Walnut Slab Dining Table

5,877 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by agrams
agrams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I made this walnut table for our own home use, but am looking to sell it so I can make a bigger one for us. It is approximately 83" long x 34"-41" wide and 2" thick with zebrawood butterfly dovetails. I made the base pretty simple as I didn't have a good idea what I wanted for a base, but I could sell it without the base, or possibly make a new one per buyers choice. The current base is just black dyed hard maple, nothing fancy.

Asking $2700 and I am located in D/FW and could deliver or meet anywhere in 1-2 hours of the metroplex, or I make frequent trips down to Houston and CS and could work something out.

Edit to drop price to 2700.
MichaelJ
AG
That's beautiful. Wish I had the money/need/space

Do you make other things?
FISHNAG
AG
Yes he does. I bought a couple of outstanding cutting boards from him.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GramsWoodworks
agrams
AG
I do, but i don't advertise general items or try to solicit business on texags as I am not a sponsor. I only listed this because I made it for another purpose but want to move it out so I can upgrade/do something else for myself. I once posted a general 'hey I make stuff' thread in the classifieds, but that got deleted, so I am trying to stay on this side of the forum rules.

(staff please forgive me if this thread is over the line, but I am not trying to do anything other than sell my dining table)
Goose
AG
Would make an awesome desk as well.
Bird Poo
AG
Made me a badarse bar table. Still going strong and getting lots of use!
JYDog90
AG
Agrams threads are my one of my favorites on Texags
StoloAg2010
AG
Goose said:

Wood make an awesome desk as well.

Fify
agrams
AG
Goose, funny you should mention that. That slab is actually the bigger end of a long slab. I cut it in two pieces to make a desk from the narrower end and a table from the wider end.

The full slab, with the left half being a desktop, and the right half for this table.

The desktop from the other half:

Kayak, glad to hear that bar table is working out well. That was a new finish that I hadn't used, so it always makes me nervous (but it was by far the most recommended/highest quality one I could find).
Basketball and Chain
AG
That desk is legit
Goose
AG
Basketball and Chain said:

That desk is legit

Yes it is.
Reload8098
AG
I've purchased about 15 cutting boards from Agrams and they have all been great gifts.
62strat
AG
agrams said:

Goose, funny you should mention that. That slab is actually the bigger end of a long slab. I cut it in two pieces to make a desk from the narrower end and a table from the wider end.

The full slab, with the left half being a desktop, and the right half for this table.

The desktop from the other half:

Kayak, glad to hear that bar table is working out well. That was a new finish that I hadn't used, so it always makes me nervous (but it was by far the most recommended/highest quality one I could find).

damn where you get a big ol piece of wood like that?! How much does something like that cost? I'd be so afraid to take a saw to it, I'd never finish the project!
agrams
AG
Bump because the wife wants this thing moved and a different style.
redass1876
AG
free bump for beauty
Vernada
AG
FYI - guy in my hometown sells similar handmade tables for +/-$4,000.
agrams
AG
Vernada, yeah they can get pretty stupid expensive pretty quickly. This is a bit cheaper because It was half of a larger slab that I used the smaller piece for a desktop, and buying the larger slab and having both shipped at the same time saved on the shipping and board foot price. If I bought this alone, it would probably add 500-700 overall. It could be used as a rather large desktop and I could make a desk base if someone wanted.

I'm pretty transparent on my projects and material costs, but if someone is curious what slabs run, berkshireproducts.com is a good website to browse what average slab costs are.
cevans_40
AG
Agrams doesn't even know how busy he would be if I ever hit the loto. Beautiful work as always.
redass1876
AG
No mesquite on that website? They are crazy

No pecan either!
agrams
AG
Just assume stupid expensive on mesquite. It's not a common product. Only smaller specialty mills mess with it, meaning it costs more. Average is around 15$/bf.
agrams
AG
Bump. I'm finishing my new table and need to move this.
redass1876
AG
If it wouldn't make the rest of my home look like crap (everything else is relatively generic/cheap stuff) i would really be interested

When i start building the place i want to retire up, i will definitely be talking to you about a few things but this is many years down the road sadly
AggieAces06
AG
I would love to take this off your hands. I think it would be awesome for the house we are wanting to build, but that's at least a year away...
jgh85Ag
AG
Could you make a pecan cutting board with walnut inlaid block T? Cost for a large or medium?
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
You should try a consignment shop
Post removed:
by user
BQRyno
AG
If it's like the other pieces I've bought from agrams, it's indestructible. He uses a waterproofing and wax on it so you don't have to worry about water rings, and the finish is super durable. He's a pleasure to work and deal with.
agrams
AG
care is like a normal table. Soap/water/wipe. The finish is a basecoat of shellac, then about 5 coats of a wipe on varnish. The wood is from a mill in california, and while they technically didn't advertise it as claro walnut, it has the character and density I would expect from a claro, and one of the added benefits of claro is that it is harder than black walnut, so holds up well.

I have used this table for about a year now with my 2 kids, and have little to no show or wear. If someone does buy it, I will most likely sand down and completely refinish the top so that it looks brand new (and to the sheen preference of whomever buys it). Given the nature of the character of the wood, there are some slight nicks/spots on the top just from the way the tree was that are still present. I intentionally didn't epoxy some of the smaller spots as I find a few natural spots of distress/character will help hide any eventual dents/dings/wear spots.

I sometimes do spray on finishes as they are quick and easy for me, but for stuff like this, I like a wipe on finish that way should the top ever get heavily scratched the owner can get some sandpaper, sand the damage out and easily reapply a few coats of finish themselves for a simple repair. Or if they owner wants to refresh the finish, they can wipe a new coat of varnish on themselves.
Post removed:
by user
agrams
AG
bump
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.