Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

12 team playoff official

15,053 Views | 135 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by FriscoKid
BMX Bandit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

The counter to folks saying "great, title games don't matter any more"
its easy to counter because its a dumb thing to say.

SEC: matters to get LSU in playoff, matters for UGA to ensure a bye
B16: purdue could potentially sneak in playoff, michigan trying to keep a bye
ACC: winner in, loser goes home
PAC12: utah win to get in playoff, USC win to keep home field

how can people argue the games don't matter?
htxag09
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

The counter to folks saying "great, title games don't matter any more"
its easy to counter because its a dumb thing to say.

SEC: matters to get LSU in playoff, matters for UGA to ensure a bye
B16: purdue could potentially sneak in playoff, michigan trying to keep a bye
ACC: winner in, loser goes home
PAC12: utah win to get in playoff, USC win to keep home field

how can people argue the games don't matter?

Because they're stuck in the school of thought that every single college football game should be a must win. If, by default, you can make the playoff with a loss then games don't matter
Aggie_Journalist
AG
On the contrary. If one loss knocks you out, then the moment your team loses a game, all other games don't matter.

If it takes 2-3 losses to knock you out, more games matter!

Hypothetical season

W
W
W
L
W
W
L
W
W
W
W
L

If one loss knocks you out, then the last 8 games don't matter. Season ended week 4.

If it takes 3 losses to knock you out, every single game mattered. 0 games didn't matter. Post season was on the line from start to finish.
Thanks and gig'em
Class of 65
AG
Who Cares?
E A DANNHAUS Class of 65
Aggieair
Sparkie said:

Higher ranked teams can deliberately lose games to get better match-ups. There is no incentive not to manipulate the system.
Lmao that is not going to happen. There are only 6 at large spots.
BMX Bandit
Class of 65 said:

Who Cares?
non-olds
Aggieair
Iowaggie said:

Aggieair said:

Iowaggie said:

Aggieair said:

Iowaggie said:

greg.w.h said:

Rose and Sugar host the quarterfinal round each year and don't host a semifinal round either year. Other four (Peach & Fiesta paired, Cotton & Orange paired) get one semi and one quarter in each year. Final round is contracted to Atlanta (Peach site) in 2024 and Miami (Orange site) in 2025.

This is the biggest BS of the new format.

Every game, except the championship game, should be a college campus to emphasize how much the regular season matters and get rid of supporting Bowl games in NFL and destination cities and their tourism dollars.
Not all college stadiums are that big. Fewer tickets would be sold and the available seats would be even more expensive. Also, think about having to play a semifinal game in January in a blizzard in a northern state in a college campus open-air stadium.

The first round being played on college campuses is a good compromise.

Maybe Jerryworld is bigger than some college football stadiums, but most pro stadiums hold less than college stadiums, significantly less, and is easy to restrict if this really was the case (require at least 60,000 seats, but it can't be much more than that because that soon eliminates the Orange Bowl at 67K.). For example, if Houston would host a playoff game, they have to play in the Texans stadium (NRG).

It makes no financial sense to have the fans of Michigan and Georgia travel down to Miami for a playoff game.

Michigan's stadium is 107K, Georgia's is 93K, and Miami's is 67K, and all, instead of half, the fans would have had to travel. And the college atmosphere is 10 times better.

But more importantly, neutral site games de-value the regular season. Home field advantage retains the value of the regular season and rewards college towns. These expanded playoffs should be doing all they can to retain the value of the regular season.
Lol it makes a lot of financial sense, since the Orange Bowl pays to host a CFP game and Georgia and Michigan don't.

Again, you're ignoring that your argument would likely have a blizzard game at the Big House in early January. People generally want to see football played in optimum conditions for quarterfinal and semifinal games.

There's 43 Power 5 programs that have stadiums smaller than Hard Rock Stadium in Miami. Allowing the couple dozen or so programs that have stadiums bigger than that to host quarterfinal and semifinal games is just going to further the narrative of the have's getting more while the have-not's getting less.

Also, hosting a game is going to mean tickets are way more expensive. This will become cost-prohibitive for students. It's not going to be the same normal gameday environment that you're thinking of.

First, the neutral sites negate the value of the regular season. You may try to make to make another poor argument like your other neutral site argument, but there isn't. You want to increase or maintain the value of the regular season, let the home team host, not send them to a neutral site, or worse, send them to a site that favors the lower seed. If A&M is higher seed than LSU and they play each other, it shouldn't be in New Orleans, it should be at Kyle.

Second - those 43 P5 programs that have a stadium smaller than Hard Rock...yeah, I addressed that in the previous post. Put a minimum size on the host stadium, and then in the very unlikely event you are suggesting like a Duke or Wake Forest hosting a playoff game, they already have a pre-determined partner lined up, like BOA stadium in Charlotte.

Third - Those neutral site stadiums & cities aren't charities. If they are paying to host, it means they either expect to get a return on the tickets, the tourism & tax revenue, or the sponsorship. Or some combo of all 3. The sponsorship is going with the audience for that game, wherever it is played. The tourism & tax revenue should be going to college towns and the surrounding area.

Selling 26K-40K more tickets at a college stadium at the same or higher ticket price does bring in much more revenue. And yes, you're right, those tickets are going to be a lot more expensive because demand will be very high at a college site. There is more demand for the tickets, and even if the same number of students don't get tickets, it is still a better home crowd atmosphere than a neutral site game. If A&M got to host a playoff game versus Michigan, Kyle FIeld with one-third the number of students is still a better atmosphere than playing in Phoenix.

And the cold weather argument is such a Nancy statement. First, if you don't want to play in the cold, win your regular season games. They already are going to host first round games on campuses, but 7-14 days later it is too cold? Such a weak statement. Second, football is to be played in different conditions, and it is at all levels, but "It's cold outside" really a justification to not play a football game on Saturday when they will be playing on Sunday just down the road. Most importantly, if you don't want to play in the cold, win your games.

If you want to increase the value of regular season, you play the games at the higher seed's college stadium.

Telling people to "just win their games" if they want homefield advantage only works in the pro's where teams actually have enough different records or established tie breakers to determine who gets homefield advantage.

That doesn't exist in college. You could have two undefeated teams playing each other in a quarterfinal or semifinal game, and who gets homefield advantage is simply decided by whoever the committee liked more.

Again, you're ignoring that your system only benefits about 20 schools that have stadiums bigger or the same size as NFL stadiums. Hosting at an alternate site for the majority of those 43 schools does nothing for college town economies, which is supposed to be the whole point of your plan.

You used UH as an example, which is a bad one because Houston is not a college town. KSU would have to host their games 2 hours away in Missouri at Arrowhead Stadium. Baylor would have to host their games in AT&T Stadium in Arlington. Oklahoma State would have to go down to Arlington as well. Ole Miss and Mississippi State would have to go down to the Superdome in New Orleans. A team like Syracuse would have to go all the way down to MetLife Stadium in New Jersey. Iowa and ISU would have to travel all the way to Chicago or Minneapolis. WVU would have to go to Pittsburgh or Washington, D.C. Oregon, WSU, and Oregon State would all have to travel to Seattle. Utah and BYU would have to go all the way to either Denver or Phoenix. Same goes for any Group of 5 school that makes it past the first round and into the quarterfinals and semifinals.
BMX Bandit
Aggieair said:

Sparkie said:

Higher ranked teams can deliberately lose games to get better match-ups. There is no incentive not to manipulate the system.
sparkie has to be trolling.
Aggieair
BMX Bandit said:

Aggieair said:

Sparkie said:

sparkie has to be trolling.
Looks consistent with his posting history of calling playoff games "participation trophies" to me. It wouldn't be the dumbest thing said in this thread about expanding the playoffs if it wasn't a troll.
AGDAD14
Talking about expanded playoffs… the mighty Bobcats beat Shiner again. Back in the day Shiner would've been watching from home. The way football out to be!… Until a bunch of know it alls come along and screw it all up!!!
BMX Bandit
USC must have deliberately lost for better matchup.

"Championship games won't matter in 12 team playoff" must have missed pac12 championship
MaroonStain
AG
AnScAggie said:

This is stupid, just plain ****ing stupid. It's like participation trophies in youth sports, now we've just added it to college sports.

You mean adding revenue?
WhataMaroon88
AG
So this means the Aggies will find a way to be ranked around #6 next year with a surprise 10-2 season but will lose 3 in 2024 to be ranked #13. Lol
AGDAD14
Typo. 2 team playoff not 12.
agracer
AG
jeffdjohnson said:

This helps Texas A&M a lot. There have been multiple times when A&M would either clear this bar or have been within 1-2 games. That alone will make the regular season far more interesting. Examples in the last 10 years:

2021. A&M was 7-2 and ranked #11 on 11/7 with 3 games to play. That would have made the last 3 games far more meaningful.
2020. A&M was ranked #5 at the end of the season. They get in and who knows what happens.
2019. A&M was 7-3 and ranked #24 on 11/17 with 2 games to play (@#4 UGA, @#2 LSU). That is a situation where winning both would have likely put you in the Top 12 (i.e. more meaningful).
2018. A&M was 5-2 and ranked #16 on 10/21 with 5 games to play. No chance to get into the top 4, but still alive for finishing Top 12 (i.e. more meaningful).
2016. A&M was 7-2 and ranked #10 on 11/6 with 3 games to play. No chance to get into the top 4, but still alive for finishing Top 12 (i.e. more meaningful).
2015. A&M was 6-2 and ranked #25 on 11/1 with 4 games to play. No chance to get into the top 4, but still alive for finishing Top 12 (i.e. more meaningful).
2013. A&M was 8-2 and ranked #9 on 11/17 with 2 games to play. No chance to get into the top 4, but still alive for finishing Top 12 (i.e. more meaningful).
2012. A&M was 10-2 and ranked #10 at the end of the season. They get in and who knows what happens.

In the last 10 years, A&M makes it twice and is playing meaningful games in early November six other times. Between playoff expansion and the NIL, these things were almost designed in a lab to give A&M a lift. With just a mild level of competence, A&M should be in the mix every year. This will only serve to make the regular season far more interesting.

So we don't make except 2012 and 2020…
"In no other profession are there so many smug, arrogant people with so little justification for being arrogant as there are in journalism."Jack Kelly, former Marine and Green Beret, Washington Times, April 13.

FREEDOM AINT FREE posted 11:55a, 3/10/11 on the GB: "Aren't you a liberal? I don't think anyone will ever accuse you of loving this country."
Sam and Dean
AG
Sounds selfish, but so be it. At this point in my game I don't care. If this benefits Texas A&M football program and assists in attaining the ultimate prize, then I'm for it. If not , then I don't care.

In fact, that is the perspective from which I view all college football situations or questions. GIG 'EM
"I am besieged, by a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa Anna...I shall never surrender or retreat."
BMX Bandit
2012 would have been bizarre seeding (using BCS rankings)

1. Alabama
.......8. UGA
.......9.LSU

4. Wisconsin (unranked)
.........5. Notre Dame (#1 ranked team)
........12. northern illinois

2. Kstate
.........7. Oregon (#4 ranked team)
.........11. South Carolina

3. Florida State (#12 ranked team)
........6. Florida (#3 ranked team)
........10. A&M

no way committee puts 6 SEC teams in.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
wbt5845 said:

And as an aside - as great as this makes the NY6 bowls, the rest of the bowls now get even worse and more irrelevant.

I don't think I've watched a non-NY6 bowl that didn't have A&M in it in many years.

They were already irrelevant and programming filler for ESPN.
TXAG 05
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

wbt5845 said:

And as an aside - as great as this makes the NY6 bowls, the rest of the bowls now get even worse and more irrelevant.

I don't think I've watched a non-NY6 bowl that didn't have A&M in it in many years.

The bowls are usually much better games than the playoffs which are usually blowouts.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
TXAG 05 said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

wbt5845 said:

The bowls are usually much better games than the playoffs which are usually blowouts.

I mean, that's one opinion, I guess.
TXAG 05
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

TXAG 05 said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

wbt5845 said:

Not really an opinion. The majority of the playoff games have been one sided blowouts not worth watching.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
TXAG 05 said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

TXAG 05 said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

wbt5845 said:

Not really an opinion. The majority of the playoff games have been one sided blowouts not worth watching.

So clearly you don't know what constitutes an opinion.
TXAG 05
AG
It's not an opinion that most of the playoff games have been blowouts.
AGDAD14
After tonight… does anybody seriously think it is necessary for #1 to play #8 and #2 play #7 to determine a national championship?
WestTexAg12
AG
AGDAD14 said:

After tonight… does anybody seriously think it is necessary for #1 to play #8 and #2 play #7 to determine a national championship?

Yes. It would have opened up the opportunity for Tenn or Bama
jonb02
AG
AGDAD14 said:

The off chance makes it worth it. Who doesn't love an underdog story which will happen at some point.
AGDAD14
What exactly did Tenn or Bama do to deserve a national championship?
AGDAD14
I agree "off chance" can be entertaining, but that's not the same as determining a deserving champion.
WestTexAg12
AG
AGDAD14 said:

I agree "off chance" can be entertaining, but that's not the same as determining a deserving champion.

Sure it is. Who can step up in the moment when it counts. What are your thoughts when no 5, 6, 7, even 8 seeds make the Final Four or even win the whole thing?
I understand this isn't basketball, but folks would say the same thing of us in 2012 even thought we feel we could have won it all if given the chance.
AGDAD14
I say step up during the regular season moments when it counts! Don't depend on some second chance to bail you out.
FriscoKid
AG
wbt5845 said:

The Rose Bowl's reign of terror over college football has ended!

The Rose bowl is awesome (for marching bands)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.