Story Poster
Texas A&M Football Recruiting

2024 Oak Grove (MS) quarterback AJ Maddox commits to Texas A&M

February 6, 2023

Quarterback is always a cornerstone of a recruiting class, and Texas A&M secured one of the top 2024 signal callers in the Southeast on Monday as Hattiesburg (MS) Oak Grove standout AJ Maddox‍ announced his college decision.

The 6-foot-2, 175-pounder received his offer from Texas A&M a week ago, and Jimbo Fisher and Bobby Petrino quickly made him a top target.

Maddox was on the Aggies' radar well before his offer arrived. He visited Aggieland for the Florida game this past fall, and the 12th Man was quick to make an impression. When the opportunity to learn, grow and work under Fisher and Petrino arrived, he wasted little time making his choice.

As a junior, Maddox completed 67 percent of his passes, threw for over 2,500 yards, 25 touchdowns and only three interceptions. He also rushed for 432 yards and prides himself on his ability to improvise when the play breaks down.

He becomes Texas A&M’s fourth commitment of the 2024 recruiting class and joins Milton (GA) wideout Debron Gatling‍ as another offensive skill player in the class.

Maddox is regarded as one of the top prospects in Mississippi, and he is also a standout in basketball and baseball. In addition to his top three schools — Texas A&M, Penn State and Alabama — Maddox held offers from Akron, Appalachian State, Georgia State, Pitt, Tulane, UNLV, Vanderbilt and Western Michigan.

We’ll have more soon for our TexAgs Premium subscribers.

More Coverage

Discussion from...

2024 Oak Grove (MS) quarterback AJ Maddox commits to Texas A&M

23,200 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TX_Aggie37
CrottyKid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nice!
Aggie1188
Fwiw…. rated 85, 3-star.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
Aggie1188 said:

Fwiw…. rated 85, 3-star.

tape is significantly better than that, younger brother class of 2025 big stud defensive lineman. 2 for 1?
Chris Knight
AG
Based on stats and film looks like at least a 4 star.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Detmersdislocatedshoulder said:

Aggie1188 said:

Fwiw…. rated 85, 3-star.

tape is significantly better than that, younger brother class of 2025 big stud defensive lineman. 2 for 1?

I hope so because normally this board would be looking at that offer list and…….
mitchdpm
AG
I member another 3 star QB…member?
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Love offering high completion % kids. Too many of our targets lately are sub 60% guys.
Canyon99
AgOutsideAustin said:

Aggie1188 said:

Fwiw…. rated 85, 3-star.

I hope so because normally this board would be looking at that offer list and…….

Alabama and Penn St? Unless I'm missing something, they aren't slouches.
Meximan
Aggie1188 said:

Fwiw…. rated 85, 3-star.
Only three interceptions. I'll take it, means he makes smart decisions and/or is very accurate.
nu awlins ag
AG
Aggie1188 said:

Fwiw…. rated 85, 3-star.

For what it's worth, you're an idiot.
AgOutsideAustin said:

Aggie1188 said:

Fwiw…. rated 85, 3-star.

watch his tape. he has a live arm, decent mechanics, and is a good athlete. gets up field quickly. plays three sports in high school so he hasn't peaked. i think by end of senior year this kid will have moved up higher in the rankings.

and his brother is a stud look at his offer list. you don't think this helps ags snag a potential 4-5 star defensive lineman in 2025 class.
AgOutsideAustin
AG

AgOutsideAustin said:

Aggie1188 said:

Fwiw…. rated 85, 3-star.

watch his tape. he has a live arm, decent mechanics, and is a good athlete. gets up field quickly. plays three sports in high school so he hasn't peaked. i think by end of senior year this kid will have moved up higher in the rankings.

and his brother is a stud look at his offer list. you don't think this helps ags snag a potential 4-5 star defensive lineman in 2025 class.

Hey I'm all for the coaches getting kids they want especially if you land his brother but everybody here used to freak out if the offer list would include Tulane. Western Michigan, Akron, and Georgia State and UNLV.
SBDavis87
AG
AgOutsideAustin said:

AgOutsideAustin said:

Aggie1188 said:

Fwiw…. rated 85, 3-star.

Hey I'm all for the coaches getting kids they want especially if you land his brother but everybody here used to freak out if the offer list would include Tulane. Western Michigan, Akron, and Georgia State and UNLV.
Texags logic:

If the offer list includes Appalachian State he or she is a must have.

Actually, we run this state - we should be thankful because this is the lone star state so 3X is great! (poet and didn't know it).
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Was he going to play QB at Bama or Penn state is the real question, or safety.......
Eike Mlko
We will see. Looks like a good kid
Maroon Flash
AG
Brett Favre came from the same area. Was not even a 3 star. This young man looks like a very good Qb. Boom!
Maroon Flash
Aggie1188
Canyon99 said:

AgOutsideAustin said:

Aggie1188 said:

Fwiw…. rated 85, 3-star.

Arrakis ecologist said:

Was he going to play QB at Bama or Penn state is the real question, or safety.......
Alabama already has an elite 2024 QB in this class, and he's a 5-star.
yell_on_6th st
AG
Tommy Maddux's boy?
_lefraud_
AG
I must have missed the Florida game last Fall, was it televised?
infinity ag
Not sure how he is as a player, but he is a 3 star. A&M has moved out of 3 star players and we focus on 4 or 5 stars. At least we should. So not sure how much playing time Maddox will get. Good luck.
infinity ag
Maroon Flash said:

Brett Favre came from the same area. Was not even a 3 star. This young man looks like a very good Qb. Boom!

Take it easy, we always say this when anyone signs with us. Then reality hits.
Remember Calzada and King?
Sq 17
I realize all these kids are "mercenaries" and they have very little allegiance and loyalty to the schools they sign with

That being said I would still rather have a Texas kid who has some affinity for the Ags. A kid that grew up with in 150 miles or maybe has some relatives that attended or maybe knows some older kids from his Highschool that came here.

I don't really care about the younger brother . I think that recruiting angle ended when NIL became prevalent.

A highly rated TX QB could serve as a catalyst to bring some other highly rated TX players to the program. I just don't see a Hattiesburg Kid having the same impact.

Lastly Welcome to Aggieland AJ I am Certain you are an outstanding young man and a hell of a baller to have earned an Offer from Jimbo

Please don't take it personally that I'd prefer Jimbo sign an in state prospect
Fanatic15...Drs2B!
Take THAT App State!!!
AgOutsideAustin said:

AgOutsideAustin said:

Aggie1188 said:

Fwiw…. rated 85, 3-star.

is it possible we got in on this kid before everyone in college football started offering? that happens from time to time as well. kid did have offers from penn st bama and us and my guess ks over the next month he will probably pick up another 20 offers. so a month from now if he has offers that also include ou,auburn, texas, lsu, etc does that make him a better player or is he the same player that we identified instead of chasing after the fact ?
Matsui
Houstonag
AG
The tape looks good. Accurate and makes good decisions. Who rated any of these guys? Did they ever play or coach. I did but would not call myself qualified to rate.
bigfoot10s
AG
The Zoo never disappoints in worrying about stars.

The tape is good, looks like a real athlete. Let him get on campus and compete, who cares about the stars
NoahAg
If Bama wants him so do I.
Let's go, Brandon!
TAM85
Welcome and gig 'em!!
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
This kid is ranked almost exactly where Austin Novosad was in February of his JR year (417 vs 431) and then people *****ed that we should have offered him earlier when he started blowing up.

You can't "offer kids early" if you're waiting until they blow up. Coaches clearly like him enough to offer him way ahead of time, which is not something they've done often of late, so I assume they see something they like. If you're going to take a project, one with a really high completion % and a very solid TD/INT ratio is a really good place to start...I much prefer that to a kid with elite physical tools who somehow only completes 52% of his passes for something like 16/9.
P.U.T.U
AG
He has a good tape and next time they rate him he will be a 4 star. Athlete that has a 60%+ completion rate, didn't see many passes in the 10-20 yard range so hopefully he is not like King and does not have the ability to hit anyone in that range.

Plus he is probably a package deal with his little brother who is a 4 star DL.
TexasAGGIEinAR
infinity ag said:

Not sure how he is as a player, but he is a 3 star. A&M has moved out of 3 star players and we focus on 4 or 5 stars. At least we should. So not sure how much playing time Maddox will get. Good luck.

Haynes King was a 4/5 star. Eli Stowers was a 4 star. Good thing we focused on 4 & 5 stars. Did us a LOT of good. Manziel was a 3*. Mike Evans was a 3*. Von Miller was a 3*. The stupidity of people on here never ceases to amaze me. 4/5* athletes or they're no good! We're too good for anything less!
AG
TexasAGGIEinAR said:

infinity ag said:

Haynes King was a 4/5 star. Eli Stowers was a 4 star. Good thing we focused on 4 & 5 stars. Did us a LOT of good. Manziel was a 3*. Mike Evans was a 3*. Von Miller was a 3*. The stupidity of people on here never ceases to amaze me. 4/5* athletes or they're no good! We're too good for anything less!

JJ Watt was an unrecruited walk on. We should stop recruiting kids 3* and above.
whatthehey78
AG
Great pick up!!!
Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne, and myself founded empires; but upon what foundation did we rest the creations of our genius? Upon force! But Jesus Christ founded His upon love; and at this hour millions of men would die for Him. - Napoleon Bonaparte
AWP 97
AG
Canyon99 said:

AgOutsideAustin said:

Aggie1188 said:

Fwiw…. rated 85, 3-star.

Alabama took two QBs in 2023 and has a verbal commitment from the #2 QB in 2024. There is almost no way that his Alabama offer was committable.

If A&M takes two QBs this cycle or we really just want the DL brother, then this is fine. If neither of those things happen, then this is a reach. It may work out, but like I said with Reed, this is no way to sustain success. Fisher has shown almost zero ability to recruit and develop QBs. The one guy that we think might work is the one five star he recruited. That is no coincidence.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.