Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Post Spring CFP 12 Team Prediction

12,475 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ugly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
rootube said:

33 said:

My unpopular opinion: Should only be two teams. The BCS got it right (mostly).

But America is starved for entertainment and money drives everything.

The opinion is unpopular because it's wrong. Just wait till we have a a thrilling playoff. Nobody is going to say why don't we let a committee decide instead of the players.

Your answer falls into the second part of my post.

I prefer the days when we didn't take things so seriously and truly embraced the idea of student-athlete.
"So long as an opinion is strongly rooted in the feelings, it gains rather than loses in stability by having a preponderating weight of argument against it."

- John Stuart Mill, 1869
NewEra2023
AG
BMX Bandit said:

1.UGA (peach)
8.ND v 9.Michigan

4.KSU (fiesta)
5.PennState v 12.Memphis

3.FSU (sugar)
6.Oregon v 11.Alabama

2.tOSU (rose)
7.tu v 10.OleMiss

Pretty ideal format in my opinion. Keeps incentive to win regular season games too.

6-8 team format. At no point has there ever been more than 8 teams worthy of a Natty appearance.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
NewEra2023 said:

BMX Bandit said:

1.UGA (peach)
8.ND v 9.Michigan

4.KSU (fiesta)
5.PennState v 12.Memphis

3.FSU (sugar)
6.Oregon v 11.Alabama

2.tOSU (rose)
7.tu v 10.OleMiss

Pretty ideal format in my opinion. Keeps incentive to win regular season games too.

6-8 team format. At no point has there ever been more than 8 teams worthy of a Natty appearance.
There are rarely more than 3. In 2000 there were 4 with the third best team in OU winning the title, Washington and Miami were clearly the best two teams. Since then there have only been a handful of years when there were 3-5 elite teams. Off the top of my head (2005, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2022, 2023)
Fun discussion, history says there wont be many close games but history doesn't have the portal to really factor in.
TXAG 05
AG
VP at Pierce and Pierce said:

NewEra2023 said:

BMX Bandit said:

1.UGA (peach)
8.ND v 9.Michigan

4.KSU (fiesta)
5.PennState v 12.Memphis

3.FSU (sugar)
6.Oregon v 11.Alabama

2.tOSU (rose)
7.tu v 10.OleMiss

There are rarely more than 3. In 2000 there were 4 with the third best team in OU winning the title, Washington and Miami were clearly the best two teams. Since then there have only been a handful of years when there were 3-5 elite teams. Off the top of my head (2005, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2022, 2023)
Fun discussion, history says there wont be many close games but history doesn't have the portal to really factor in.

It seems like there is a little more parity the past couple years, but for the most part the "thrilling, meaningful" playoff games everyone keeps talking about, have been boring blowouts, even a lot of the title games have been over by the 1st quarter. You can add as many teams as you want to the playoff, but it isn't going to change anything, except making it a longer process to see who gets to get murdered by Bama/UGA/or whoever the top team is that year. Some teams are just a whole lot better than everyone else, and most have no business even thinking about a NC.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
I totally agree. I was vehemently against expansion until a few years ago when I stopped caring. With the portal, the depth at each school takes a hit so the likelihood of having that one super elite team decreases but the chances of having more teams in the really good to elite category increases. I do think this upcoming season is going to be the most chaos we have seen in the sport, mainly due to scheduling; entering conference championship weekend I think there are going to 14+ teams at 10-2 or better. Then it becomes about marketing/branding and who ESPN and the advertisers want along with a sprinkle of star power from players.
Panama Red
AG
I believe we will see continued manipulation of the rankings by the committee for matchup purposes. Final 12:

1-Ohio State
2-Georgia
3-Utah
4-FSU
5-Oregon
6-tu
7-Penn State
8-Alabama
9-Tennessee
10-Miami
11-Okahoma State
12-Liberty
Iowaggie
AG
3 months later bump with the opportunity to revise one's prediction
Ugly
AG
Ugly said:

My only bet is that there will be more SEC/B1G teams in the preseason projections than in the CFP. My guess is that there are a lot of CFP voters that will have trouble putting a 9-3 team in over a 11-1 team even if the 9-3 team is better.
I'll stand by my prediction. If you use the AP poll as the official preseason projection list, it would predict 8 SEC/B1G teams, 3 more required conference champions from other conferences, and Notre Dame. I remain confident that less than 8 total SEC/B1G teams make the final set of 12 teams.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.