Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Deion flips #1 5* from state of FL

12,354 Views | 87 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Harry Dunne
Ag9701
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://thespun.com/.amp/more/top-stories/cormani-mcclain-deion-sanders-colorado

I have listened to some of his interviews. If he is being sincere and honest, I think he is going to do well.

I assume CU alumni are offering more $$$ support than in the past.
Lake08
He'll always recruit great because he can relate to the players, but will get exposed as a HC in very short order
Unemployed
AG
People are caring way too much about Deion Sanders and Colorado.
AvsB
Barstool sports had something to do with this flip. Maybe not barstool direct (due to gambling affiliation) but Portnoy was pretty coy on the twitter about it to some U supporters.
KCup17
AG
Wonder what will happen if they suck next season?
jja79
AG
Lake08 said:

He'll always recruit great because he can relate to the players, but will get exposed as a HC in very short order
Based on what? Jackson State had won 21 games the 8 years before he got there. His record was 27-6 with back to back conference championships.
Bobaloo
It will be fascinating to watch CU the next few years. Deion is a different dude, and it would not shock me in the least to see him excel at a very high level at CU.
rootube
AG
jja79 said:

Lake08 said:

Based on what? Jackson State had won 21 games the 8 years before he got there. His record was 27-6 with back to back conference championships.

It's no use, there is an army of people licking their chops for Sanders to fail for some reason.
Lake08
jja79 said:

Lake08 said:

Jackson St.??? Really??? Great competition
OneAg
AG
Yeah, I don't understand the assumption that he's going to fail. He's only given reasons to believe that he'll do well to this point. Maybe that changes but right now, I'm expecting a good season in 2023 and CU to be in the running for the PAC championship game in 2024. The talent he is acquiring alone should allow for this.
Wrighty
AG
jja79 said:

Lake08 said:

While he has minimal coaching experience and won't be out-athlete-ing the teams CU plays against, the real reason for skepticism is that loudmouth braggart types typically aren't great leaders and coaches.
rootube
AG
OneAg said:

Yeah, I don't understand the assumption that he's going to fail. He's only given reasons to believe that he'll do well to this point. Maybe that changes but right now, I'm expecting a good season in 2023 and CU to be in the running for the PAC championship game in 2024. The talent he is acquiring alone should allow for this.

If he succeeds at CU just wait for the same folks to call for him to replace Jimbo.
OneAg
AG
If he turns out to be good and Jimbo fails, then some people probably will. I guess we'll see.
Meximan
KCup17 said:

Wonder what will happen if they suck next season?
The Pac (10?) has more paper tigers than an origami collection.
rootube
AG
Wrighty said:

jja79 said:

Lake08 said:

While he has minimal coaching experience and won't be out-athlete-ing the teams CU plays against, the real reason for skepticism is that loudmouth braggart types typically aren't great leaders and coaches.

Are you sure? He has the top recruit from the '22 cycle and the top recruit from the '23 cycle. I'd say he is well on his way to creating a talent gap in the PAC.
Unemployed
AG
Lake08 said:

jja79 said:

Lake08 said:

Bama and Georgia has a talent advantage against 99% of the teams they play against but nobody ever use that to diminish Saban and Smart's coaching abilities.
AggieDub04
AG
OneAg said:

Most coaches who succeed at lower ranks fail at D1. That is statistics.

The vast majority of those that succeed at lower levels of college football do it with roughly equal or slightly better talent than the teams they play. Deion was able to recruit several players who would have been on D1 rosters which created a significant talent gap in most of their games. He won't have that talent differential at Colorado. Being in the PAC will help but Oregon and USC will probably still have more talent.

All of this is not to say he won't succeed, but he'll have to do something different to win at this level than he did at Jackson State.
Bill Superman
AG
RealTalk said:

Lake08 said:

jja79 said:

Lake08 said:

Bama and Georgia has a talent advantage against 99% of the teams they play against but nobody ever use that to diminish Saban and Smart's coaching abilities.
They definitely do it to disparage Jimbo's coaching abilities.
LB12Diamond
AG
I just don't see him doing well at Colorado. They have been down a long time. We shall see.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
As far as Deion's coaching abilities go, I am in the 'jury is still out' camp.

Let's see out he does where he won't have a huge talent advantage.

But acquiring talent is a big part of a college coaches job so bonus points for him there.
rootube
AG
Would you care to elaborate on these statistics? What is a lower level? Most coaches at a HBCU never get a shot at a P5 so I'd be interested to know where your "stats" come from.
TXAG 05
AG
If he keeps pulling these good recruits, he should be fine. It's the PAC, it doesn't take much to compete there.
HerschelwoodHardhead
AG
Wrighty said:

jja79 said:

Lake08 said:

Just off the top of my head a few coaches I'd say run counter to that: Ed Orgeron, Jim Harbaugh, Jimmie Johnson (college and pro), Bo Pellini, Woody Hayes, Steve Spurrier…

Some better than others, but all were successful at the D1 level.
Ag CPA
AG
Lake08 said:

Are you talking about Deion or Jimbo?
DamnGood86
AG
Lake08 said:

I agree with your first opinion but I have no idea on your second opinion. He may very well be an excellent D1 head coach. I don't always like his shoes but will that torpedo him?
You may not be a moron, but some people think you are.
ABATTBQ87
AG
He'll use the Colorado experience to move on to the pros within the next 4 years
AG
Lake08 said:

jja79 said:

Lake08 said:

And against that same competition, they won 21 games in 8 years until he showed up. Then he beat that same competition 27 times in 2 years.

With a team full of kids at the same talent level.

He wasn't playing those teams with a roster full of Alabama players.

You tell me what changed.
Ag9701
AG
If he gets talented players and gets good coordinators, he could be a very successful CEO type coach. I also don't understand why people doubt his Xs and Os abilities given his past experience including being a HOF player. He understands football.

I think most people would agree he has at least equal ability c/t Orgeron and he won a NC.

If you watch his interviews and teams meetings, he has bravado but also preaches very solid principles to his players.

I am definitely interested to see how CU does over the next 2-3 yrs.
crowman2010
AG
RealTalk said:

Bookmarking to watch the crow being eaten later this season
DallasAg 94
rsf0626
Deion seems like an absolute phony of a person, but if he continues to recruit like this CO is going to be very competitive
rsf0626
HoustonAg2021
With the instant talent being brought in. I could see him turning it around and making a bowl game and going 6-6 or going 7-5. It is the pac 12 after all. Losses to USC, O, TCU, Utah, and then one more random.
Bunk Moreland
Deion will win plenty. Remains to be seen if he'll become an elite coach or not (obviously). But his staff has skins

OC: Sean Lewis, who spent the last 5 years as Kent St's HC which had some electric offenses.
DC: Charles Kelly...Bama's prior associate DC and safeties coach

Brought over some JSU coaches, took some guys like Nick Williams from us and others. It's not the best staff in the country but it's loaded in recruiting ability and has some talent to coach on it too it appears.
DallasAg 94
Unemployed
AG
crowman2010 said:

RealTalk said:

Bookmarking to watch the crow being eaten later this season

Don't misunderstand and think that I believe he will fail. I just don't care either away because it doesn't really affect us.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.