Shimano Reel Cleaning/Repair

5,996 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jacobm24
jacobm24
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've got some extra time on my hands and enjoy cleaning Shimano bait casters. I worked for three years at a small tackle shop in my home town cleaning reels before going to college. If you'd like to know the shop name, I'll tell you, just don't want to include it in the post.

A little about me so you don't feel like you're sending your reels to a complete stranger. I graduated in '14 with a degree in petroleum engineering and still have a job (: . I usually do 1-2 reels per evening instead of watching TV or wasting my time and money on other things that I don't need to be doing.

I am located on the West Side of San Antonio in the Alamo Ranch subdivision but I am willing to meet to pick up/drop off your reels depending on how far away you are. You can also ship them to me if you'd like. Shipping is my preferred method.

I prefer cleaning only Shimano bait casters as mentioned above because they clean up well and parts are readily available. If you have other reels we can talk about it but I can't guarantee that I'll take them in. Like I said I'm doing this because I enjoy cleaning them and I like cleaning Shimanos, especially old greenies!

I'd also like to point out that I don't make any profit off of parts like some of the other reel cleaning shops. I will replace ONLY what needs to be replaced to get your reel back to how it should be working. I will contact you if your reel needs quite a bit of parts before replacing them and hitting you with a surprise bill.

I can work on your timeline. If you need it done quickly then I can knock them out fast. The closest major reel cleaning shop is right at 30 days out. I can get them done in less than a week if you need them as long as no major parts are needed.

I'll charge $25/ reel + any necessary parts + shipping if needed. I would also accept beer or ammo as payment

Feel free to call or text (361 - six-four-eight - 8099) if you have any questions. You can also pm me but I don't check pm's as often as I should.
Thanks,
-Jacob
jacobm24
AG
Just finished a box of 6 Curados/Chronarchs. Shoot me a text if you need some reels cleaned

-Jacob
99StationAG
AG
Fishing into the middle of next week, then will be sending a couple your way! Have two which need a little TLC, but worth keeping.

Please PM me address and info or email me at wbreauxATusclubsoccerDOTorg

TIA!

WB '99
Larry S Ross
AG
Bookmarking this. I was looking for someone last fall to work on two reels. Ended up paying too much and waiting too long at fishing unlimited.
jacobm24
AG
99StationAG said:

Fishing into the middle of next week, then will be sending a couple your way! Have two which need a little TLC, but worth keeping.

Please PM me address and info or email me at wbreauxATusclubsoccerDOTorg

TIA!

WB '99
Sent you an email with my address and a little info. Usually the older they are, the better they clean up. They just need a little love sometimes.

halfbean
AG
I sent six well used Shimano bait casters to Jacob ten days ago to be cleaned and just got them back.
They work as well as new or in the case of a couple I'm pretty sure they never worked that well. He did an excellent job of cleaning the reels. Several didn't need any parts. The ones that did he replaced bearings and washers at a very reasonable price. I can't wait to use my old chronarchs and curados next week and will be sending him a few more to get back in shape.
After having have had so so experiences in the past getting my reels worked on and had pretty much given up.
Would highly recommend Jacob.
Sgt. Hartman
AG
How old is old? I have a couple that are about ten years old. They are the light green not the dark green.
jacobm24
AG
Light green are the Curado super frees and they are some of the best reels they ever made! They clean up really well. I can get them taken care of.
Canyon99
Would you clean up an Abu Garcia 6500 c3? No problems with it.
99StationAG
AG
Jacob working on two Citicas for me right now. Responsive, professional, nice guy. Good choice already!

WB '99
jacobm24
AG
Canyon99 said:

Would you clean up an Abu Garcia 6500 c3? No problems with it.
I can take a look at it., I used to clean them all the time at the store. They usually don't clean up as well as a Shimano which is the only reason I prefer the Shimanos. If nothing is wrong with it, and its just dirty, I can get you fixed up.

forewarning: If there are any bad bearings, I will have to order them so the lead time will be a little longer. Usually takes 3 days for my parts to come in.
FCBlitz
Ambassador 2500C? Can you do those ?
jacobm24
AG
FCBlitz said:

Yessir, send it this way
99StationAG
AG
Just got (2) Citica's back from Jacob, and basically as good as new, at a very reasonable rate, and easy to work with. I won't say how quickly to get them there, and get them back, but let's just say VERY fast, and thorough! Would highly recommend.

Thanks Jacob!

WB '99
FCBlitz
I will try to get it off this week
Sgt. Hartman
AG
Just dropped off my two Curados and there is only one reel in front of me. Happy to help Jacob with his son's college education fund!
jacobm24
AG
Cleaned up Matt's dirty Calcutta last week and it turned out so good that it needed a picture. Needed no parts, just some TLC!

https://imgur.com/gallery/mvJbg

-Jacob
jacobm24
AG
FCBlitz said:

Received your reel. Should have it heading back to you by the end of the week.

As many have asked, I accept Venmo, PayPal, Check, or Cash (in person). Chase also started a peer fund transfer called Zelle so I can look into that as well.

Shipping is usually about $10 each way depending on how big of box you use. The most I have seen is 13$ for 5 reels but return shipping through UPS was only $10. They seem to be the cheapest.

I'm here to help. Feel free to call/text/post your questions.

-Jacob
361 - six-four-eight 8099
Red Fishing Ag93
AG
I'm looking forward finding my Super free and getting it to you, Jacob. Might be awhile, but glad to find you and your offering here.
jacobm24
AG
Red Fishing Ag93 said:

I'm looking forward finding my Super free and getting it to you, Jacob. Might be awhile, but glad to find you and your offering here.
Send it this way. I have two of them myself and they are sweet old reels.

I also offer super-tuning if anyone is interested. The reels that benefit most are the old green Curado B's, Citica B's and Chronarch B's.

Price is $35 which includes a clean, lube and super-tune and if you want to add the Boca Ceramics it will cost extra for those parts depending on which reel you send in.

I am also glad to offer any advice if you clean your own reels at no charge, whether it be parts sourcing, assembly questions or super-tuning. They're fun to tinker with!

-Jacob
ConstructionAg01
AG
Received an old Curado back from Jacob yesterday and am very pleased. Great communication and he went the extra mile on a difficult repair job. I'd recommend his services highly.
FCBlitz
I used Jacob for my shimano 2500c reel. He did a super job.
jacobm24
AG
Still running less than a week out for completion. Make sure you send them in after the summer fishing season before they seize up and get expensive to fix

-Jacob
Ragoo
AG
Did you decide if you will work Abu Garcia ambassador reels? I have two that need a good cleaning. One is making a high pitch noise when I cast.
jacobm24
AG
Jon H. Ryan said:

Did you decide if you will work Abu Garcia ambassador reels? I have two that need a good cleaning. One is making a high pitch noise when I cast.
I can clean ambassadors as long as they don't need parts as they can be hard to find. Bearings are easy to find but if the line guide isn't going back and forth (very common on these reels) then it's not worth sending in. send them this way and I will fix them up. If I cant then you will only pay return shipping to get them back.

Thanks,
-Jacob
jacobm24
AG
Just FYI guys, All bearing replacements that I make are Boca Ceramic ABEC5s. Thye will get you spinning and bird-nesting like no other!
jacobm24
AG
I'll post this up here since I have been asked a few times. I will clean Penn and Abu Garica fishing reels. The old Ambassadeurs, 109's, 209's, 309's and up as well as the bigger offshore reels if you need those done. as long as it isn't a spinning reel, I can get it fixed up. Just shoot me a text first and check with me before sending it. still right around a week turnaround.

-Jacob
jacobm24
AG
Just turned over some reels in less than 4 days. Let me know if I can do anything to help yall out.

-Jacob
Bobby42
I have a curado that needs some work if you are still cleaning reels.

Let me know.
jacobm24
AG
Bobby42 said:

I have a curado that needs some work if you are still cleaning reels.

Let me know.
Yes sir. Still churning them out. Shoot me a text or give me a call so we can plan out the details.

361 - six four eight - 8099
jacobm24
AG
Shameless bump to the top. Get those reels in shape before big trout season starts up!
Ragoo
AG
jacob-
i need to get some boxes and strip off the line. i will send you a text for shipping instructions later. probably tomorrow.
GFlowers
jacobm24
AG
Ragoo said:

jacob-
i need to get some boxes and strip off the line. i will send you a text for shipping instructions later. probably tomorrow.

No need to strip the line. I can clean them with line on, or strip the line for you. That service is included in the cleaning price!

-Jacob
jacobm24
AG
Still moving through reels at a decent pace. I can get them done and heading back within a week of recieving them. Shoot me a text!

-Jacob
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.