Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Off-season Aggie photo dump

11,913 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Jugstore Cowboy
Bison
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Microwave Onions said:

FAT SEXY said:

Microwave Onions said:

Which player is this? Looking like a straight bulldozer in this pic. Nobody wants to tackle this man.
Rodney Thomas.

https://www.texasfootball.com/hof-rodney-thomas?ref=search

*watches video*
*sees non-beveled logo on field*

'murica!
Sgt. Hartman
AG
I spent way too much time in Coach Melvin Robertson's liquor store back in the day.
oklacityag75
AG

John 14:6
oklacityag75
AG

John 14:6
alamoaggie64
AG
Microwave Onions: that fellow was Linton Batjer '32. I remember him as he was active in Former Students. This school produced some great men in those days.
alamoaggie64
AG
Thanks to everyone who posted these old photos and memories. Great stuff. Great to see the '64 SWC Champions photo, a great bunch of guys. Ags followed that up with the SWC baseball championship that spring.

Bellard had a really good staff. Max Bumgardner that is shown was either that dad or granddad of Max who caught the winning TD in the Bonfire game.
TexAg1987
Microwave Onions said:

TheCurl84 said:

Microwave Onions said:

The news clipping is from June 28, 1976.

Before my time, I've just seen it mentioned here a few times.

I don't think that's right. I ate at Mom's in the early '80s. Probably 1982.
I'm not making up the date - it's from the Eagle.

Here's another one:

Whether or not there was another business which used that name, I can't say. But nothing else pops up in the archives available online.
I also ate there. The special account must have raised enough money to rebuild or relocate.
$5 Chicken fried steak was my favorite night if I remember correctly. Full meal served family style. Whatever machine they used in the back to mash the potatoes (I assume) would dim the lights every time they used it. It doesn't surprise me that a fire once happened in the kitchen.
Chet Ripley
Based on that article, I'd bet they were able to rebuild. I'm pretty sure I ate there in 1978-1979.
ghollow
AG
I still have my dad's old Aggielands ('49) and my grandfather's ('26) yearbooks known as the Longhorn back then.

Things sure have changed over the years.
So the greatest civilization is one where all citizens are equally armed and can only be persuaded, never forced. It removes force from the equation... and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.
TexAg1987
Chet Ripley said:

Based on that article, I'd bet they were able to rebuild. I'm pretty sure I ate there in 1978-1979.
My recollection is that it was serving food until Mom wasn't able to do it anymore. I recall her sitting at the door taking money when I went.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
alamoaggie64 said:

Microwave Onions: that fellow was Linton Batjer '32. I remember him as he was active in Former Students. This school produced some great men in those days.
Yessir.
alamoaggie64
AG
OP's post with that piece of the '76 Aggieland reminds me of how much fun it was to go to games in those days. It was a different Gameday, before that word was coined. A tailgate was exactly that, food prepared by mom before the family left home early that morning. Cars were allowed to park on the streets, so people parked and set up their lunch. After eating, folks headed for the MSC to visit with friends and strangers, and then strolled over to Kyle Field. SWC days, so you ran into your Bear or Mustang, or Longhorn friends. Crowds of about 50,000, so you knew or felt like you knew everyone in the stadium. No TV so games took less than three hours. No piped in music. It all started with Professor Esten and his "Good afternoon, football fans, and welcome to Kyle Field, the Home of the Fighting Texas Aggies!" Then the visitors' alma mater, Spirit, and National Anthem. And a prayer by student like corps chaplain. The student body and yell leaders performed the yells, and the band was always magnificent. Both bands performed at halftime. Some games we were outscored, but no one ever left the stadium. Then we all drove home, already of thinking about next Saturday. I enjoyed the atmosphere much more than I do today though I understand why we have to have 100,000 in the stands each week and why we need the TV money.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Even in the 90's, we'd still see some old Ags in their maroon blazers and maroon cars parked out in front.

And, as you said, the guy in the OP picture was one of the good guys - who I knew long before I thought about being an Aggie.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
alamoaggie64 said:

For the 4th of July, I'll take a minute to remember what a good bunch of guys they were and how fortunate I was to know some of them. One of their buds went to A&M and St. Thomas High School in Houston before dying on D-Day with Easy company. Linton Batjer was one of those guys who would come around and check in on the family as life went on.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Still very technically the off-season for us, so I'm sharing this photograph I just found in the Houston library digital archives, showing the corps marching in downtown Houston in front of the old market square and city hall building, November 1909:

texag_89
Microwave Onions said:

Bet she had great gams.
What a dame!!
texag_89
TheCurl84 said:

Microwave Onions said:

The news clipping is from June 28, 1976.

Before my time, I've just seen it mentioned here a few times.

I don't think that's right. I ate at Mom's in the early '80s. Probably 1982.

She was still putting out great enchiladas on enchilada night in the mid to late 80's as well.

StinkyPinky
AG
1976, I was 3 yrs old. Think that was the year I started smoking and drinking.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
alamoaggie64 said:

Now that it's the off-season again, I'll try to find some more pictures. But I was glad to know someone else remembered Linton Batjer. He was a good Ag and good friend who answered when my PawPaw's name was called, and then came by to visit later. Epitome of a good Ag and Texan.

And now, for more pictures:

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.