Story Poster
Photo by Nathan Papes/USA TODAY NETWORK
Texas A&M Football

The Loochador Podcast: Rapid reaction to A&M's Bobby Petrino hire

January 4, 2023

Per reports, Jimbo Fisher and Texas A&M are finalizing a deal to make Bobby Petrino the next offensive coordinator of the Aggies. Following the breaking news, Billy Liucci and David Nuño sat down to offer an instant reaction as Petrino is headed to Aggieland.

Subscribe to The Loochador Podcast on iTunesSpotifyAmazon Music, Overcast, Stitcher, TuneInRSS

See All TexAgs Podcasts

Discussion from...

The Loochador Podcast: Rapid reaction to A&M's Bobby Petrino hire

19,543 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Rodney Ruxin
TAMU74
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm excited about the hire.
I remember him as a very successful HC at Arkansas and assume he and Fisher have come to some understanding as to the game day play calling.
I don't live in the past or in the Twitter sewer of constant negativity. I don't understand this fascination w/ twitter.
Congrats to coach Fisher on this hire.
texasag91
AG
Lucci said Jimbo knew what he wanted in an OC. The way I see it, we are just getting same offense. Not really going to be much of a change.

After watching TCU and some of the top teams in the Playoffs. Their play calling is was above and beyond. Calling plays I have never seen before. Creative and adaptive to the current game. That's not really Jimbo and Petrino.

Hope I am wrong. But I think we are going to same offense.

HarryRocket
Well, hey, at least it's something.
maroonthrunthru
Meet the New Play Caller…

Same as the Old Play Caller..

I was hoping for an OC that understood the importance of pre-snap "eye-candy" in the games where you don't have an overwhelming O Line advantage…

Maybe the bike accident rattled Bobby's brain into the 2020's…

His Louisville and Arky offenses look just Jimbo's 2022 offense…
big red dog
Nice hire. Gonna be a great year.
Sponge
AG
I was hoping for a younger up and comer OC. Not an old guy well past his prime. He could do good but I'm not optimistic.

It's also silly to say that Lamar progressed because Petrino was the coach. Was it him? Are you sure? It could have been some lowly QB assistant working with Lamar every day that was the key.
btglow87
AG
Billy ….ole miss is not an Air Raid offense…. They ran for 390 vs A&M, they are an uptempo spread team that runs first…. That is not air raid… they ran Dart (not the QB, the play -pull the tackle-) well north of 15 times in that game which is what a good running attack does. They find the soft spot in the box and hammer it. And it wasn't just against A&M they do it as a base principle of their offense. Just wanted to point that out.
CrottyKid
AG
As long as he can be more organized than Jimbo, it will be an improvement.
btglow87
AG
Billy Dunkin's defense might be better because of personnel but not because of his scheme. Even with the incredible talent we have up front… he is married to his 5 man box scheme, whether it be a 3-2 or a 4-1. He refuses to take a DB off the field to commit anyone else to the box. That creates a numerical disadvantage from the get go… So let's hope Bobby comes in and sets the scoreboard on fire.
btglow87
AG
btglow87 said:

Billy Dunkin's defense might be better because of personnel but not because of his scheme. Even with the incredible talent we have up front… he is married to his 5 man box scheme, whether it be a 3-2 or a 4-1. He refuses to take a DB off the field to commit anyone else to the box. That creates a numerical disadvantage from the get go… So let's hope Bobby comes in and sets the scoreboard on fire.

Also maybe Bobby will show DJ how to defend a wheel route since he seemed incapable of stopping that scheme, and Bobby likes to run it.
jigsaw87
redjalapeno-87
The Jimbobby offense will be productive and fun to watch. Hopefully he runs up the score on the SEC defenses to make his point.
sleepybeagle
AG
Glad we hired an O.C.
Talk is fun and fills the offseason.
But Talk is cheap and easy.

All that matters is what happens on the field next season.

nu awlins ag
AG
texasag91 said:

Lucci said Jimbo knew what he wanted in an OC. The way I see it, we are just getting same offense. Not really going to be much of a change.

After watching TCU and some of the top teams in the Playoffs. Their play calling is was above and beyond. Calling plays I have never seen before. Creative and adaptive to the current game. That's not really Jimbo and Petrino.

Hope I am wrong. But I think we are going to same offense.

We'll see how well he does after his QB is gone. He's what makes that offense go. It's not always easy to get a clone of your best QB. Some of you just need to chill and not hit the panic button. Has anyone here played or coached in college? Way too many armchair experts here thinking they have the answers that Fisher doesn't.
MouthBQ98
AG
The biggest gain will likely be having the head coach able to focus on game and player and clock management while someone else worries about personnel packages and play calling in game. I don't think the offensive scheme needs to change all that much but I am sure it will be modified as needed.
agwrestler
AG
Just get the play called in a timely manner to avoid the stupid delay of game penalties!!
Stmichael
AG
aeon-ag
TAMU74 said:

I'm excited about the hire.
I remember him as a very successful HC at Arkansas and assume he and Fisher have come to some understanding as to the game day play calling.
I don't live in the past or in the Twitter sewer of constant negativity. I don't understand this fascination w/ twitter.
Congrats to coach Fisher on this hire.

Thank You, the first decent response I have read!!!
aeon-ag
This is just another excuse for all you high paid coaches to gripe about something you know nothing about. I wish I was as smart as some of you think you are!! I'm sure the AD would schedule some time with you to get your expert advise!!!
Rodney Ruxin
Wow, nice hoodie Looch!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.