Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Short 10-13 Scholarship Players as of 9 January

17,684 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by vander54
Halconblack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know this has been a point of discussion on multiple threads. We only have ~72 scholarship players, including recruits, but with only three weeks left to second signing day and a month after the portal opened up. I am curious how everyone thinks we're going to make up for the lack of scholarship talent on the roster?

At this point, I believe it will be 50% secondary high school targets and then 50% guys the entered the portal in the second window (May 1-15).
v/r
WC94
AG
80% portal, 20% HS sleepers.
akm91
AG
We may give scholarships to current walk-on's as well.
bv86ag
AG
I would probably take more portal players for this year as we had young team this past year.
DallasAg 94
We have at least 13 players who don't get reps in the Fall, so for Spring... it just means more NIL money for the the 72.

Win-Win, bro.
vander54
S
We have 74 scholarships and I can almost guarantee we will carry a few into next signing period/spring.

We will probably take 6-8 transfers and that would leave 3-5 spots for HS and Spring transfers.
World's worst proofreader
Bill Superman
AG
Well, Max Wright announced he's staying for his senior season. So you can downgrade your level of meltdown by a player.
Halconblack
AG
Do you think Wright would have been given the opportunity to return if we didn't have so many open scholarships? I am not being snide. This is a serious question. I don't know if he would have had a spot without so many open ships.
v/r
vander54
S
What? He definitely would
Aston04
AG
Halconblack said:

Do you think Wright would have been given the opportunity to return if we didn't have so many open scholarships? I am not being snide. This is a serious question. I don't know if he would have had a spot without so many open ship
Multi-year starters don't get stripped of their scholarships for performance... much better processing targets (we don't need to process anyone this year for a change).
beerad12man
AG
Halconblack said:

Do you think Wright would have been given the opportunity to return if we didn't have so many open scholarships? I am not being snide. This is a serious question. I don't know if he would have had a spot without so many open ships.

Absolutely. Senior leadership should never be taken for granted
Halconblack
AG
I am not advocating for anyone having their scholarship "stripped."

I also agree that senior leadership is important.

I just don't know if the conversation would have been different if the roster was closer to being full. I believe that is why it took this long for the decision to be announced.
v/r
Emilio Fantastico
AG
Any of the portal entrants likely or possible to return?

How many have committed elsewhere already?
JaceAG12
Right, he's the best blocking TE we have. That alone is worth it.
90ags
https://www.on3.com/transfer-portal/news/oklahoma-linebacker-david-ugwoegbu-enters-ncaa-trasnfer-portal/

Are we offering this guy?
______________________________________________________ Play for the name on the front of your jersey, not the back...
Halconblack
AG
Update:
Max Wright returns
Jason Scarlett with team

Still between 8-11 scholarship players short of the full 85.
v/r
NyAggie
AG
Halconblack said:

Update:
Max Wright returns
Jason Scarlett with team

Add a couple of hs players and a handful of portal guys, roster is then filled up enough
Ag_B_10
AG
Do we usually always have the full 85 filled by this time and this is an outlier?
Dr. Horrible
Ag_B_10 said:

Do we usually always have the full 85 filled by this time and this this an outlier?
Yes. Usually we are over and talking about who will get "cut".
arontc09
AG
Ag_B_10 said:

Do we usually always have the full 85 filled by this time and this this an outlier?
It's hard to say because early signing day is relatively new, but we would have typically had commits to make up the difference. With unsigned commits, we would typically be in the 78-85 range, I think.
Sq 17
Dr. Horrible said:

Ag_B_10 said:

Yes. Usually we are over and talking about who will get "cut".
The term is " processed " and it is always mutually agreed to and the Aggie student attending A&M on a football scholarship who is getting processed is very excited about attending and playing at Tulsa or other awesome G5 destination.
Divining Rod
I think I'd much rather we be "short" players in a 5-7 year than all filled up!
aggiebrad94
AG
Shouldn't you wait until after signing day until you whine like a middle school girl?
cevans_40
AG
aggiebrad94 said:

Shouldn't you wait until after signing day until you whine like a middle school girl?
NO!!!!

Must whine now.

There will be over 1000 players who go unclaimed in the portal and will be looking for somewhere to play. The only way we don't fill a roster, is if we don't want to.
carl spacklers hat
Halconblack said:

I know this has been a point of discussion on multiple threads. We only have ~72 scholarship players, including recruits, but with only three weeks left to second signing day and a month after the portal opened up. I am curious how everyone thinks we're going to make up for the lack of scholarship talent on the roster?

At this point, I believe it will be 50% secondary high school targets and then 50% guys the entered the portal in the second window (May 1-15).
So, you think the current 10-11 open scholarship spots are going to fill your self-described lack of scholarship talent on the roster? What the hell kind of troll job is this? The talent on the roster is the best its been since the late 80s/90s, and maybe the best ever. Please explain your perceived lack of scholarship talent on the roster.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
Divining Rod
^you dont get it. it's all about the numbers. it is damn hard to attract players who want a scholarship from Texas A&M University.
TnAg23
AG
Tennessee was complaining about the same thing after Pruitt got fired (2 years ago). The portal did to them what people act like it's doing to us. IIRC, they were 20+ short going into New Years 2021.

Roster management is drastically different then it used to be.
AggieDub04
AG
Aren't most schools down 10-20 players right now because of the portal? I assume we'll save a few spots for post spring ball transfers as well so realistically we're only going to get to 81 or 82.
vander54
S
Divining Rod said:

^you dont get it. it's all about the numbers. it is damn hard to attract players who want a scholarship from Texas A&M University.

What?
Showstopper
AG
vander54 said:

Divining Rod said:

What?
I think he means that this year it is hard to attract players that we want this year. We could clearly get a bunch of three star portal and transfer players who don't have any better options in about a day if we wanted to.
Triple-T
AG
Divining Rod said:

Thanks for that brilliant insight, Mr. "no Ag Tag".
FCBlitz
….so what you are saying is we still options to get better? Kool
AWP 97
AG
Halconblack said:

Update:
Max Wright returns
Jason Scarlett with team

Is Jason Scarlett related to '22 recruit, Jadon Scarlett?
Halconblack
AG
I think you are missing the intent of the comment. "Lack of scholarship talent" was only intended to distinguish scholarship players versus total number on the roster. I agree the talent on the roster is higher than we have ever seen it. However, I believe it takes depth to 1) have the depth to succeed over a season and 2) continue to replenish the ranks that graduate, go to the NFL, transfer, etc.
v/r
wangus12
AG
I still think we should give to the open spots to the annoying TexAgs posters who think they know or can do better
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.