Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

tus wiki version of 12-7

2,701 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 16 yr ago by PJYoung
Chetos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Texas_Longhorn_football_team

biased or not...you make the call

quote:

However, Sweed was flagged for a "questionable" pass interference call.[157] According to the Austin American-Statesman the referee blew the call[158] as replays showed that both players were involved in some "hand checking while the ball was in the air, but neither player appeared to push or be guilty of interference".[157] All three broadcasters working the game for ABC also spoke out against the penalty call.[159][160] In an ABC half-time interview, Mack Brown said “I thought it was a bad call,” but added “There’s nothing we can do about that. We should’ve done a better job on third down.”[157][160]

quote:

Fellow Longhorn Selvin Young said he thought the hit was clean calling it a "textbook hit".[175]

There's other good tid-bits in there...see for yourself.
FullDraw
AG
Alright, someone w computer skills post the pic with one of the most blatant face mask push-offs in the history of the sport now.
Chetos
AG
it's funny...the pic is posted on the wiki sight. The same picture is used to support both sides of the argument.
GiveUsRoom
DecadePlan
AG
That is the funniest write-up I've seen on Wiki in a long time. One could search high and low and be hard-pressed to find more pathetic whiners than folks like this author. Notice how he cites all his wahhhh's? An art form I tells ya - an ART form!
AggieDub04
AG
The Big 12 never said Bennett's hit should have been called late. The Houston Chronicle just ran with something. I suppose i could be a jerk and just change it on wikipedia.
tfunk02
AG
83Aggie
AG
That Bingo card is pure genius ... pure genius
ParisTx04
where's the gif?
AB2
AG
Thanks 83!
HarveyBirdman
AG
I see nothing wrong with what Sweed did there. Whats the big deal???
jbirdag96
AG
Sheesh...can't anybody see what is really happening there???? Our player is clearly holding a fake arm to make it appear as though the sip is pushing his head back.
ParisTx04
The ref probably doesn't throw a flag if it's not hand-to-facemask. Lucky for us it was.
catorano
Paris, if "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, then every day would be Christmas.
SteadicaTm
AG
quote:
With about four minutes to play in the first half, McCoy connected with Limas Sweed for an apparent five-yard touchdown pass.[155][156] However, Sweed was flagged for an obvious pass interference call.[157] According to the Austin American-Statesman the referee blew the call[158] even though the replay showed that Limas Sweed's hand was in the Aggie defenders facemask resulting in the correct pass interference call. ref name="questionable call preserves">Bridges, Jeff. "Questionable call preserves early shutout for Aggies", Austin American-Statesman, 24 November 2006. Retrieved on 2006-11-25. </ref> All three broadcasters working the game for ABC also spoke out against the penalty call but upon video evidence were clearly wrong.[159][160] In an ABC half-time interview, Mack Brown said “I thought it was a bad call,” but added “There’s nothing we can do about that. We should’ve done a better job on third down.”[157][160]

catorano
Cry babies.
clint
If you read the entire thing it seems pretty unbiased.
"With about four minutes to play in the first half, McCoy connected with Limas Sweed for an apparent five-yard touchdown pass.[155][156] However, Sweed was flagged for an obvious pass interference call.[157] "

"Following the change of possession and sometime near the whistle signalling the end of the play on the field, Aggie Kellen Heard knocked McCoy to the ground as McCoy walked along the field unbuckling his chin strap."

This makes it sound pretty fair.

Clint Bandfield '03
Gig'em Aggies!!!
catorano
Keep reading about the "injury."
AnalogyAg
that's why they're 'sips and we're Aggies.

Imagine what our write-up for the prior year could have been. You're hard pressed to find almost any discussion at all about our muffed punt that we recovered (I think it was Carpenter?)with a clear AP photo showing him sitting on the ground with both arms around the ball before he is jumped on. And absolutely no replay was used for whatever reason. Or the clear helmet to helmet on McGee. But let 'em whine- they're going to need the practice for the next few years....
DecadePlan
AG
If this wasn't written by a sip, I'd almost feel sorry for how he embarrassed himself. I was going to protest it for accuracy too, then I realized - it's better unchallenged.

Never thought I'd see anyone make Baylor fans look classy.
GI
I noticed it reverted back to the inaccurate version.
Objective Texasguy
quote:
reverted back

Nice Grammar.

There was obvious hand jostling and Sweed got the last push and probably the hardest push in at the end. We have all seen it not called, but it was offensive interference.

That did not cost us the game at all.

Being pushed around by your OL and DL cost us the game.

A few fans will BEECH and MOAN about calls/injuries in every close loss.

I have seen more talk about this game's penalties on this site than any Texas fans site though.
AggieOgre09
^
|
|
|

Good post. I'll buy the "objective" part, for now. I always think it's funny when people focus on McCoy being injured. He wasn't the one who let our offense run up and down the field all day.
schmendeler
AG
thanks ObjectiveTG, for continuing to be a quality horn poster.
Objective Texasguy
Thanks. I do think the PI was the "proper" call on a play that rarely gets called properly. Make sense?

That penalty and Colt's health were factors like anything else, but not being able to run (your DL/LBs beating our OL) and you being able to run (your OL beating our DL/LB) were the biggest stories of the game and effected the outcome more than anything else.

There are some Texas fans (the case would be similar for some Aggie fans if the shoe were on the other foot) will focus on some of the minor elements that contributed to the loss (PI, McCoy, etc.). However, we simply did not get it done. Y'al did.

The hits on McCoy at the end of the game make for annoying internet fodder, but the game was all but decided by then.

Texas did NOT have to start Colt. If they could do it all over again, I wonder if they wish they had not. That is irrelevant though. Coaching decisions and player's health are as much a part of the game as PI, Punts, and Passes.

Y'all won. We lost.

We move on...

It is up to A&M to build on that win. It is up to Texas to stem any tide that built up from it.
PJYoung
AG
Colt played extremely well in the first half. The hit by Harrington on an interception is what reinjured him. He was never the same after that.

quote:
There was obvious hand jostling and Sweed got the last push and probably the hardest push in at the end.

And it just happened to be right in Gorrer's face lol.
ParisTx04
I watched the game again recently.
McCoy was on fire at the beginning of the game. However, he was throwing timing passes and passes that require accuracy more than arm strength. Somewhere around the third quarter he began to short hop passes and have passes tipped by receivers and defensive backs. On the Dodge interception where McCoy gets hit by Heard, he was trying to roll to his left and throw accross the grain. The ball had NO heat on it whatsoever.

My point? McCoy was indeed injured the entire game. He may have felt ok at first, but the tape shows that he fatigued quickly and really had no zip on the ball.

OTG - Do you think the fact that Snead knew McCoy was hurt yet McCoy still got the start had any hand in his transfer?
Objective Texasguy
My understanding of Snead's situation was as follows:

Recruited with legit shot at earning starting QB spot in his FR year. He enrolled early and was neck-and-neck with McCoy through msot of spring. By end of Spring, McCoy had slight edge, but both were billed to get PT.

Many MAck bashers were talking that this would be another Simms/Applewhite debacle.

Through Summer voluntary work-outs and Fall practices, McCoy takes clear lead, but season starts with idea that Snead would get PT.

McCoy takes off beyond coach's expectations. On pace to set FR QB TD record and mentioned (YES HE WAS) as possible 5th invitee to NYC for heisman award (not legit contender, but possibly getting enoguh 3rd, 4th, and 5th place votes to get invite). Snead's PT diminishes over season to occasional mop-up role.

McCoy gets hurt vs. KSU. Snead is ok, but not too good in game and we lose.

Snead feels like (and rightfully so) with 2 weeks of prep for A&M game, he might have shot to re-enter QB discussion.

He gets most of the reps as McCoy nurses his shoulder. McCoy gets start over Snead. McCoy is ineffective for most of game. Snead's only shot comes with less than 30 seconds left after McCoy is laid out and taken off field on stretcher.

Snead realizes he will never supplant McCoy and decides to leave for greener pastures.

Story on internet was he was vocal on his intent to transfer to his family and friends immediately after game.

Sneads transfers to Ole Miss.

PJYoung
AG
quote:
Somewhere around the third quarter he began to short hop passes and have passes tipped by receivers and defensive backs.

Just after the Harrington sack. What a coincidence.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.