Anybody in the market for some rare breed roosters? B/CS

2,028 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by A.G.S.
A.G.S.
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dey gone.
FearNoWeevil
AG
Have a friend who has begun raising Silkies. I'll check with them.

A.G.S.
AG
Email sent!
A.G.S.
AG
Silkies are gone. Olive Egger and Orpington are still available.
Build It
AG
Hey is it true that Texas passed a law we can all have chickens now? Friend on the HOA board told me. I saw the bill passed state senate but hadn't heard it was officially signed.
A.G.S.
AG
Build It said:

Hey is it true that Texas passed a law we can all have chickens now? Friend on the HOA board told me. I saw the bill passed state senate but hadn't heard it was officially signed.
Not sure about that.

I'd check your local ordinances first, just to be on the side.

That being said, only way you're gonna get in trouble in most places is if your neighbor calls in a noise complaint.
Build It
AG
Ok google was my friend. It did pass the senate. Got tacked on to an unrelated bill as an amendment along with many other shenanigans. It died before making it to the floor. It should come up again next session. So very soon we could have as many as 6 hens despite what your HOA says. State Senator actually did Foghorn Leghorn on the house floor during debates.
Burnsey
AG
FFS! Once again the morons are out trying to craft laws that nobody but a select few wants. We just had this issue come up in our neighborhood. Overwhelmingly we agreed that we didn't want HOA restrictions removed so property owners can raise chickens. Nobody wants the smell, the rodents, roosters, and all the other issues with raising chickens or...we would moved to a place that allowed it, duh. Leave the HOAs alone and let the market sort it out.
A.G.S.
AG
Does that mean that you don't want one (or both) of these fine roosters strutting around your back yard???

All legislation aside, these 2 guys are still available.
ToddyHill
AG
We had the same thing happen earlier this Spring when we picked up two Ameraucanas. One turned out to be a Rooster, which we've chosen to keep for the time being.

Love that Buff Orpington. We have six hens....they're just starting to lay.
A.G.S.
AG
Well there ya go, these are a perfect fit!

Let the buff handle his harem, and let the olive egger take of the ameracauna (that'd actually be a pretty cool cross).

Heck, I'll deliver em for free within 25 miles of BCS.
JYDog90
AG
[This is not the General Board. -Staff]
ToddyHill
AG
Wish I was closer....I live about 900 miles from College Station in a town just south of Knoxville.
Burnsey
tmaggies
AG
Burnsey said:

FFS! Once again the morons are out trying to craft laws that nobody but a select few wants. We just had this issue come up in our neighborhood. Overwhelmingly we agreed that we didn't want HOA restrictions removed so property owners can raise chickens. Nobody wants the smell, the rodents, roosters, and all the other issues with raising chickens or...we would moved to a place that allowed it, duh. Leave the HOAs alone and let the market sort it out.

Maybe you should educate yourself and friends more about chickens. Yes, roosters can be a problem but hens no. They don't attract rats and other rodents or have a smell problem. Matter of fact dogs can be more of a nuisance. Sorry OB about knocking your roosters but I was referring to HOV's. They have their place but not allowing a few hens is crazy.
A.G.S.
AG
No worries!

Roosters, in my experience, ain't gonna be any dirtier or stinkier than hens. I would love to keep em, but as ya mentioned they do have a tendency to be noisy. These 2 boys aren't any different. They both have a lovely crow (the olive egger is louder than the buff), but so far its only from about 615 to 645.

I've talked to my neighbors, and only one said he's even heard em (8 ft privacy fence helps keep a lot of sound in) but it's also not worth it to risk a noise complaint ticket to me.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.