Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Off-season Aggie photo dump

11,894 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Jugstore Cowboy
Jugstore Cowboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A couple weeks ago, someone was asking a question about the '76 team. Year before I was born.

While I was trying to answer that person's question, I was looking at that year's Aggieland and saw this page:

Made me remember all those old Ags who used to come the games in their maroon jackets and cars.

And as I zoomed in on the image, I saw the guy in the picture was one of Pawpaw's buddies from Houston and the guy who answered "here" when Pawpaw's name was called at Muster. I was a kid and didn't yet know I was an Aggie and didn't know what it meant when he told me he'd answer for Pawpaw. Some years later, I found out what it what it was like to answer.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Chet Ripley
Microwave Onions said:

https://i.imgur.com/rkuP1o8.png

Always wondered what happened to Mom's. When was this?
WC94
AG
Was hoping this was a poop slap thread.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
The news clipping is from June 28, 1976.

Before my time, I've just seen it mentioned here a few times.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Not an image, but I something I came across while looking for answer to a question in another thread:

Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Jugstore Cowboy
AG

Can't remember which yearbook I found this one in, but it stood out for some reason. Even in the 30s people were coming up with clever bumper stickers before Maroon U.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Bellard's staff:

Aggie kith and kin
John Paul Young, pictured above as part of Bellard's staff, played football at Abilene High during their successful run in the mid 1950s. Coached football at all levels; high school, college and professional. He's good people too!
phatcat
Larry Horton returns kickoff for TD.
LSU decides to end 10yr deal playing each other early after several aggie wins
fasthorse05
Microwave Onions said:

Bellard's staff:

Donnie Wiggington took over once James Street graduated.

And phatcat, that 1975 game in Baton Rouge was a complete ass kicking by the Aggies. My dad was ALWAYS happy to beat Charlie McClendon at LSU.

Jugstore Cowboy
AG

Bet she had great gams.
Post removed:
by user
trackaggie76
AG
1976 was a good year---centennial class, gold spurs!!!!
eATMup-Reveille
Microwave Onions said:

Bet she had great gams.

I was not aware John Kimbrough had a brief acting career.

As to John Kimbrough and his brief film career, let's back track a bit. George Montgomery's earliest film work - as George Letz - occurred in the mid to late 1930s at Republic Pictures where he did bit parts and supporting roles in about thirty films, most of which were B westerns and serials. During this period, his most remembered role was portraying 'Jim Clark', one of the five Rangers in the cliffhanger, THE LONE RANGER (Republic, 1938). It was circa late 1939, around the time that he exited Republic and signed with 20th Century Fox, that George Letz became George Montgomery. While under contract to 20th Century Fox, he starred in two remakes of Zane Grey westerns, LAST OF THE DUANES (20th Century Fox, 1941) and RIDERS OF THE PURPLE SAGE (20th Century Fox, 1941). Then 20th Century Fox boss Darryl Zanuck promoted Montgomery to higher grade productions including: ORCHESTRA WIVES (1942) with Glenn Miller and his Orchestra, TEN GENTLEMEN FROM WEST POINT (1942) with Maureen O'Hara, CHINA GIRL (1942) with Gene Tierney, ROXIE HART (1942) with Ginger Rogers, and CONEY ISLAND (1943) with Betty Grable.

Replacing Montgomery in the Zane Grey series was John Kimbrough ... and he starred in a pair: SUNDOWN JIM (20th Century Fox, 1942) and LONE STAR RANGER (20th Century Fox, 1942).

James Tinling (1889-1967) directed all four of the Montgomery and Kimbrough oaters. He had been around the Fox lot since the silent film days and helmed various features including a Mr. Moto and a Charlie Chan. He even directed an earlier Zane Grey adaptation, THE LAST TRAIL (Fox, 1933), which starred George O'Brien and Claire Trevor. Tinling wound up doing early TV, directing episodes of the STU ERWIN SHOW, PUBLIC DEFENDER and RACKET SQUAD starring Reed Hadley, more.

Kimbrough's Hollywood career lasted about five months. The October 15, 1941 issue of Film Daily had an announcement: "Twentieth Century Fox has signed John Kimbrough, Texas A & M football player, to a long-term contract." But World War II intervened and March, 1942 newspapers had blurbs on Kimbrough reporting to Camp Roberts, California as a second lieutenant in the 90th Infantry Training Battalion.
TheCurl84
AG
Microwave Onions said:

I don't think that's right. I ate at Mom's in the early '80s. Probably 1982.
eATMup-Reveille
TheCurl84 said:

Microwave Onions said:

Did it taste a little overcooked?
TheCurl84
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
TheCurl84 said:

Microwave Onions said:

I'm not making up the date - it's from the Eagle.

Here's another one:

Whether or not there was another business which used that name, I can't say. But nothing else pops up in the archives available online.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
FAT SEXY said:

Microwave Onions said:

Which player is this? Looking like a straight bulldozer in this pic. Nobody wants to tackle this man.
Rodney Thomas.

https://www.texasfootball.com/hof-rodney-thomas?ref=search

DecadePlan
AG
Microwave Onions said:

Man I miss Panhandle Slim. Is he related to your story or was this just a nod to Ol' Ag greatness?
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Not related, I just saw that in my imgur account from way back.
Russ79
AG
Got to A&M the fall of 1976. My roommate and I would play raquetball three days a week at DeWare- we would each reserve a court for consecutive hours since you couldn't reserve a court for but an hour at a time. Took handball as a PE course because raquetball always filled up fast. Ate at Mom's a time or two around '79 or '80.
war hymn aggie
AG
Joe Routt, A&M's 1st All-American football player
Routt was an officer in the Army in WW2 & was killed in the Battle of the Bulge.
Awarded a Bronze Star & a Purple Heart for his merits.
war hymn aggie
AG
John Kimbrough. Main man in A&M's last National Championship in 1939.
Finished 2nd in the Heisman his senior season. Later played in the NFL.
Pay was poor back then so he gave it up. His rugged good looks & big frame allowed him to star in a couple of Hollywood Western films. Served in WW2 & returned to NFL but was forced to retire due to heart conditions. Later became o member of the Texas House of Representatives & finished his life after that as a rancher.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.