Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Can we just hire Dat for LB coach?

7,709 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Emilio Fantastico
BTHOB-98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think that we would be considerably better! At Least our kids would be hitters!!

montanagriz
S
He hated recruiting, college is 95% recruiting
juanyfutbol
montanagriz said:

If it really was 95% recruiting then we would've been competing in the playoffs last season with the amount of talent we had, but I see your point.
Crocker
AG
Agree with you. Though maybe less work now that $$$ do more of the heavy lifting.
Stmichael
AG
Didn't we try this once during the Sherman era? I would think if Dat were interested in coaching, he'd still be a coach. As it is, seems like he's happier having some time to spend with his family and owning a Chic-Fil-A.
Sterling82
Maybe they could just use his films to show how to play the position.
Reno Hightower
One thing Dat does that a majority of college and pro defenders don't do. He wraps up and TACKLES the ball carrier, he doesn't just deliver a blow.
hodges97
AG
Sterling82 said:

Maybe they could just use his films to show how to play the position.
JCE_02
juanyfutbol said:

montanagriz said:

If it really was 95% recruiting then we would've been competing in the playoffs last season with the amount of talent we had, but I see your point.

A solid freshman class is not a recipe for making the playoffs.
AWP 97
AG
montanagriz said:

This

Also, it's been proven time and again that a great player doesn't necessarily make a great coach. We all love Dat but I don't think he has strong enough name recognition to draw in top recruits.
TexasAggie_97
AG
JCE_02 said:

juanyfutbol said:

montanagriz said:

It seems to be for all ofhers. I think I read that for the last 20 years or so every team that had a number 1 recruiting class wither played for or won a national championship. What do you bet ole Jimbo breaks that streak?
Dr RC
Reno Hightower said:

One thing Dat does that a majority of college and pro defenders don't do. He wraps up and TACKLES the ball carrier, he doesn't just deliver a blow.
You need to practice for that and the rules severely limit how much you can practice compared to when he played.
Unemployed
AG
TexasAggie_97 said:

JCE_02 said:

juanyfutbol said:

montanagriz said:

It seems to be for all ofhers. I think I read that for the last 20 years or so every team that had a number 1 recruiting class wither played for or won a national championship. What do you bet ole Jimbo breaks that streak?
The sophomores, juniors, and seniors, on those teams were also a part of top 3 classes.

That's the difference between them and us.
Sterling82
Reno Hightower said:

The thing about Dat, he used quickness and quick reads (game planning) to avoid blocks and get to the ball. A lot of practice for LBs is taking on blocks but sometimes it gets to be too much of the focus and making plays suffers as a consequence. Notice how many times Dat gets past the LOS without a lineman even getting on him.
OriolePete
How about JFF for QB coach too? Geez people...
Unemployed
AG
OriolePete said:

Although he has been out of coaching for a while, Dat has coached in the NFL and at A&M. So his resume is a little better than JFF.
AG81
AG
He'd have to take a pay cut to come.
Guy12
Stmichael said:

Didn't we try this once during the Sherman era? I would think if Dat were interested in coaching, he'd still be a coach. As it is, seems like he's happier having some time to spend with his family and owning a Chic-Fil-A.

He was an LB coach for two years and we had two LBs drafted from that era, Von Miller and Sean Porter. He wasn't retained when Sumlin came over, and I'd say that looks like a mistake at this point.

But it looks like he hasn't coached since that point, so you might be right.
20ag07
Dat is the least present CFA operator in town.

Why would he want to work?

yell_on_6th st
AG
The last great Aggie LB, change my mind
tk for tu juan
Guess our cloning program hasn't advanced enough to roll out two Dat's every season. Anyway to inject the current LBs with his natural instinct at the position?
GarryowenAg
AG
20ag07 said:

I believe he has 2 CFAs. Dude is making serious cash. No way he would want to leave that cushy lifestyle.
Unemployed
AG
GarryowenAg said:

20ag07 said:

I believe he has 2 CFAs. Dude is making serious cash. No way he would want to leave that cushy lifestyle.
I thought you can only own one CFA?
Alpha Texan
AG
Stmichael said:

He was an excellent coach. We had no-name or small-name guys racking up huge numbers under Dat because he coached them to be in the right place at the right time and do ALL the fundamentals right. He left when we hired Sumlin because, as he said, "there's no way I'm coaching under a guy like that."
Alpha Texan
AG
Guy12 said:

Stmichael said:

He was an LB coach for two years and we had two LBs drafted from that era, Von Miller and Sean Porter. He wasn't retained when Sumlin came over, and I'd say that looks like a mistake at this point.

But it looks like he hasn't coached since that point, so you might be right.
Dat left willingly because he didn't like how Sumlin did things. Dat also coached Michael Hodges and Garrick Williams. He was able to show guys with minimal talent how to do the basics right and be huge contributors.

IMO Jimbo's first mistake as the Aggie HC was not getting Dat back.
eATMup-Reveille
Just Nguyen Baby!!
TeeShirt Sip
Stmichael said:

As it is, seems like he's happier having some time to spend with his family and owning a Chic-Fil-A.
Owning the Chick-Fil-A would be awesome. Love their chicken sandwiches!
aeon-ag
OriolePete said:

JFF would be a joke!!!
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
yell_on_6th st said:

The last great Aggie LB, change my mind

Dat was the last great inside linebacker.

Von was the last great outside linebacker.

Wait a damn minute, are there any LBs out there with 3 letter names?
AG81
AG
RealTalk said:

GarryowenAg said:

20ag07 said:

I thought you can only own one CFA?

You would be wrong.
AG81
AG
20ag07 said:

He doesn't own them here. They're in Ft. Worth.
Ian Neff
AG
Shadow of CuervoAg
juanyfutbol said:

montanagriz said:

The 5% bit us in the ass.
Do not post opposing views or you too, like me, will become a shadow of your former self.
Shadow of CuervoAg
Why not Johnny Holland - a NFL LBs coach???
Do not post opposing views or you too, like me, will become a shadow of your former self.
Deats99
AG
The way he flew to the ball carrier, Dat had wings. His work ethic was unmatched. Neither of those things can be taught. Hopefully he married a 6'6" Nordic goddess and we can recruit their kids(I know he didn't). Lol
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
-George S Patton
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.