WTB HO Model Train Accessories, Rolling stock etc

481 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by bcs_tx_guy
Lonestar_Ag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am getting my son a train set for Christmas and I would like to get him more stuff then just what comes in the starter sets.

TIA
bcs_tx_guy
I use modeltrainstuff.com regularly, good prices and tons of stuff. I'm in C.S. and there is no where local to get anything and the few stores in Houston are out of the way for me.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
That is where I am looking to get his initial setup...having a hard time deciding which one but such is the case. But their rolling stock is all $10-$15+ a piece. I was hoping to find some used pieces that arent being used anymore rather than buy it all new.

I was looking at the Athearn Union Pacific Roadhouse set and the Bachmann Overland Limited set, but I also like the engine that comes in some of the sets(silver rear portion and red front, thats what i had as a kid) Do you have any recommendations?
bcs_tx_guy
Let me start by saying that I do not claim to be an expert at all, I the knowledge I have acquired over the years has been through trial and error and every once in a while I paid attention while an "old timer" talked.

Athearn is the best route starter wise, even their worst locomotives are far superior to most other brands of the past. With that being said, some other manufacturers like Bachmann and Walthers are starting to make some decent quality entry level stuff for a good price. The biggest problem with a lot of entry level power comes later on if you want to upgrade the power supply to run DCC which is digital vs a standard ac/dc power pack with directional control.

As far as the rolling stock, 10 to 15 bucks a pop is only the start! Many pieces get expensive quick. I don't really know of anywhere to get used items other than maybe Amazon, Craiglist, etc. It takes some time to build up a yards worth of cars, but it pays off long term not worrying about cheap rolling stock that derails all the time. Just make sure the couplers are mounted to the car body, not the trucks and free rolling metal wheels are far superior to plastic shaft wheelsets. Metal couplers are great, but not a necessity because they can be upgraded later on for a low cost.

I guess overall part of the reason I lost interest when I was a kid was the cheapness of a lot of the trains I had combined with my lack of knowledge of how to fix them and make them work better. Now that I can spend a little more money here and there it is a lot more satisfying hobby building on what I already have.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.