Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

La Taqueria and Cow Hop

13,913 Views | 115 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by spiffus
Bison
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just reading this thread put my freshman 20 back on.
mroth
I remember going to Los Nortenos between duty stations in the mid 90's. Saw Lyle Lovett and JULIA ROBERTS there. Dang! I was so proud of Lyle L. She was beautiful and nice. My wife and I said Howdy on the way out.

Anyone remember a place called Mom's? It was an all you can eat family style place run out of an old lady's home in Bryan. Real Southern Home style comfort food.
RGV AG
AG
Mom's was really good. I only ate there like 3 times maybe, I think it closed my first year at A&M, I want to say we drove to it one day and it was locked up.

Really good food and cool atmosphere, I think it was $5 when I went and that was basically all you could eat of good stuff.
wessimo
AG
I miss Nipa Hot
jsdaltxag
Went into the Chicken last year and Freddy was still behind the counter cooking burgers. Remember him back in 1987 and obviously he had been there a while then as there was a Freddy's Burger Platter.
Bobaloo
Flying Tomato...Where I drank beer #1. Several million since then. I ate breakfast at La Taqueria almost every day for a couple of years.
Burnsey
AG
lataqueria said:

A La Taq employee told me that they closed because Taco Cabana put them out of business.

That's like saying Gal Gadot should give up acting because all the good roles go to Rosie O'Donnell.

I worked there for two years. I know that's not what happened. Simply said, the restaurant operated with a thin profit margin. Restaurants like Cafe Eccel, same owners, were much more profitable by comparison. Despite it popularity, the owners believed LaTaq was not worth the effort, so they sadly changed the menu and opened Planetary Grub and Organic Juice Bar. It was a dud. Ags just didn't want soy food and an Austin menu. About four months later, the owners tried a reboot with a more upscale experience with Rosalie Pasta. Rosalie's had some very good food, but it was a flawed premise - namely the only Italian food college kids want is pizza, and Double Dave's had that Northgate space locked down. For all they had right with Cafe Eccel and The Deluxe, they simply went away from the market with that location.

I mourn the loss of LaTaq's veggie taco and I'm not a vegetarian. Their breakfast burrito is still the best. The place was just great. Not to mention the coworkers were a hell of a lot of fun. Great place, great times.
cr
First fajitas I ever ate were from La Taq. Man they were so good. Sherrill used to eat there.
ski-man
AG
Also always liked the chicken fried steak burger w/ country gravy on it at the Cow Hop.
Let's go ski-man!
cowenlaw
AG
ski-man said:

Also always liked the chicken fried steak burger w/ country gravy on it at the Cow Hop.
That chicken fried steak sandwich was a great hangover cure.
spiffus
AG
Burnsey said:

lataqueria said:

A La Taq employee told me that they closed because Taco Cabana put them out of business.

That's like saying Gal Gadot should give up acting because all the good roles go to Rosie O'Donnell.

I worked there for two years. I know that's not what happened. Simply said, the restaurant operated with a thin profit margin. Restaurants like Cafe Eccel, same owners, were much more profitable by comparison. Despite it popularity, the owners believed LaTaq was not worth the effort, so they sadly changed the menu and opened Planetary Grub and Organic Juice Bar. It was a dud. Ags just didn't want soy food and an Austin menu. About four months later, the owners tried a reboot with a more upscale experience with Rosalie Pasta. Rosalie's had some very good food, but it was a flawed premise - namely the only Italian food college kids want is pizza, and Double Dave's had that Northgate space locked down. For all they had right with Cafe Eccel and The Deluxe, they simply went away from the market with that location.

I mourn the loss of LaTaq's veggie taco and I'm not a vegetarian. Their breakfast burrito is still the best. The place was just great. Not to mention the coworkers were a hell of a lot of fun. Great place, great times.
La Taqueria was one of my favorite hangouts. Good, inexpensive food, with great salsa. Too bad they decided to go the Austin route with the place.

I still have a green La Taqueria shirt around my house somewhere. Good times.
spiffus
AG
RGV AG said:

NY A said:

Where was Dos Hermanos? I used to eat at a place on Highway 30 past the bypass but I can't remember the name.
Dos Hermanos was in downtown Bryan, about 2 store fronts up the street from Los Nortenos. I much preferred Hermanos to Los Norts, food was more real and their tortillas were much better, same on the Menudo. Supposedly the guy that owned Dos Hermanos was the original owner of Los Norts (white guy named Chuck I believe), but he had leased the restaurant out for a few years when he dealt with something out of town. When the lease was up there was a dispute and wasn't able to keep the name so he renamed it Dos Hermanos and the tenant took the name and opened Los Norts a few spaces away.

Hermanos was like my extended family, one of the few places I had credit in BCS. They used to have a semester ending party for all the seniors that they knew were leaving. I went to a couple of those. I frequented them quite a bit after graduation, whenever I could. Then life got complicated and I lost touch with them and sadly it closed.
Dos Hermanos was miles above Los Norteos, IMHO. I agree that their food was more authentic, tastier, and I just liked the whole vibe of the place over Los Norteos. I got the impression that Los Norteos was the "hep" place to be, which didn't appeal to me much.

And speaking of downtown Bryan restaurants, does anyone else remember Gina's Taqueria?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.