Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Short 10-13 Scholarship Players as of 9 January

17,688 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by vander54
vander54
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
terata said:

In desperate situations, act desperately.... recruit a few JC transfers

But it's not desperate
World's worst proofreader
Reno Hightower
Will 'lack of depth' be the new 'didnt execute', next season?
rootube
AG
Reno Hightower said:

The plays were there, it was just little run fits and execution mistakes. I take full responsibility.
Texas A&M
Reno Hightower said:

I get so confused... I thought last year's line was about how young we were.
txaggieacct85
AG
I know I graduated a long time ago, but I still have four years of eligibility
txaggieacct85
AG
85 is the limit for scholarship players, but is there a minimum?
Flavius Agximus
AG
txaggieacct85 said:

Yes, but it's only trotted out when there's a need to skip a game, like the 2021 season bowl game against Wake Forest.
txaggieacct85
AG
BQAg84 said:

txaggieacct85 said:

Yes, but it's only trotted out when there's a need to skip a game, like the 2021 season bowl game against Wake Forest.
so these scholarships dont have to be filled.
vander54
S
No and its not uncommon to be a few short in the spring. Those scholarships usually are awarded to walk ons.
txaggieacct85
AG
vander54 said:

No and its not uncommon to be a few short in the spring. Those scholarships usually are awarded to walk ons.
So award some to walk ons, go find a few in the portal and call it a day.
Kozmozag
Our core group from last year sucked.
Reno Hightower
Ag_B_10
AG
Disregard. Stupidity and on my part
Halconblack
AG
Just an update on how this is going:
We are still currently sitting at 73-74 scholarship players.

People keep saying not to focus on the numbers. I would tell those people that they don't get it. Those 11-12 scholarships are resources to be leveraged. If you are not doing so, you are cheating yourself.

Do you want headaches or guys that can't play? No. Absolutely not. But, if you are telling me your recruiting staff can't find 9-10 guys to provide either depth at key positions or special teamers to keep your starters healthy, I would say those guys aren't doing their jobs.
v/r
Crjdoc
I am assuming they give one scholarship to Bond as the starting kicker with the Davis departure, would not surprise me if they offered one to Matthews who started a few games last year
DallasAg 94
vander54
S
Halconblack said:

People keep saying not to focus on the numbers. I would tell those people that they don't get it. Those 11-12 scholarships are resources to be leveraged. If you are not doing so, you are cheating yourself.

Do you want headaches or guys that can't play? No. Absolutely not. But, if you are telling me your recruiting staff can't find 9-10 guys to provide either depth at key positions or special teamers to keep your starters healthy, I would say those guys aren't doing their jobs.

We have between 73 and 75 scholarships depending on what Preston and Anias do. With Smith committing yesterday our WR position is looking much better. If both Preston and Anias come back we probably only need 1 more to be comfortable. Obviously that changes if one or neither dont come back.

If I had to rank our needs as of right now it would probably go

1a LB
1b WR
2 CB
3 RB
4 OT (not likely)

After that it's really not that important unless we can find a guy that has multiple years left and doesn't mind sitting a year.
carl spacklers hat
Halconblack said:

We are still currently sitting at 73-74 scholarship players. I really don't have a clue how it's going but I thought I'd come back to the thread to fling some poo and see what sticks.

People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
vander54
S
I created my ideal roster and compared it to what we actually have on our roster.

The WR numbers include Preston and Anias.

The () tells you if we currently have more, less, or equal to.

Offense
Wr - 10 (-2)
RB - 5 (-1)
TE - 5 (+1)
QB - 3 (0)
C- 3 (0)
G - 7 (+1)
OT - 7 (-1)

Defense

DT - 8 (-1)
DE - 8 (0)
LB - 7 (-1)
CB - 6 (0)
NB - 3 (-1)
S - 6 (-1)

Special Teams

1-2 K and P

This would give us 81 scholarships and I think the remaining 4 can be awarded to walk ons
Bill Superman
AG
Do you see us getting 8 more through the portal? That seems to be quite a bit at this rate.
vander54
S
I think we will add at least 1 more WR, LB and CB. After that I'm not sure. But it will be tough to land impact guys so I'm not sure adding more than those 3 will matter.

I'll add that Anias and/or Preston's decision on next year will definitely impact how many WR we end up taking.
northeastag
AG
So there seems to be an awful lot of nervous handwringing over the fact that we've got open scholarships, as we are at or around 75, depending on a few things.

But how is it that professional teams are only 53 in size, can only dress 46, and play a longer schedule? Nobody really worries about that, even though it is 20 or more less than what college teams have. Is it because the NFL can go out mid year and fill holes if they pop up, where we have to live with what we've got at the beginning of the year? Are college kids more prone to injury?

Not trying to be a smart a, just asking.
ABATTBQ87
AG
northeastag said:

So there seems to be an awful lot of nervous handwringing over the fact that we've got open scholarships, as we are at or around 75, depending on a few things.

But how is it that professional teams are only 53 in size, can only dress 46, and play a longer schedule? Nobody really worries about that, even though it is 20 or more less than what college teams have. Is it because the NFL can go out mid year and fill holes if they pop up, where we have to live with what we've got at the beginning of the year? Are college kids more prone to injury?

Not trying to be a smart a, just asking.

NFL teams have practice squads and can pick up players throughout the year
DallasAg 94
12thMan9
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Halconblack said:

I think one of the problems you may not realize is, giving a scholarship is almost always not a 1year decision.

I like the flexibility to add players. Last year we lost 2 OL to medical retirement during the Spring. Injuries are going to happen, so being able to have flexibility is good.

If we start the 2023 season with 10 available scholarships, it wouldn't be ideal, but just means we have that many more to offer for 2024 HS players.

Nope. Can only sign 25 kids per year.
Ronnie '88
AgSportsFan89
AG
12thMan9 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Halconblack said:

I think one of the problems you may not realize is, giving a scholarship is almost always not a 1year decision.

I like the flexibility to add players. Last year we lost 2 OL to medical retirement during the Spring. Injuries are going to happen, so being able to have flexibility is good.

If we start the 2023 season with 10 available scholarships, it wouldn't be ideal, but just means we have that many more to offer for 2024 HS players.

Nope. Can only sign 25 kids per year.

Incorrect. 25 limit is gone. 85 is the only limit now
AggieDub04
AG
So we're 10 down now. I'm guessing we add 4 more now via portal and HS signing day and hold back 5 or 6 for post spring practice. Last year we lost two linemen in the spring and it'd be nice to have a spot should a quality player lose their starting spot in the spring and look for a new home.
vander54
S
AggieDub04 said:

So we're 10 down now. I'm guessing we add 4 more now via portal and HS signing day and hold back 5 or 6 for post spring practice. Last year we lost two linemen in the spring and it'd be nice to have a spot should a quality player lose their starting spot in the spring and look for a new home.

Someone else is saying we're down to 9 so I may have miscounted. But either way I'm sure we will have a few spots for transfers after spring practice.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.