in our kitchen/dining room for a long time, my wife decided she wants to keep one. So now there is only one available to buy, but the buyer can still choose whichever one they want. I will just be keeping the other one.

Also open to fair offers.
wadd96
AG
Eventually!
V8Aggie
AG
ForeverAg said:

Free bump to OP, but Cody check out Anawhite.com
That's a great website. Also check out pinterest for ideas. Yes I am serious
TombstoneTex
AG
Have you thought about putting one at a boutique/consignment shop?

I like your work a lot but the opening to buy one of these is pretty limited to when someone moves into a new home unless they're going to get rid of a current kitchen island!
drummer0415
AG
Bump. Both tables still available.

I lowered the asking price to $350 each, but only here on TexAgs.

Also, a friend mentioned that the tables are great looking, but the casters may be visually unappealing to a potential buyer. I just want to address that and say that the casters are very easily removable and I wouldn't mind at all doing that for a potential buyer. Just be aware to two things:

1) That will make the table about 3" shorter, dropping the top surface from 35" high to a little over 32" high.
2) These tables are VERY heavy, and not having the casters will make them much more difficult to move.
drummer0415
AG
Bump. Both tables still available. Please come get them out of my dining room!!! (And also I want money to buy more tools, lol)
ls1aggie09
AG
Bumpe for tree fiddy
AggieFabricator
Thoughts on putting in (covered) outdoor kitchen area to use as an actual butcher block?
drummer0415
AG
My thoughts on using it as an actual butcher block are that it will probably hold up fine for quite a while, but eventually it will start to show a good amount of cut marks. Now, hardwoods will also show cut marks after a while, it's just that the pine will wear quicker. That being said, you have 5.5" or 7" of thickness to work with, and it wouldn't take more than a couple hours to sand down the top smooth again and re-oil it. Depending on how often you actually use it as a cutting board/butcher block, it would probably take years to get to a point where it actually needed to be redone.

My main reason for not advising people to cut on it is simply because it's not a "hardwood" and I don't want a customer to come back to me later and ask for their money back because it's got cut marks in it. So I'm just laying it all out on the table and putting my CYA disclaimer.

In reference to it being outdoors, it would be just fine as long as it under cover and not directly exposed to rain and stuff. The product I used to stain the legs/base is actually stain and polyurethane mixed together, and it got two coats of that, so it's well protected. Just make sure you keep the top oiled regularly.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.