Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

La Taqueria and Cow Hop

13,914 Views | 115 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by spiffus
boeving
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
La Taqueria and Cow Hop were both greatness!

I spent many a Sunday afternoon eating a cowpie and fries.
Twelfthman99
AG
I saw Cory Morrow at the Cow Hop with like four other people. Nobody knew who he was.
boeving
AG
Sorry... I meant to add that post as a reply but inadvertently added it as a new thread. sorry.
I bleed maroon
AG
The Flying Tomato left them both in the dust.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
There was also Denim and Diamonds
BMX Bandit
i went to someplace called "Charlie's Under the Water Tower" once. Once was enough.
walton91
The Cow Hop was pure greatness. You gotta love a place that would yell at you over the intercom if you didn't pickup your food right away. I had a buddy who worked there. I remember walking around to refill my tea and would look in the kitchen to see him drenched in sweat standing next to the grill with flames shooting about six feet into the air from all the grease in the burgers.
Tabasco
AG
La Taqueria and Cow Hop, my two favorites. I was so bummed when the hop closed. When did La Taq close? I remember seeing Sherrill in there.

Big Cat `93
AG
I miss cow pies.
Black Coffee
AG
Gravy with the rench fries at Cow Hop was awesome. La Taq was great too.
zfly60
Is the Longhorn Tavern still open at the corner of Texas Ave and old Hwy 21? I seem to remember that place was the shizznit. How about Los Nortenos?
4stringAg
AG
Wasn't La Taq replaced by Cafe Excell? Or was Cafe Excell right next to it? I can't remember. Migas were pretty good at La Taq.

I've always enjoyed the "Fly" (Chicken Fried Steak sandwich) at Cow Hop. A hell of a damn deal too. Something like $3 for a big ass sandwich, fries and a drink.
jeeptoy91
AG
Man I miss the CowHop. I went back to Aggieland after many years of being away and it was closed. I was bummed!

SPO_Rat_91
The Flying Tomato was good, but they were too expensive for the average student unless you used their PeopleBook coupon, which reminds me of the greatest people book coupon of all time which was, of course, the Cow Hop one, where you got the cowpie/fries and a drink for like $2.49, plus it had their logo with that totally sweet heifer bucking on it.

76Ag
AG
I can't let this thread go without mentioning Dead Solid Perfect. My old friend Chas worked there, in fact he may have been co-owner. Hamburgers like few have ever seen before or since. I did love the La Taqueria breakfast tacos and migas.

"I'd rather be a Texas Aggie"
85AustinAg
AG
La Taqueria was across from Cafe Excell. Same ownership I believe and at some point I think that ownership changed to Italian food but I don't remember the name.

La Taqueria, Deluxe Burger Bar, Cow Hop were my favorite Northgate eating spots in the early '80's!!!! That and a pint of blue bell from Charlie's.
82ARKAYBEE
I was there when the Cow Hop opened. Instant favorite of the students.
Rex Racer
AG
The Longhorn Tavern is still there and still under the same ownership.

Los Nortenos was still there as of a few months ago when I was downtown.

[This message has been edited by RacerX93 (edited 8/13/2004 1:33p).]
Aginoh
AG
Lyle Lovett was a regular at La Taq during my time in CS. Probably saw him there 4 times.

The hop...hadn't thought about that in a long long time. Thanks for some good memories
PlanoAggie
AG
The GLOBE ROCKED!!

BigLeroy
AG
Man that brings back some good memories. I remember walking over from Moore Hall to the walk up window at LaTaq and getting 6 torts, a side of beans, sour cream and hot sauce for like 1.75 ... chips thrown in for free. When I had some cash, I'd go for those greasy Migas in the a.m. with some of that strong coffee they made. The perfect prescription for too much Shiner at the 42 tables.

Oh yea, and don't forget the Global Beer Drinkers fraternity at Double Daves...
4stringAg
AG
Not on Northgate but is Pepe's or Archie's still open? Archie's had those 25 cent gut bomb burgers.
Bobaloo
I probably at breakfast at La Taq 500 times back in the day. It was always a game time decision between migas and fajita/eggs.
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
La Taq.

Migas.

Good queso too.

La Taqueria was the best.
jimmyp
AG
Mother's in Bryan was the BOMB! Family-style dining in an old house...all you can eat and super-sweet tea in Mason jars.
NumberOneAg
Los Nortenos and Longhorn Tavern are still alive and kicking! The breakfast and Los Nortenos can't be beat!

Number1Ag
powerbiscuit
Dos Hermanos
La Taq
Mama's on 29th

May all rest in peace.
Libertatum Defendimus
Death Burger from the Chicken Oil Company? That was hot.
DanTanna86
AG
What about that super narrow joint that used to be an arcad near the Hop? It was about 7 feet wide.
91AggieLawyer
AG
I think I only made it to the CowHop once. Apparantly, I missed out. But I was in LaTaq no less than 3 times a month. Cheap but good. Their ice tea was some of the best I've had.

Burger wise, does anyone remember the BBQ shack down on Texas right next to Discount Tires (don't know if DT is still there), sort of across the street from where Fuddruckers is now? I know it isn't there and hasn't been there in a while, but they had one of the best burgers I've ever eaten. Best fast food burger BY FAR and probably top 4 all time. I want to say it was 3C, but that doesn't sound right for some reason. Their BBQ was only average, if that.
Crocker
AG
1) Thai Taste
2) Chicken's Freddy special
3) Hebert's
rwtxag83
AG
Cow hop opened in fall of 79 by a guy named Al Scazzero from New York. He had gone to Cornell. His brother Tony was the coach of the Lacrosse team for many years. You could get a cowpie and fries for $1.30 when they opened. You could get a T-bone and fries for $3 bucks. On sunday nights when the on campus stuff was closed you could always count on a line out the door. Cheap, but good. Greasy little place that was always the same every time you went there. I worked there one semester.

La Taqueria was opened by Donnie Anz, who was Don Ganter's original partner from the Dixie Chicken. He also started the Deluxe Burger Bar (his 1st rest. on his own in CS), and cafe eccel. I don't know if he owns any of them anymore.

I remember when somebody put in an Ice Cream Bar in Charlie's grocery at northgate--instant hit for Blue Bell--had a line every night.

Other cool places at Northgate: Backstage restaurant, owned by the same guy who owned Fish Richard's Half Century House ( upscale place), A record store ( can't remember the name), a video arcade, Farmer's Market deli.

Dixie chicken used to be half of its present size. The other half of it (where the rattlers are now) was a mixed drink bar called Miranda's. They converted it to its present layout during the summer of '80. They added the grill in the back not much later.

I hope Don Ganter has in his will when he dies that somebody gets the Chicken who will keep that sucker going. It would be sad to see that go the way of the other former northgate places

Greater love hath no man than this...
55-99
AG
There's still a Flying Tomato up on Fry St. here in Denton - if you can stand the hippies...
Pelayo
AG
As you can tell, that was my favorite eats.

I usually ate a bird, substituted the fires for a baked potato for a dollar, and still ate a great meal for less than 5.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.