Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

My Dad… VERY humble brag…

7,868 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by agneck
maroonthrunthru
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Got to take my 97 year old Dad (A&M Class of 1950) to the Dallas Coaches Night… He has a hard time walking, but wanted to be there… Like a lot of his generation, he's the epitome of tough Ol' Army…

He was never never featured in a beer ad, but should have been, because he truly is a REAL American Hero in my eyes…

Grew up in The Great Depression on a hard-scrabble farm in a Central Texas town that essentially doesn't exist any more…Served in WWII, during the invasion of Okinawa…

After WWII, attended Texas Tech for 2 years, but then (according to him) "wised-up" and transferred to A&M…

Devoted his life to his family, especially his two sons…
Tough as nails, yet generous to a fault…Would never accept anything from us except our best, yet was always incredibly kind to us when we screwed up - as all kids constantly do… The definition of a great father…

Began indoctrinating my brother and me into all things Aggie beginning before first grade… Taught us "The Spirit of Aggieland" before we knew what "prowess bold" even meant..

Convinced my Mom it was ok for us to say "Sounds like HELL" while singing the War Hymn.. But only then…

Never a wealthy man, but contributed all he could to A&M… Paid for his boys to go to A&M…. Let us know we could go to college anywhere we wanted, as long as it was in College Station…

Served on the Association of Former Students Board of Directors..

Has taught 3 generations of family Aggies to love the University like he did… Fourth generation on the way…

He's a regular on TexAgs (TK50)….Spends an hour or so daily catching up on how things are going with all the teams and recruiting…Say "Howdy" to him if you ever get a chance…

Had a recent significant upheaval in his life…
Had to clear all of his favorite beer - Bud Light - out of his fridge and is having a bit of a tussle adapting to a new beer… He still makes a KILLER margarita…

Here's to you, Dad… From a grateful son…
This Sam Adams Boston Lager is for YOU !!

Beat the ever livin', ever lovin', HELL outta tu !!!
AG
The greatest generation.

Guys like your Dad are few and far between these days.

Grateful for all he and the others like him did for us.

Here's to you, TK50. God bless you, Sir.

Gig'em.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Is your dad the oldest living member of the class of 1950?
maroonthrunthru
Possibly… Had he not been in the war, he would have been an earlier class… However, without the GI Bill, he probably would not have been able to go to college…
aggie-1997
AG
Thanks for sharing. I absolutely love reading these stories about Ags that love this University. Your dad sounds like one of the finest.

Will be raising a beer in his honor and as a sign of good luck on him finding his next brand.

12thMan9
AG
Get that man a Shiner!

And, as a margarita connoisseur, I would like to know if his recipe is as good as mine.
Ronnie '88
maroonthrunthru
Better… LOTS of Herradura is the key ingredient..
Matsui
SD Scott
Love this!
TexasStone
Tailgate88
AG
Tell him Gig 'em and try some Yuengling Flight!
Robert L. Peters
This is a great post, man.
What you say, Paper Champion? I'm gonna beat you like a dog, a dog, you hear me!
FriscoAggieFan
AG
Never met him and probably never will. But your Dads a badass. Thanks for sharing
Texagsubscriber
Will drink a bud light tonight in his honor.
NATTY OR BUST. BUST IT IS.

GIVE ME NATTY, OR GIVE ME BAS!!!
S.A. Aggie
AG
Great post OP!
3Gen80Ag
AG
Thanks for sharing and tell your Dad we are proud of him and Gig'em!
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Great story. Give 'em hell TK50!
sonnysixkiller
AG
Good story need more of this and less negativity. Your fortunate to have such a great man as a father.
SourLakeAg
Awesome stuff. He sounds a lot like my late grandfather, who was class of '55.
Houstonag
sharpdressedman
Howdy and Gig'em, TK50. Thank you for being you!
William_C_G
AG
What an Aggie and what a man!
Gunny456
AG
Great story. Love him every day and be glad you still have him. Every day is a blessing. If my dad was still alive he would be 101. Lost him in 1992. Similar story. He was orphaned at 13 and lied about his age to get into the 5th Cavalry at Ft. Clark Texas in 1937...it was still the true horse CAV then. Got out in 1941 just in time to re -enlist in the Army Air Corp and was in for the duration ofWWII. Crew cheif in a B-25 in Guam and New Guinea. Then became sheriff of a large city in Texas for 38 years.
Only had a third grade education but loved Texas A&M and hated Texas. (Said the only thing that school did was create Democrats!)

His desire was for me to attend TAM and have an education he never had. He attended every game he could and watched or listened to every game if he could not attend.

He loved Parsons and would always go hang out with the guys pre game.

I have spent my whole life trying to live up to what he was to me........can't do it.

Thanks for sharing your story sir! Gig Em to you and your dad!
Propane & Accessories
AG
What unit was he with on Okinawa? My grandfather served with the 811th Tank Destroyer Battalion, was shelled on December 16th at the start of the battle of the Bulge. He said he had time to either grab his Carbine from his jeep or his duffle bag, in his duffle bag he had a picture of and signed by Betty Grable. Naturally he picked his carbine.
maroonthrunthru
He served on the US Illinois Aircraft carrier…
The Block I…

He claims he slept a lot and drank a lot of coffee…

I know better…

AG
maroonthrunthru said:

He served on the US Illinois Aircraft carrier…
The Block I…

He claims he slept a lot and drank a lot of coffee…

I know better…

My wife's grandfather fought at Mindanao and other fun places in the south Pacific. Hand to hand combat and was in the entire stretch of WWII.

Won a bronze star (V) for some heroic *****

But those guys never want to talk about it. They all just blow it off casually like they didn't really do anything.

That generation is the reason this country became the greatest country in the world.
Shoefly!
AG
FriscoAggieFan said:

Never met him and probably never will. But your Dads a badass. Thanks for sharing

Yes he is, Okinawa was no stroll on the beach!
zooguy96
Your dad is red ass. Unfortunately, my dad left us too early 20 years ago. He used to joke that he sent all 5 of us to A&M with his $$ - although it was the other way around - I was sending my parents most of my loan money so they could pay the bills while I worked full time.
maroonthrunthru
Dad and I talked about how America grew into the economic powerhouse after WWII…

Had nothing to do with "The Greatest Generation", although they WERE great…

Had more to do with the US being the only industrialized nation that wasn't BOMBED the Eff out…

We became the mfg center for the world..
NoahAg
Can he play linebacker?
Athanasius
AG
God bless TK50!
northeastag
AG
I was reading your Dad's story, OP. And I had to stop. There must be a lot of dust in here, or my wife is cutting up onions.

Great stuff.
Dr. Mephisto
AG
maroonthrunthru said:

Got to take my 97 year old Dad (A&M Class of 1950) to the Dallas Coaches Night… He has a hard time walking, but wanted to be there… Like a lot of his generation, he's the epitome of tough Ol' Army…

He was never never featured in a beer ad, but should have been, because he truly is a REAL American Hero in my eyes…

Grew up in The Great Depression on a hard-scrabble farm in a Central Texas town that essentially doesn't exist any more…Served in WWII, during the invasion of Okinawa…

After WWII, attended Texas Tech for 2 years, but then (according to him) "wised-up" and transferred to A&M…

Devoted his life to his family, especially his two sons…
Tough as nails, yet generous to a fault…Would never accept anything from us except our best, yet was always incredibly kind to us when we screwed up - as all kids constantly do… The definition of a great father…

Began indoctrinating my brother and me into all things Aggie beginning before first grade… Taught us "The Spirit of Aggieland" before we knew what "prowess bold" even meant..

Convinced my Mom it was ok for us to say "Sounds like HELL" while singing the War Hymn.. But only then…

Never a wealthy man, but contributed all he could to A&M… Paid for his boys to go to A&M…. Let us know we could go to college anywhere we wanted, as long as it was in College Station…

Served on the Association of Former Students Board of Directors..

Has taught 3 generations of family Aggies to love the University like he did… Fourth generation on the way…

He's a regular on TexAgs (TK50)….Spends an hour or so daily catching up on how things are going with all the teams and recruiting…Say "Howdy" to him if you ever get a chance…

Had a recent significant upheaval in his life…
Had to clear all of his favorite beer - Bud Light - out of his fridge and is having a bit of a tussle adapting to a new beer… He still makes a KILLER margarita…

Here's to you, Dad… From a grateful son…
This Sam Adams Boston Lager is for YOU !!

Beat the ever livin', ever lovin', HELL outta tu !!!

It's always great to know you see your dad as a hero.

Too many alive that can never claim that.

We need more strong and good dads.

Cheers to good Dads!
rab79
AG
no need to be humble about your dad because it ain't bragging when it is true!
Sims
AG
As our culture continues to tear down the traditional ethos of manhood, I love reading about great examples of good men. Thank you for sharing!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.