Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Would You Take Applewhite?

11,716 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 16 yr ago by texd
The Marine Biologist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I for one would remove the maroon glasses, and see him as the best upcoming coach in college football.

At some point, would you take Major Applewhite as a coach for TAMU?
Evanhue
AG
I would definitaley take him as OC. This whole group is clueless.
BigPete259
I always liked/hated him. I dont know what he is doing now, I know he is coaching at texas I assume. I thought he should have gotten more of a look in the NFL but no one wanted to give him a REAL chance. I dont think he is ready to be a coach yet, but one day...I wouldnt mind him.
TurboVelo
AG
He is obviously going to be a great OC, and probably a very good HC. He's not ready yet to be an HC.

What about Venables?
AggieBattleAxe
He's the OC at Rice.

Watch him beat the sips this Saturday. That would be poetic.
tommyjohn
he is the oc @ bama
Pizza the Hut
AG
Bring him on as an OC. Always thought he got screwed with whole Simms thing. I don't care if he's a 'sip; if he brings in championships, Aggieland will love him.
TurboVelo
AG
quote:
I always liked/hated him. I dont know what he is doing now, I know he is coaching at texas I assume. I thought he should have gotten more of a look in the NFL but no one wanted to give him a REAL chance. I dont think he is ready to be a coach yet, but one day...I wouldnt mind him.

Really? You didn't know that he is Nick Saban's Offensive Coordinator at Alabama?

Certainly makes me wonder how much some of you know about football.
TurboVelo
AG
quote:
He's the OC at Rice.

Watch him beat the sips this Saturday. That would be poetic.

Wow. Another one.
Aggies12sips7
Happy Feller
quote:
I dont know what he is doing now, I know he is coaching at texas I assume. ... I dont think he is ready to be a coach yet, but one day

You're kidding...right?

-Kick 'em!
Post removed:
by user
CSTXAG
AG
I heard from a reliable source that before the season, Major Applewhite had called one of our former players (now part time TV broadcaster) looking for a way to get an interview for the quarterbacks coach position at A&M. Former player called Franchione but was told by him that Major wasn’t what we were looking for and he wouldn’t fit into our scheme. Applewhite's now lighting up defenses as OC at Alabama. I guess Saban was able to make the guy fit into his scheme. Yes, I think he would be an excellent hire. the guy's a winner.
AggieBB
AG
Damn, thats pretty impressive. He is currently coaching at tu, Rice, and Bama all at the same time!
gandvshelton
How bout Tedford as HC and Applewhite as OC and for the love of god get a new DC to go with them
Bockaneer
AG
as far as potential- without a doubt

don't forget, tu's best coach was from oklahoma while ou's favorite coach played at arkansas... why would his alma mater matter in the end?
Tyson_Ag
I think Major Applewhite can do this. He already has name recognition in Texas and Louisiana. He's accomplished a lot at his young age, more so than Fran in his old age. The 3 year turn-around? Myth. It happened once...TCU, where he had a future HOF RB. Major is THE reason Rice went to that bowl game last season and he's gaining a ton of experience under Saban. He is Greg Davis with stones. Whatever your take is on Davis, his last two starting QBs are in the NFL. The only knock on him is his playcalling. If you watched Rice last season and are watching Alabama this season you see that those offenses go down field with a great mix of run and pass. I know he's extremely young but seriously, where do we turn to next? TCU is ahead of us now; Patterson will not come here. I honestly feel that Chris Petersen would not come here because his next job will be at an elite program like Michigan or LSU if Miles leaves. We've dwindled down to where our next coach will be either a non-BCS head coach looking for a step up or a coordinator wanting to be a head coach. Major Applewhite could get this program back on track to where when he leaves for Texas, we could be in a position again to go out and get an already made head coach. I'm down in making Major Applewhite the next DX Bible.
BigPete259
wow! I didnt know that. He is doing a GREAT job there then. I know he was signed by the pats (I think) and they wanted to put him on the practice squad so he said no thanks and wanted to start coaching and I think got on as an assitant with texas the next year..that is the last I heard and lost track of him. Guess it's been awhile now. Still feels like yesterday I was booing him. Thats cool that is at bama. Thanks for the info.
TXAGEE
AG
How 'bout Johnny Holland. Currently the linebackers coach under Kubiak at Houston.
Sea Pony 07
AG
I'd take Applewhite.
tamuangry
I'm for it.
AggieCru
I always liked Applewhite and his character. It seemed like he never meshed well with Mack.

As for his coaching experience I think he's a great up and coming coach and could take A&M's offense to a whole new level. Not to mention it would be great to see him out coach Mack Brown one day.
BigPete259
Returning to Texas as a graduate assistant, Applewhite served in that position until early 2005 when he was offered the position of quarterbacks coach at Syracuse University by new head coach Greg Robinson, Texas' former defensive coordinator. On January 8, 2006, after one year at Syracuse (in which the Orange posted a 1-10 record), Rice University named Applewhite offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach under new head coach Todd Graham.[5] Graham said of Applewhite's expected contribution to the new staff, "We want to spread the field and throw the football, and every quarterback and receiver in this state will be interested in Rice with Major as our offensive coordinator."[6] At Rice, Applewhite moved the team away from the wishbone offense and moved them to a more modern, one-running-back formation similar to that used by Texas.[3] During his one season at Rice, the team posted a 7-6 record and attended its first bowl game in over forty years.

Applewhite was hired on January 13, 2007, by the head coach at Alabama, Nick Saban, to serve as the offensive coordinator for the University of Alabama Crimson Tide. Major has since made a big showing in the early parts of recruiting for the 2008 signing class and has taken the lead on recruiting for the Crimson Tide in Texas. With many of the connections he has from Texas and Rice, Major has helped Alabama become a big name for top offensive high school players in Texas.[7]
AMReasons
AG
I'd take him in a heartbeat.
AggieBB
AG
quote:
I know he is coaching at texas I assume

quote:
I know he was signed by the pats (I think)

Please stop now....
chazhorn
Major took over at Southlake after Dodge left to coach SMU. His team played pretty good last night in a win over Plano.
agdoc91
AG
In all seriousness, why would he leave the OC job at Alabama to be an OC here?
BigPete259
The more I think about it, the more this makes sense. This is exactly the type of guy BB would WANT to hire. I dont know if the poster of this thread really thought this could happen, but if the timing is right (08 or 09) I think we might have something here!
rgt99
Doesnt Spurrier kind of remind anyone of Quagmire from family guy.
BigPete259
AggieBB...idiot both those things happened

After graduation, Applewhite attended the 2002 training camp of the New England Patriots, but quit prior to the start of the season to pursue a career in coaching.

Returning to Texas as a graduate assistant, Applewhite served in that position until early 2005

I know what I'm talking about. Those were both off the top of my head also, so YOU stop now! bojo
awinlonghorn
applewhite will become an OC at texas before he does at A&M. as a headcoach, it might be a&m first.
AggieBB
AG
BigPete....moron. Read what you said. You know you think, you know you assume. Yes, please stop so people will quit laughing at you.
Hornblood
I realize that you guys are looking for answers right now, but "he never meshed well with Mack"? Are you kidding?

As TexPete already pointed out, he was an graduate assistant in Mack's program after graduating - I reckon they meshed well enough. Also, "word is" that Major's got his eyes on a prize about a hundred miles West of CS. Anything can happen, I guess, but I agree: why would he leave Bama to come to .... never mind.
Husker
This site is already up and running for your next head coach:

http://www.firemajorapplewhite.com/
MW_111
Wasn't Darnell a sip coach. He has turned out well.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.