Story Poster
Texas A&M Football Recruiting

2024 Tupelo (MS) linebacker Tristan Jernigan commits to Texas A&M

May 1, 2023

The Aggies have gone into Mississippi for the second time in the 2024 recruiting class to pull in another one of the Magnolia State’s top players, and yes, he can play linebacker.

After a big push in the last couple of weeks from defensive coordinator D.J. Durkin, the 6-foot-2, 220-pound playmaker Tristan Jernigan‍ out of Tupelo High School announced his verbal commitment to Texas A&M on social media today.

He becomes the fifth commitment of this cycle for the Maroon & White, and he chose the Aggies over offers from Florida State, Georgia, Auburn, Ole Miss and many others.

On tape, it’s clear Jernigan likes to play a physical brand of football from sideline to sideline. He combines that nasty streak with a propensity for being around the football and creating/grabbing turnovers. Jernigan looks comfortable playing downhill in the run game as well as in space when dropping into pass coverage. He continuously demonstrates a willingness to run to the football from all over the field.

Stay tuned, as we’ll have more coverage shortly for our Premium subscribers.

Discussion from...

2024 Tupelo (MS) linebacker Tristan Jernigan commits to Texas A&M

11,628 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by 12thmanfootball
Keith70Chevelle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Welcome young man
Goodest Poster
TBoneAg
Can he play LB?
AggieBoiler
Welcome to Aggieland!!
Cojack
Great news!
sharpdressedman
Great news! Welcome to Aggieland.

EF spelling
cageybee77
lagoag
Whoop
El Capitan
AG
I see that he's also a skier.
StinkyPinky
AG
Show us those ankles. Welcome to Aggieland. Glad you will be playing here. Become a star.
TexasAGGIEinAR
TBoneAg said:

Can he play LB?

BOOOOO this tired a** joke
AgOutsideAustin
AG
TexasAGGIEinAR said:

TBoneAg said:

Can he play LB?

BOOOOO this tired a** joke

Go drink your bud light.

Just kidding.
Ag in ATL
AG
Wouldn't be so bad except Brauny said, "and yes he can play linebacker".
infinity ag
Our 2024 recruitiung is still in the tank.
A bunch of 3*s and a couple 4*s.
LatinAggie1997
P.U.T.U
AG
infinity ag said:

Better than not getting any LBs after we fail to get the high 5 star guys
vander54
S
infinity ag said:

It's not in the tank. Our average stars is still good but we do need to add some more bodies
World's worst proofreader
AWP 97
AG
vander54 said:

infinity ag said:

It's not in the tank. Our average stars is still good but we do need to add some more bodies

Our average stars being good is a relative term. Our current average stars number would probably finish ranked 12-15 at the end of the season. I guess technically that could be considered "good" but that won't get you anywhere close to competing for national championships and probably not winning the West. I'm not sure if we still have aspirations for winning a national title but this type of recruiting won't do it.

For clarification, my opinion is not pointed at this particular recruit. It is more about the idea that we just need more bodies. If you want to win a national title, you better get more bodies that are 4 and 5 star recruits. A few 3 star recruits that you really like are fine but you probably aren't winning at the highest level by recruiting a majority of them.

IMO, we are so far behind our top competitors in conference that it's not even funny and so many of you still think that Jimbo and this coaching staff are the smartest guys in the room.

I just had to go through this watching the Cowboys draft almost all of their players a round too early. The Jones family thinks they're the smartest people in football. Is it possible that I'm actually dead and watching these two football teams means that I'm in Hell?
beerad12man
AG
It has nothing to do with thinking our coaches are the smartest guys in the room.

It has everything to do with understanding reality. Reality is, you simply aren't going to recruit on Georgia or Bama's level coming of 8-4 and 5-7 years 4/5. Jimbo dug a bit of a hole, and there's really only one way out. We all realize we need to win games, and it needs to happen immediately to get back to national title recruiting levels.

That said, there's a wide gap between Alabama level recruiting and "in the tank". This happens every year with Jimbo. We also start slow, people freak out, and we close strong. Even 2022 started slow, albeit clearly had more high end options than we do now. In 2022, we picked up 15 of our 30 HS commits from November/December on. In 2023, as "bad" as you make it seem, it was still top 10 in terms of quality(9th average stars). Which again, coming off 5-7, I'm not sure why or how people think it can realistically be better? The issue with 2023 was more in quantity, which is why we need to add 3-4 more transfers since we are low on numbers.

For the time being, we need to recruit quality players. Jernigan is absolutely one of those guys, and even in 2022 would be a take. We need to set ourselves up with 12-14 commits by the season, so that if we do win on the field, we can close out an elite level class. Not so that we are scrambling trying to fill 20 spots left, but a good 12-13 spots instead.

There are still enough guys looking our way that if we do win, we can land them. We know fisher is a closer. If we don't win, well aren't winning much in the future anyways, and Fisher will be gone soon enough.

vander54
S
AWP 97 said:

vander54 said:

infinity ag said:

Our average stars being good is a relative term. Our current average stars number would probably finish ranked 12-15 at the end of the season. I guess technically that could be considered "good" but that won't get you anywhere close to competing for national championships and probably not winning the West. I'm not sure if we still have aspirations for winning a national title but this type of recruiting won't do it.

For clarification, my opinion is not pointed at this particular recruit. It is more about the idea that we just need more bodies. If you want to win a national title, you better get more bodies that are 4 and 5 star recruits. A few 3 star recruits that you really like are fine but you probably aren't winning at the highest level by recruiting a majority of them.

IMO, we are so far behind our top competitors in conference that it's not even funny and so many of you still think that Jimbo and this coaching staff are the smartest guys in the room.

I just had to go through this watching the Cowboys draft almost all of their players a round too early. The Jones family thinks they're the smartest people in football. Is it possible that I'm actually dead and watching these two football teams means that I'm in Hell?

We really aren't that behind. Our team talent should still be top 4 in the SEC and we currently have one of the smallest class in the SEC. We are currently 6th best start rating in the SEC but there are a couple schools like Auburn and South Carolina ahead of us with inflated star ratings (at least based on their historical ratings).

Also I don't mean just adding anyone to our class I mean we need more commits before saying our class is tanking. If we close out like Fisher usually does we will end up with a star rati g over 91 and 25+ recruits. That will easily get us in the top 10 if not top 5.
beerad12man
AG
As for the cowboys, many people graded it out high. There were mixed reviews for sure, but there's plenty of reason to be excited about that draft. 2 of the best run stoppers in the draft. The DT was going 29 if we didn't take him when we did.

vander54
S
beerad12man said:

As for the cowboys, many people graded it out high. There were mixed reviews for sure, but there's plenty of reason to be excited about that draft. 2 of the best run stoppers in the draft. The DT was going 29 if we didn't take him when we did.

Yep most grades I've seen on the Cowboys draft have them doing a solid job.
Ag in ATL
AG
it's interesting to me that we seem to be in early for a change on a lot of 2025 talent. It's obviously too late to get in early on 2024 recruits but hopefully Jimbo will continue his closing magic.

Mac III was one of the forerunners in getting in early and made a lot of hay with it. Most caught up after a while but now it's even earlier. in the cycle. Early offers can be a real influence.

I don't know if there are any stats on kids ultimately ending up going with the first offer. But it's clear it's important from an anecdotal perspective. Our recent roundball commit went with his first (D1) offer, us!

This from the Andre Mills commit article:

"It should be noted that Texas A&M was the first Division I program to offer Mills back in July 2021 before his sophomore season"
infinity ag
vander54 said:

infinity ag said:

Yes you are right, avg is good. But we need a few 5* players and that's not happened yet.
TAM85
Welcome and gig 'em!!
12thmanfootball
AG
From my hometown.........welcome to Aggieland!!!

Callsign/Nickname: The Explosive Elvis!?!?!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.