Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Fran sharing personal information

7,328 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 16 yr ago by slurpee
SECTAMU#1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Two days before A&M's opener against Montana State earlier this month, six players were listed in the newsletter as "unavailable for action." The newsletter included each player's name and his injury.

"A seventh player, Roger Holland, is iffy," the newsletter said. "He recovered drastically from a mile (sic) concussion carried over from Sunday, but not fully."

This information is all personal and can not be shared.
Exiled
For $1200 you'd think McKenzie could run a spell check.
Ishmael-Ag
AG
One more nail. Next we'll hear the spin it was all for the little sisters of charity or blind orphans of Via Cuna or ex-hookers of La Grange.
Artimus Gordon
What was the report for the Miami game?

"We are going to keep JTrain on the bench because we can't run inside against Miami. We will also run a bunch a crappy plays and get our arses handed to us."

I am sure the bookies phones were ringing off the wall.

maroonblood
AG
It is really annoying. On one hand, he tells the media his policy is to not discuss player injuries - presumably out of respect for his kids. All the while, he is creating a market for the private information, and is willing to sell it to those who will pay a high price. I used to respect his policy of not discussing, but now it's clear why he didn't discuss it. Quite a contrast between Fran and certain other coaches that get fired up over protecting their kids.
SECTAMU#1
Under the Family Education Right to Privacy Act, for each student that Franchione shared personal information (injuries) that family could sue him. He not only shared it, he sold it. I am surprised Byrne just strongly suggested he stop versus ordering him to stop.
atm2000
AG
Keep in mind that "strongly suggested" in many cases means the same thing as "stop doing that." It just allows the coach to say he stopped it and gives some respect to the coach...you know the thing that our coach doesn't give our players...
Kramer
AG
I've been one to tell everyone to hold the personal attacks, but I think we may have broken another seal.

I've got no problem if Fran had offered a newsletter on his website, like some coaches do. However, there is something inherently dishonest about telling the world that you don't talk about injuries, and then releasing that information secrectly. And $1200 is, I believe, an inflated price to meant to cover the "risks."

I don't believe he violated any portion of the Family Education Right to Privacy Act because the status of these injuries is not a secret. Everyone on the team knows who is injured. All the coaches and trainers know. If that many people know, it's not a secret. That act was to prevent the release of grades and admission status, not injuries. See S.1232g.Section 4.B.iv.

quote:
(B) The term "education records" does not include--

(iv) records on a student who is eighteen years of age or older, or is attending an institution of postsecondary education, which are made or maintained by a physician, psychiatrist, psychologist, or other recognized professional or paraprofessional acting in his professional or paraprofessional capacity, or assisting in that capacity, and which are made, maintained, or used only in connection with the provision of treatment to the student, and are not available to anyone other than persons providing such treatment, except that such records can be personally reviewed by a physician or other appropriate professional of the student's choice.

Finally, whatever you do, you HAVE to tell your boss. The fact that he didn't tell BB is a serious blow and underscores that this was wrong and he knew it.

Just sounds like more money-making. $2M a year, plus a $1200 per year newsletter.

[This message has been edited by Kramer (edited 9/28/2007 8:00a).]
gopitt
McKenzie should be fired. The guy is nothing but trouble and spills inside info in casual conversations. He tries to prove that he is in the "in cwowd" but this guy does nothing but stir the pot.
Ghost writer for Fran and a huge rumor peddler. We don't need his ilk around here at all.
BarnacleScraper
AG
quote:

Nice Exiled
Sox
AG
quote:
However, there is something inherently dishonest about telling the world that you don't talk about injuries, and then releasing that information secrectly.

The only saving grace that he has here is that he can make an argument that sharing sensitive information with rich old Ags is completely different than with the media.

I don't know how I feel about it, yet. But the lack of sunlight on it makes me uneasy that there's more to it.
Sox
AG
quote:

"Mile" would not have shown up as a misspelling. He just needs to proofread better.
timberag
AG
In the spirit of full disclosure, Texas A&M and/or the Athletic Department should publish these reports at the end of the football season. For the thousands of loyal Aggie supporters who pay per seat annual donations and high ticket prices, we should have been given the opportunity to participate if we so desired. Secret info to a few select Former Students is B/S. I better stop now before my blood pressure gets any higher.
Sox
AG
Full disclosure...they wouldn't do it voluntarily on your life. Keep in mind these weren't just injury reports, it was also, here's why player xyz sucks.
LestatBQ02
quote:
Secret info to a few select Former Students is B/S.

Havent been around big time college athletics long, have you?

Do you think this is some kind of isolated incident? You pay the big $$$$ to be a booster, you reap some benefits over the average fan...

This happens in pretty much every facet of life...Look at clubs in Vegas...Celebrities (boosters) get much better service and perks then the regular folks who pay $20 to get inside the club...

Im not sure why thats a problem to some people...Would you really have paid $1200 a year for injury reports?
BusAg
AG
If there is another benifit to a possible Coaching change it would be that Mic Mac would be outta here as well
Crew92Ag
AG
Seriously people, put down the I Hate Fran glasses for a minute.

There is nothing wrong or illegal with discussing injuries. Many teams make it public.

Second, he never stated he kept them quiet out of respect for the players. He kept them quiet to gain an advantage against other teams.

Finally, he didn't offer this to the public becuase he knows half the idiots on this board would be posting the info every time regardless of a CA agreement.

He did nothing wrong. You people are just looking for any excuse to kick him out the door.
baumenhammer
AG
i wonder how the players feel about it?

even if it werent cause for him to be fired - hows it sit in the players mind knowing their coach is SELLING information about them?

if you're sick, the doctors can only discuss your injuries with your employer with your permission. your employer is not given free reign to tell that information to anyone he wants - he is only given it for the sake of planning around your injury.

fran only knows the details of his players injuries because he HAS to in order to plan an "effective" gameplan with the rest of his team. - he doesnt know about them because its his 'right' to know - and i think its a gross abuse of his position to profit from that information.

i sure as hell know that if my employer sold personal information about me, especially with regards to injury or illness, i would be PISSED and quite possibly take them to court - and WIN.

how is this issue any different?
gigm*94
AG
The letter doesn't bother me at all. I just have a feeling it would violate his contract in some way shape or form. If the boss didn't know about it, which I am not sure he didn't, then Fran screwed up. If the boss was ok with the deal.....then more power to him for doing it. We all give what we feel is a lot of money. But there are definately a few boosters that give the most (kinda like the tax code).
BirdieJF
AG
Think Luicci gets a copy?
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
quote:
I am sure the bookies phones were ringing off the wall.

TRUTH. At least mine would have gotten a call or 23.
IslandAg76
AG
quote:
He did nothing wrong

Maybe not but it feels wrong and it sounds cheap and petty.

I am mostly one of the Sunshine Boys but this just has a noxious odor.
WestAustinAg
AG
McKenzie will be fired. He consistently runs around Byrne's programs and plans. McKenzie is aligned with Fran only. This will be the excuse that Byrne needs to push him out the door.
CDub06
AG
I've been hurt before, but it was never that serious. I once experienced a kilometer concussion...
Just Tired
quote:
I once experienced a kilometer concussion...
underrated line
jag2k2
AG
quote:
On one hand, he tells the media his policy is to not discuss player injuries - presumably out of respect for his kids. All the while, he is creating a market for the private information, and is willing to sell it to those who will pay a high price.

Nice. I wish Richard Justice would quote one of my posts in the Houston Chronicle.
Angry Beaver
AG
I'm with Kramer...

There is a lot of herb in Colorado. People get "confused" a lot.
EagleAg
AG
BIG121ST...quite posting unsound allegations...he did nothing illegal

---------------------
If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.
Thomas Jefferson

Make an outward display of confusion while actually being well ordered. Show an appearance of hunger while actually being well fed. Keep your sharp weapons within and show only dull and poor weapons outside. Have some troops come together, others split up; some assemble, others scatter. Make secret plans, keep your intentions secret. Raise the height of fortifications, and conceal your elite troops. If the officers are silent, not making any sounds, then the enemy will not know your preparations. Then if you want to take his wester flank, attack the eastern one.
Tai Gong's Six Secret Teachings
keal231
The only pass my QB can complete is to his mom in the stands.
aggie_sprt
You can tell the sharks are circling. Mack Brown is the reigning chairman of Thug U yet it's Fran that is getting all the press, all of it negative and all of it exploding from one loss.

Just goes to show that losses in high profile games do matter.
MrMiyAggie
AG
mcgee eats chicken with his mom after games
SECTAMU#1
Here you go Eagleag, from the Eagle:

"The Family Education Right to Privacy Act is a federal law that governs the release of a student's education records, including personal identifiable information (name, address, Social Security number, etc.) from those records," the form says. A university spokesperson provided The Eagle with a copy of the form Friday.

"Medical information is considered part of a student-athlete's educational record," the form says.

slurpee
quote:
It is really annoying. On one hand, he tells the media his policy is to not discuss player injuries - presumably out of respect for his kids. All the while, he is creating a market for the private information, and is willing to sell it to those who will pay a high price. I used to respect his policy of not discussing, but now it's clear why he didn't discuss it. Quite a contrast between Fran and certain other coaches that get fired up over protecting their kids.

i did not have to read further than this post on this thread. head, coffin, nail.

if i'm a player and the coach does this to me, "he gone."
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.