WTS Antique Gibson Les Paul

2,521 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Superdave1993
agcrock2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know this is a thread fail with no pics. I tried to pull up pictures from thread a couple years ago when I posted about the guitar but I couldn't find it. I don't remember which forum it was on.

I'd like to sell my Les Paul custom. It's early 50's model and worth quite a bit and don't know the best method to sell it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If I can find the other thread I'll post some pics. Thanks.
80sGeorge
AG
Try Heritage Auctions. They do several guitar sales ea yr. might have some value insight.

https://www.ha.com/c/about.zx
Oyster DuPree
AG
https://texags.com/forums/50/topics/2464405/replies/39046300#39046300
TP Ag '87
AG
Agcrock: I had sent you a note in that previous thread about my (then) boss being interested.

If you'd like, I will send him an email to gauge his current interest. He's a great guy who you'd have no qualms about working with.
TP Ag '87
AG
Agcrock: heard from my old boss and he's very interested. He also wants you to know that he is a guy that would actually keep and play both pieces and not be looking to flip.

If you wanna talk to him, we'll figure out a way to get you both connected.
Ag MD 84
AG
Biggest guitar show in the world is in Dallas the first weekend of May. There will be buyers from all over the world. Take guitar & amp up there and "walk them around"---you will get lots of advice and offers. Not any more, but in the past, I've bought/sold/traded multiple 50's and 60's Gibsons and Fenders. Another option would be consignment at a vintage guitar dealer --- I've used Austin Vintage Guitar in past with good results. Check out Gbase website to get idea re: retail value.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Oh, man. I remember that thread. Such a great story. How much are you looking to get? Do you still have the amp?
Ag MD 84
AG
Saw two similar amps on Gbase---one was beat-up and they were asking $4k and the other was mint and they were asking $9k. If original, the case (guitar) adds another $1-2k. If only the guitar had PAF humbucking pickups, then it might be worth $75k; as it is, if the guitar is all original and great condition, it might be worth $30k. Good luck.
agcrock2005
AG
Thanks for the responses. If anyone is reading the old thread and wondering why I'm now looking to sell, I've thought more and more about the thing and it's a piece that shouldn't be sitting in my closet. Instead of me keeping this thing and letting it fall apart in my closet so that I can pass it to my kids who never knew my great grandfather and would probably sell it in a heartbeat, I think it should be in the hands of a guitar lover. It's a bad ass piece of history that shouldn't be in my closet.

TP, glad to talk to your boss. E=mail is agcrock2005 at gmail
Junkhead, don't have an exact value selected. Would definitely do a little more research but I can't imagine letting go for less than $30K based off what I do know. I do still have the amp as well. It looks exactly like the photos in the last thread...because I haven't touched it since.. Ha.
TP Ag '87
AG
I'll send him your email. And, just to be forthright so you guys can see if there's a possible deal to be forged, I'll share with him your note to Junkhead re: price range.
TP Ag '87
AG
Agcrock: Traded emails with old boss. He stated your price thought of $30k was too rich for his blood. Not speaking for him but I get impression he was hoping in the $20's.

If you ever want to talk with him directly, feel free to shoot me a note.
agcrock2005
AG
TP Ag '87 said:

Agcrock: Traded emails with old boss. He stated your price thought of $30k was too rich for his blood. Not speaking for him but I get impression he was hoping in the $20's.
Once I learn a little more about it then I might reach out to you. I really don't know the value. Thanks for reaching out to him.
TP Ag '87
AG
Sounds fair.

Note that he was not bashing you on the price as he stated to me that the market for these types of items are quite volatile/fluid. You may very well get 100% of your #. He just doesn't want you to go get low-balled at Guitar Center. He'd be a much better buyer, not to mention a safe, all-cash one at that.

Keep in touch.
Superdave1993
AG
Don't want to hijack, get bashed, or question the value on this at all.

What on earth makes these old guitars so pricey? Do they sound or play better, limited production, or survival rate?

I can understand the history in something like this, but would think it would belong to someone famous to justify the price.

BTW I looked at the old thread and it is a very cool looking set, but would sound like a Walmart special in my hands. I am as musically gifted as Navin R. Johnson
TP Ag '87
AG
I"ll take a shot at this, but others will surely prove more eloquent.

Simply, it's deemed a collectible. Really has little (most likely) to do with its actual sound, although the sound will surely be unique to anything out there today. These pieces are viewed, at least by some, as works of art. Hence, its "value" is what at least 1 person in the world will pay for it.

Go look over on the Food & Spirits board in the What's In Your Cellar thread. I've posted on there 100's of times as I love and am fascinated by wine and all aspects of it: the wine itself, the business/industry, the people, the science. Yet, at one point in that thread, I questioned why people would pay WELL over $100 for a bottle. Surely, it can't taste that dramatically better than an exceptional $50 bottle. The answers received were similar to what I'm trying to express here about this guitar.

I kinda got the gist of the responses, and the "thrill of the hunt" kinda vibe as well. I even likened it to the "good old days" of how much fun I had hanging out at record stores, just sifting through all of them and soaking all of that aura in.

Cheesy I know, but that's my $0.02.
Superdave1993
AG
That is what I figured, but did not know if they actually "don't make them like they used to".

Bourbon, has gotten pretty dumb on the price scale as well.

TP Ag '87
AG
Pretty good discussions here:

Why so expensive?
Superdave1993
AG
Thank you sir.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.