Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Rumors that Leach is Heading Out…

22,897 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bryanisbest
20ag07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

Leach could make 2-3x broadcasting
Do you know what the market for broadcasters is these days?

It ain't paying SEC coaching money.
Thunderstormr
AG
20ag07 said:

Quote:

It's paying more.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Josh Pate, who seems to be about as knowledgable as anyone following CFB right now, was just talking about this topic with Looch. Expecting to start seeing more old school coaches go to broadcasting because they will be able to make more $$$ to "retire".

They are handing out crazy $$$ to conferences, and they are going to want to make sure they are getting eyeballs.
p-wonk01
AG
Go listen to the Loochador podcast from Tuesday with Josh Pate. It was great and brought up some interesting things with the portal/NIL changes + money in the booth. They even mentioned wondering if Leach would stay long term with all these changes.
20ag07
Quote:

It's paying more.
No it's not.

Mike Leach isn't getting paid $5.5M/year in the booth.

Like 5 people get that.

Leach isn't getting into that upper tier.

The rest are barely pulling $1M as all the broadcasters look to cut costs.
Blinnaggie2002
He's a loser. Good riddance.
Lateralus Ag
AG
20ag07 said:

Quote:

It's paying more.
No it's not.

Mike Leach isn't getting paid $5.5M/year in the booth.

Like 5 people get that.

Leach isn't getting into that upper tier.

The rest are barely pulling $1M as all the broadcasters look to cut costs.

Barely pulling a million. We are ****ing doomed.
AGFEVER
deer corn said:

Oh man. Leach going to broadcasting would be brilliant!

He would be the Charles Barkley of college football with random facts and figures.
He'd actually be the Bill Walton of college football
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Thunderstormr said:

20ag07 said:

Quote:

It's paying more.

Lol. No. Urban Meyer may have had a good deal.

I think the CBS SEC anchors pull in $200K/season
-Ben There/R.C.
phatty26
Ole miss can't catch ****
20ag07
Quote:

Josh Pate, who seems to be about as knowledgable as anyone following CFB right now, was just talking about this topic with Looch. Expecting to start seeing more old school coaches go to broadcasting because they will be able to make more $$$ to "retire".

They are handing out crazy $$$ to conferences, and they are going to want to make sure they are getting eyeballs.
If Josh Pate is saying this, he's not as "knowledgeable" as you think.

People do NOT tune in for broadcasters. People tune OUT for broadcasters. The more that is paid for rights, the less there is for talking heads.

Outside of Romo, Aikman, Herbstreit, nobody has leverage anymore.

The rest are a dime a dozen, and not impacting ratings.

FOX is having top games called remotely, with the same team in multiple games a a day, without sideline reporters.
ashley
Blinnaggie2002 said:

You're right. He wouldn't have won but 7 with out team this year. He would have known after spring break who the starting quarterback should be.
Bryanisbest
AG
Let's see. Leach is a loser. He can't be a broadcaster because he goes off on tangents, can't be a coach due to health, can't be a commentator because he's boring. So what the heck can he do? Oh yea, beat the crap out of Texas A&M in football. That he can do! And talent differential makes no difference whatsoever.
JBGoode
AG
Blinnaggie2002 said:

Have some respect. The man has unspoken health issues. And owning A&M from Lubbock is no small feat.
superunknown
AG
20ag07 said:

Quote:

If Josh Pate is saying this, he's not as "knowledgeable" as you think.

People do NOT tune in for broadcasters. People tune OUT for broadcasters. The more that is paid for rights, the less there is for talking heads.

Outside of Romo, Aikman, Herbstreit, nobody has leverage anymore.

The rest are a dime a dozen, and not impacting ratings.

FOX is having top games called remotely, with the same team in multiple games a a day, without sideline reporters.

Add Tom Brady if he joins Fox NFL as the #1 analyst and that's about it. People who call games are a dime a dozen and they all have multiple jobs. One of my employees has 6+ years experience calling games on the college level (very little D1 FBS, mostly D2 and lower) and he's hoping in the next couple of years to crack the list for even backup random radio coverage for generic "game of the week" broadcasts on the various syndicators.
DustysLineup
AG
I listened to some of the Loochador episode. Pate's not talking about play by play or gamecallers, he's saying that the money for color commentators is about to shoot up, and coaches are primed to make the most. He's suggesting that guys like Saban could go make 10-15 million a year doing color or in-studio.

They combined that w/ a discussion about coaches getting fed up with the massive roster turnover some are predicting this year, and the new world of cfb in general. Looch mentioned wondering if Leach would stick around for all the BS.

So they weren't saying that broadcast jobs that exist right now pay more than coaching, but Pate thinks they're coming.
20ag07
Did he address the fact that games are now being called remotely, without sideline reporters, which can't be done effectively, bc the networks are getting so cheap?

The networks are VERY obviously scaling back their production costs.

The few superstars (Leach ain't one) would be the only ones getting money.

Everybody else is working cheaper.
dixichkn
AG
Quote:

Add Tom Brady if he joins Fox NFL as the #1 analyst and that's about it.
The problem with Tom Brady is he's about as bland as a cardboard sandwich on air. Those Jim Gray interviews are brutal. Bore me to tears
superunknown
AG
Yeah thats a great point. Everyone's going to make their splash now. Also I think NFL announcers will always be in a stratosphere above any other sport. The money the NFL generates all around dwarfs everything.
firethewagonup
My source tells me prime cannot take the sTaTe job due to his constant tinnitus
Gigem Aggies
milner79
ac said:

If Leach were to go into broadcasting, obviously he and Craig James could never work together.

That would actually make listening to James tolerable. Especially when Leach went on a Fat Little Girlfriends rant.
TexasAggie81
My son a USM grad lives in Hattiesburg. He says it's all but officially confirmed that Leach has throat cancer. No other details … so take it for what it's worth. But my son is CERY connected to the USM athletic department, and his source has always been reliable.
74AnimalA
AG
ac said:

If Leach were to go into broadcasting, obviously he and Craig James could never work together.
After the dust up in Lubbock, we haven't seen Craig James. He just got dropped and hasn't shown up even for HS games.
74AnimalA
AG
TexasAggie81 said:

My son a USM grad lives in Hattiesburg. He says it's all but officially confirmed that Leach has throat cancer. No other details … so take it for what it's worth. But my son is CERY connected to the USM athletic department, and his source has always been reliable.
IF True, all the Best to Mike Leach. Yea, he's a wise @$$, and yea, he's kicked out @$$. But I Pray for Coach Leach, his family and for a Speedy, Complete Recovery.
cavscout96
AG
Geriatric Punk said:

deer corn said:

He would be the Charles Barkley of college football with random facts and figures.

No way he makes it in broadcasting. He would go off on too many tangents. He'd start talking about the Punic Wars in the middle of a critical down and distance. Don't get me wrong, I'd watch it with glee, but…

The ghost of John Madden says "Hi."
chick79
AG
Leach did not look well on the sidelines last night during the Egg Bowl. Here's to your health coach!
TAMU74
AG
Great win last night by MS state over Ole Miss and that Jack Ass Lane Kiffin.
Mike Leach is a hell of a coach and I wish him well.
If he does have cancer that he recovers.
texasaggie2015
AG
Blinnaggie2002 said:

At least he isn't a piece of **** who cheers when people develop health issues.

I've known Coach Leach for a while. He's always been kind to me. I wish him the best.
WolfCall
AG
74AnimalA said:

TexasAggie81 said:

IF True, all the Best to Mike Leach. Yea, he's a wise @$$, and yea, he's kicked out @$$. But I Pray for Coach Leach, his family and for a Speedy, Complete Recovery.
^ This +1

Amazing the impact that Mike Leach had on football! I look forward to his restored health and listening to him in the broadcast booth.

Godspeed Coach Leach. Do not give up hope no matter how bad the diagnosis or how bad the prognosis.
_mpaul
AG
Geriatric Punk said:

deer corn said:

No way he makes it in broadcasting. He would go off on too many tangents. He'd start talking about the Punic Wars in the middle of a critical down and distance. Don't get me wrong, I'd watch it with glee, but…
I used to strongly dislike Leach, mainly because he was beating our brains out every year. Two things changed my mind: (1) he was really good on Sirius's college football show; (2) his book.

I think he'd do quite well in broadcasting.
Paper. An insane deer. Taco meat.
_mpaul
AG
TexasAggie81 said:

Why would USM and people in Hattiesburg know so much about what's going on with MSU and people in Starkville? Seems like an odd source.
Paper. An insane deer. Taco meat.
cevans_40
AG
TexasAggie81 said:

Would make sense why he has had a constant cough or throat clearing issue the entire season.
BudFox
JBGoode said:

Blinnaggie2002 said:

Have some respect. The man has unspoken health issues. And owning A&M from Lubbock is no small feat.
Not really. I'm old. Since I've been alive Tech has 27-22 lead in series.
tk for tu juan
Over 15 years from account creation to first post
Craigy
Geriatric Punk said:

deer corn said:

Bill Walton says hello
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.