Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Purdy Saban

9,363 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Scotty Appleton
txaggieacct85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://athlonsports.com/nfl/brock-purdy-reveals-what-nick-saban-told-him-when-he-visited-alabama
MarathonAg12
Oh wow
rootube
AG
In Saban's defense they did OK without him. The good news is we can talk about this snub and stop obsessing over Brees getting passed over by A&M.
GrandStand93
Maybe. Purdy's been on a good run, but he isn't close to Brees yet.
Ag Tag
Was Saban being forthright at the time, and being realistic with him, or was he being an arsewhole?
Aston04
AG
We were very to landing Purdy back when Jimbo started here. Hard not to think what if..
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
Aston04 said:

We were very to landing Purdy back when Jimbo started here. Hard not to think what if..

it was between us and iowa st. we made a late push and i though jimbo was going to reel him in but he stuck with the long term relationships if i recall correctly at iowa st. it's shocking this kid was the last pick in the draft. he was a baller at iowa st.
THE_CHOSEN_ONE
Anyone else see this fake article advertised in the middle of the article? Wtf?
OrygunAg
AG
THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

Anyone else see this fake article advertised in the middle of the article? Wtf?

Ai generated Saban and it generated those ads
Sea Speed
AG
No because my browser blocks all the ads. I dont know how you can function being inundated with all that garbage.
THE_CHOSEN_ONE
I don't typically visit sites that have that kind of garbage, just clicked the link OP provided and that's where it took me
Sea Speed
AG
I get that, but I wasn't talking about the site specifically, just the ads. My browser blocks them all so when you click on articles like that. You don't see any ads. I highly recommend it.
Scotty Appleton
What's funny is that quote applies perfectly to Bryce Young.
Proposition Joe
Championing a qb after 1 season (in this case, less) in the NFL is typically not wise.

Once the league gets the book on your tendencies we see whether you are good enough to adapt.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Have respect for Purdy, he stuck with Iowa State after everybody including us tried to flip him late.
Come Out Roll
AG
Ag Tag said:

Was Saban being forthright at the time, and being realistic with him, or was he being an arsewhole?

Is there a difference with Saban????
Bamaga
Nick's secret recruiting pitch. That's exactly what you would say to a kid you are trying to recruit to your school.
Unemployed
AG
Scotty Appleton said:

What's funny is that quote applies perfectly to Bryce Young.
No it doesn't.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
As a die hard 49ers fan, it has been great watching rooking Brock Purdy, who was the 262nd and last pick of the 2022 NFL draft, overcome the odds that were stacked against him. As a starter, he is 7-0, including 2-0 in the playoffs and became the 5th rookie to start a conference championship game.

Bucs rookie Shaun King lost to the Rams 11-6 in the NFC Championship Game in 1999; Steelers rookie Ben Roethlisberger lost to the Patriots 41-27 in the AFC Championship Game in 2004; Ravens rookie Joe Flacco lost to the Steelers 23-14 in the AFC Championship Game in 2008; and Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez lost to the Colts 30-17 in the AFC Championship Game in 2009.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/23/brock-purdy-will-become-fifth-rookie-quarterback-to-start-a-conference-championship-game/

SinKiller
The Brees thing could be the most overplayed thing in here, it's much ado about nothing. He went exactly where he should have, probably the only system at the time that would have worked for him.
agdoc2001
AG
Sea Speed said:

I dont know how you can function being inundated with all that garbage.
Sounds aggie football related.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I don't really trust Saban's opinion as the end all/be all on what makes an NFL QB.

The best NFL QB he's had transferred to OU. He's had what, two other solid NFL starters besides that? AJ McCarron, who's in the XFL, and Tua, who probably has a year left in the NFL because of injuries.
txaggieacct85
AG
Iraq2xVeteran said:

As a die hard 49ers fan, it has been great watching rooking Brock Purdy, who was the 262nd and last pick of the 2022 NFL draft, overcome the odds that were stacked against him. As a starter, he is 7-0, including 2-0 in the playoffs and became the 5th rookie to start a conference championship game.

Bucs rookie Shaun King lost to the Rams 11-6 in the NFC Championship Game in 1999; Steelers rookie Ben Roethlisberger lost to the Patriots 41-27 in the AFC Championship Game in 2004; Ravens rookie Joe Flacco lost to the Steelers 23-14 in the AFC Championship Game in 2008; and Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez lost to the Colts 30-17 in the AFC Championship Game in 2009.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/23/brock-purdy-will-become-fifth-rookie-quarterback-to-start-a-conference-championship-game/

"Mr. Irrelevant" FIFY
txaggieacct85
AG
Iraq2xVeteran said:

And SF will lose to the Eagles.
Unemployed
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

I don't really trust Saban's opinion as the end all/be all on what makes an NFL QB.

The best NFL QB he's had transferred to OU. He's had what, two other solid NFL starters besides that? AJ McCarron, who's in the XFL, and Tua, who probably has a year left in the NFL because of injuries.
Saban's job is to develop a QB to help him win in college, not the NFL.

And Purdy was the last guy drafted so a lot of NFL folks pretty much thought the same about him. And even on his own team, he was a 3rd stringer. They had to play him because he was the only option.

jja79
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Championing a qb after 1 season (in this case, less) in the NFL is typically not wise.

Once the league gets the book on your tendencies we see whether you are good enough to adapt.
He looks like he might actually be good. Seldom seen someone thrown into this situation be calmer and more composed.
SinKiller

You do understand why Jalen transferred, right? Hardly an indictment on Saban. I'm ready for a coach that can't develop qb's and win a NC every other year. Are we really nitpicking over the best college football of all time? "Sure he wins national championships, but man, what about his lack of qb development".
schmellba99
AG
RealTalk said:

And Purdy was the last guy drafted so a lot of NFL folks pretty much thought the same about him. And even on his own team, he was a 3rd stringer. They had to play him because he was the only option.

Brady was the 199th pick and only got his shot when Bledsoe got hurt. Turned out ok for him.

Not saying Purdy will be anywhere close, odds are he won't. Only that a lot of NFL folks didn't see "it" in the guy that is the greatest NFL qb that has played the game so far either, including his head coach.

Sometimes - rare times - those guys that nobody thinks can do ti turn out better than average. Odds are that Purdy is going to be more along the lines of Kaepernick in that he may have a few good seasons but fizzles out. Hope not, because he seems like a likeable guy from what I can tell and I tend to root for the underdogs as it is - part of being an AG I guess.
schmellba99
AG

Saban has had some damn good talent at QB, you can't argue that. Some guys just don't translate from college to the pros, other guys that you have never heard of in college somehow become all pro guys too. It's werid.

Saban's strength is not only getting a top shelf athlete at a position like QB, he manages to get those same top shelf guys across the board. Nobody else save for Smart and Swinney of late have been able to replicate that formula. Turns out when your entire team is more talented than your competition, you win games. Strange, huh?
txaggieacct85
AG
you just compared him to Kaepernick

thumbs down
Unemployed
AG
txaggieacct85 said:

eww
Are you effing 12 years old?
txaggieacct85
AG
RealTalk said:

txaggieacct85 said:

eww
Are you effing 12 years old?
FIFY. Kaepernick is a loser that decided he wanted to make a name for himself by disrespecting our country.

It backfired on him
Sea Speed
AG
[

Nvmd, you edited it
carl spacklers hat
schmellba99 said:

RealTalk said:

Brady was the 199th pick and only got his shot when Bledsoe got hurt. Turned out ok for him.

Not saying Purdy will be anywhere close, odds are he won't. Only that a lot of NFL folks didn't see "it" in the guy that is the greatest NFL qb that has played the game so far either, including his head coach.

Sometimes - rare times - those guys that nobody thinks can do ti turn out better than average. Odds are that Purdy is going to be more along the lines of Kaepernick in that he may have a few good seasons but fizzles out. Hope not, because he seems like a likeable guy from what I can tell and I tend to root for the underdogs as it is - part of being an AG I guess.
In other words, he is an outlier. Time will tell if Brock has staying power or if he's another flash-in-the-pan QB who gets schemed once League DCs have tape on him.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
txaggieacct85
AG
probably flash in the pan
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.