Story Poster
Photo by Jamie Maury, TexAgs
Texas A&M Football

Wide receiver Ainias Smith announces his return to Texas A&M for 2023

February 2, 2023

Sub-zero chills are returning to Aggieland.

On Thursday, senior wide receiver Ainias Smith announced that he will return to Texas A&M for the 2023 season via Instagram. Smith is eligible for a “super senior” season next fall because the pandemic-affected 2020 season does not count against player eligibility.

The versatile Smith, who has also played running back and returned punts at A&M, has hauled in 127 receptions for 1,162 yards and 17 touchdowns in his career. He currently ranks 10th on A&M’s all-time list for receptions, 11th for receiving yardage and is tied for seventh with Mike Evans for receiving touchdowns.

Smith has also rushed 67 times for 384 yards and four touchdowns in addition to returning 62 punts for 221 yards, including a touchdown return vs. South Carolina in 2021.

Originally a three-star prospect from Fort Bend Dulles High School, Smith arrived at Texas A&M in 2019 and caught 16 passes for 190 yards as a true freshman. That fall, Smith shifted to running back for the Texas Bowl, rushing seven times for 54 yards in A&M’s 24-21 victory over Oklahoma State.

Smith opened the 2020 COVID-19-shortened season as a running back but shifted to receiving following the emergence of Isaiah Spiller. That season, Smith caught 43 passes for 564 yards and six touchdowns, including a six-catch, 125-yard showing in A&M’s Orange Bowl victory.

As a junior in 2021, Smith started all 12 games and served as a team captain, leading the Aggies with 47 receptions and six touchdown grabs. A 95-yard punt return in a win vs. South Carolina earned him SEC Special Teams Player of the Week honors.

Last fall, Smith started the first four games before suffering a season-ending leg injury vs. Arkansas. Prior to the injury, Smith reeled in 15 grabs for 291 yards and two touchdowns.

His return impacts Texas A&M’s offense far beyond the stat sheet, bringing much-needed experience and leadership to a position group that has lost a number of contributors to the transfer portal. Alongside returners Evan Stewart, Muhsin Muhammad III and Noah Thomas, Smith’s return elevates what figures to be a very talented group of pass catchers for Jimbo Fisher and Bobby Petrino.

Discussion from...

Wide receiver Ainias Smith announces his return to Texas A&M for 2023

14,698 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Quantum Entanglement
SECTAMU#1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Awesome!
Action86
Caesar4
Ag1985
More of this please. We need our upperclassmen to stay.
agcrock2005
TAM85
Whoop!!
TAMU74
AG
Smart decision. Glad to hear this.
Wishing you a very successful "Super " senior season in hopes for a very high NFL draft.
lagoag
Hell yeah, whoop.
TxAg76
AG
Great news, but 7 needs to stay on the field too
tbone421998
AG
Richard,

You might want to check your punt return yards especially if you take away the 95 punt return TD. That leaves him with an average of only 2.07 yards per return. Sounds way to low for Mr. Smith.
HallaronAg88
AG
Whoop!
Proud member of the Class of '88. Gig'em!
Matsui
AG
BOOM
newbie11
Awesome. Wise decision too.
TX AG 88
An L of an Ag
AG
WHOOP!!! Best news I've heard all week!
LatinAggie1997
Maroon Flash
AG
Seems like a win win! Awesome news and I expect he boosts his draft position big time!

BTW subzero is a badass!
Maroon Flash
woodyhayes
His experience, leadership, and added comfort for C.W. will pay dividends. And, he just a 3 star. Imagine that.
sharpdressedman
Good decision and great news! He is a highly talented football warrior, and I hope his additional experience and opportunity to display his talent results in a very rewarding draft selection.
agent-maroon
Ag in ATL
AG
I'd hate to be a DB with sub-zero headed my way looking like he looks in the video. A perpetually warm place gonna freeze over this fall and I'm looking forward to the victory tour!
gocobra
AG
Great news Ainias. You made this old grumpy Ag smile. Here's to a great 2023 season and a high draft pick in 2024. Gig'em!

Quantum Entanglement
Absolutely great news! I am a huge fan of his!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.