Story Poster
Jimbo Fisher
Jalen Preston
Demani Richardson
Texas A&M Football

Fisher adamant that Texas A&M's football program is not in disarray

November 14, 2022

A six-game losing streak. Four players suspended. A key starter benched. A heralded five-star recruit decommitting.

Those seem like symptoms of a toxic football team culture and a program in disarray.

Texas A&M head coach Jimbo Fisher disagrees.

Although the Aggies have endured seemingly incessant drama on and off the field this season, Fisher remains adamant the program is not unraveling.

“It’s not in disarray,” Fisher said during his weekly press conference on Monday afternoon. “We’ve got very good players here. We’ve got good guys we’ll keep coaching. Good young players.

“We’re not in disarray in recruiting. We’re not in disarray in our team. Our guys are playing their tails off, playing hard. We’ve got to continue to help them play better. They have a great attitude and demeanor. It looks very good.”

Despite Fisher’s reassurance, much of the Aggie populace is concerned about the Texas A&M football program and its long-term outlook.

The Aggies’ 13-10 loss to Auburn last Saturday was their sixth consecutive defeat. A&M previously hasn’t suffered six straight losses since 1972.

“We’re not in disarray in recruiting. We’re not in disarray in our team. Our guys are playing their tails off, playing hard. We’ve got to continue to help them play better. They have a great attitude and demeanor. It looks very good.”
- A&M head coach Jimbo Fisher

That skid looks to have had a negative impact on recruiting.

Last week, Anthony Hill‍ — the No. 1 rated linebacker prospect in the country — announced he had rescinded his commitment to A&M.

Early signing day is a month away. A&M’s 2023 recruiting class is ranked No. 23 nationally, but there are concerns that some of the Aggies' remaining 11 commitments might also reconsider.

However, Fisher apparently isn’t panicking.

“We’re in good shape in recruiting and what we’re doing,” he said. “There are other ways in recruiting, like signing a full class. There’s other ways with (transfer) portals and different things to address things now.”

The transfer portal can be an effective tool in constructing a team. Arkansas last season and Tennessee and TCU this year are examples of programs that made dramatic improvements through the transfer portal.

A&M has gotten only minimal activity with the transfer portal. The Aggies bought in tackle Jahmir Johnson last season. This year, they brought in quarterback Max Johnson.

Also, Fisher complained that other teams are violating rules to get transfers, which would increase the difficulty of filling voids via the portal.

“If they stay in the portal awhile, you can recruit guys,” Fisher said. “If they’re in the portal for one day, how do you get to recruit them? And how do you know they’re going in? To know that, you’d have to be doing what? … Tampering.

“We’re not going to do that, and we ain’t ever going to do that.”

Fisher appears to have other even more immediate issues to address.

Coaches always speak of the importance of a championship culture. Yet, there are questions surfacing about the current culture at A&M.

In September, freshman receivers Evan Stewart and Chris Marshall and freshman defensive backs Smoke Bouie and Denver Harris were suspended for a game against Miami for violating team rules.

Jamie Maury, TexAgs
Fisher said that Muhammad, the Aggies’ second-leading receiver, will be available for Saturday’s contest vs. UMass.

Last month, Harris, Marshall and freshman offensive lineman PJ Williams were suspended for another violation of team rules after a loss to South Carolina.

Then, last Saturday, starting sophomore receiver Moose Muhammad was benched after the opening kickoff.

Muhammad announced via Twitter he had been benched for wearing sleeves under his jersey. Apparently, receivers were instructed not to wear sleeves.

Fisher would not comment on the incident Saturday night, only saying it was an “internal issue.”

He repeated that at the press conference.

“That was an internal issue, which was handled,” he said. “We’ve adjusted, all talked and are moving on.”

Still, players violating team rules and ignoring coaches' instructions raise questions about the culture within the program.

“There is a standard. When the standard is not what we do, we address it and move on.” Fisher said. “We’re always going to address it. We’re going to keep the way we’re going to do things and get back to where it needs to be.”

Notes

• Fisher would not reveal the status of several injured players, including tight end Max Wright and running back Devone Achane, for the upcoming game against Massachusetts. He just said all players are “day to day.” However, Fisher did say Achane would play again this season.

• The season-ending game against LSU on Nov. 26 will kick off at 6 p.m. at Kyle Field.

Discussion from...

Fisher adamant that Texas A&M's football program is not in disarray

20,498 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by OHAg82
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't believe him.

Bookmark this article and come back to it in a month.
McInnis80
Sorry, but when I see the headline why do I think of "Bagdad Bob"?
Sponge
AG
It certainly might not be in disarray or even close to it. But our offense is still abysmal and big changes are needed.
It started looking bad last year but during (off season) interviews it sounded like Jimbo was going to make changes but that didn't happen at all.
AG
Y'all remember when Anais told us that a lot of guys weren't buying in and Jimbo tried to explain it away as meaning something different?

EVERYBODY knows what that means when used in reference to a team sport.

Anais was telling the truth and spin control had to try to reel it back in.
eATMup-Reveille
Good Gawd...he's SO defensive!! Is it heading towards Sumlin type defensiveness?
one safe place
Add delusional to the many things he is.
JohnLA762
AG
Houstonag
AG
Fisher has a duty and obligation to make substantive changes in his coaching strategy. We have seen stubborn coaches in Aggieland before. Two were fired and one quit mid season. Fisher must, must hire a dedicated OC with the latitude to design a system that is innovative, provides deception and takes advantage of the talent. He has failed and if the administration is not telling him this then then they are guilty of gross mismanagement. I am speaking directly to Bjork and Sharp and the entire board. Do your job.
oysterbayAG
AG
Last two seasons of QB changes : King, Calzada, King, Johnson, King, Weigman, King, Weigman. No elite QB has been a large part of our downfall. Compare our QB situation to most of the ranked teams.
DrAg14
AG
Ignore the man behind the curtains.

Definition of gas lighting.

Snake oil salesman.

war hymn aggie
AG
From Preseason Top 6 to a 6 game losing streak.

Several incidents of internal issues. Losing helps escalate these issues, tho.

Terrible offensive performance throughout most of the year.
Horrible run D.

This program is in disarray.

Jimbo needs to acknowledge it (like an alcoholic admitting that they have a drinking problem),look at it from a different perspective & make IMMEDIATE changes as soon after the LSU game is over before his program is too far gone to rectify.
aggieland09
AG
I'd say if you dot think there is a culture problem, then you may be the problem
turfman80
AG
[url=<iframe][/url]yeah, okay.....
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
Dallasag517
AG
Let's dissect this article a bit more. Is it really a toxic culture?

First, the suspensions. In total, 5 individuals broke rules this year that led to suspensions--all of them true fish. Two of the 5 were involved in both instances. Of the 5 that have been suspended, 3 are suspended indefinitely, 2 have gone on to play the rest of the season. My conclusion, not toxic, but 2 players that were trying to influence other fish they are above the rules. The systemic or egregious rule breakers have been "culled from the herd." My conclusion: discipline handed down appropriately to stop misbehavior from becoming toxic.

Key starter benched. A dust up over 'sleeves' of all things. My conclusion -- frustration from a losing season.

A heralded 5 star decommits. My conclusion, result of a losing season.

Six game losing streak. Poor roster management, poor coaching, abundance of youth on the field, and injuries. My conclusion, coaching issues, players forced into action that are not ready, and bad luck.

There is one sure sign to me that says there is no toxic culture: these players are playing hard. Our defense against Auburn was fired up and hitting hard despite getting gashed at times and never backed down when things got chippy with Auburn's players. As well, many of our star fish and other players have stated/tweeted things are not near as volatile in the locker room as they are in articles like these.

I'm not seeing a toxic culture. Disarray, yes, although a better word might be frustrated.
Monywolf
Papa Joe
AG
Agree 100%.
Let's see if Jimbo can recruit the best players on the team again!
He is a great recruiter and a great salesman. He will not have to travel very far to do his best recruiting!
Shadow of CuervoAg
Do not post opposing views or you too, like me, will become a shadow of your former self.
Meximan
Dallasag517 said:

Let's dissect this article a bit more. Is it really a toxic culture?

First, the suspensions. In total, 5 individuals broke rules this year that led to suspensions--all of them true fish. Two of the 5 were involved in both instances. Of the 5 that have been suspended, 3 are suspended indefinitely, 2 have gone on to play the rest of the season. My conclusion, not toxic, but 2 players that were trying to influence other fish they are above the rules. The systemic or egregious rule breakers have been "culled from the herd." My conclusion: discipline handed down appropriately to stop misbehavior from becoming toxic.

Key starter benched. A dust up over 'sleeves' of all things. My conclusion -- frustration from a losing season.

A heralded 5 star decommits. My conclusion, result of a losing season.

Six game losing streak. Poor roster management, poor coaching, abundance of youth on the field, and injuries. My conclusion, coaching issues, players forced into action that are not ready, and bad luck.

There is one sure sign to me that says there is no toxic culture: these players are playing hard. Our defense against Auburn was fired up and hitting hard despite getting gashed at times and never backed down when things got chippy with Auburn's players. As well, many of our star fish and other players have stated/tweeted things are not near as volatile in the locker room as they are in articles like these.

I'm not seeing a toxic culture. Disarray, yes, although a better word might be frustrated.
The best thing that can be said is that they're (usually) not quitting and playing hard til the end. Typically losing teams don't do that.

Doesn't necessarily mean a turnaround is in the offing, but they haven't quit on the coach (yet).
Bockaneer
AG
Just wanted to take a moment and honor the best in the sleeves game- Speedy!
Smeghead4761
Rossticus
sharpdressedman
JF has been consistent each week in criticizing the shortcomings of the coaches..."We need to coach them better." Props to him for honestly assessing his/their failure.

It is a reasonable supposition that the players whom he claims are positive minded and "working their tails off" are greatly frustrated, and some/numerous of them will likely leave if very significant coaching changes are not made. JF knows this. We'll see what happens, and if it's done quickly enough to retain players and to salvage recruiting.

"Disarray" is an especially pejorative word when used in a team context. Pick whatever word you like, but recognize that there are concerning issues behind the curtain.

newbie11
sharpdressedman said:

JF has been consistent each week in criticizing the shortcomings of the coaches..."We need to coach them better." Props to him for honestly assessing his/their failure.

It is a reasonable supposition that the players whom he claims are positive minded and "working their tails off" are greatly frustrated, and some/numerous of them will likely leave if very significant coaching changes are not made. JF knows this. We'll see what happens, and if it's done quickly enough to retain players and to salvage recruiting.

"Disarray" is an especially pejorative word when used in a team context. Pick whatever word you like, but recognize that there are concerning issues behind the curtain.

Simply saying we need to coach them better is a cop out. Plain and simple.
agent-maroon
AG
Do we accept JF's comments as stated or do we believe our lying eyes? Faith is reserved for my religious life. Everything else must be supported by evidence & data and at this point in time is running completely opposite to what he's saying.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
GigEm561
AG
"The Aggies bought in tackle Jahmir Johnson last season."

OB, we "bought" in Johnson? Saban appreciates your honesty.
Deus Vult
I think that dustup with Saban this summer mentally broke Jimbo. Watch his interview with the sportscaster in San Antonio, Jimbo is unhinged and out of control. There has been a marked change in him ever since then.
Aggie1188
oysterbayAG said:

Last two seasons of QB changes : King, Calzada, King, Johnson, King, Weigman, King, Weigman. No elite QB has been a large part of our downfall. Compare our QB situation to most of the ranked teams.
Jimbo literally sucks as an offensive schemer/playcaller. Jimbo has also recruited awful at Linebacker and below-average at OL.
Aggie1188
Deus Vult said:

I think that dustup with Saban this summer mentally broke Jimbo. Watch his interview with the sportscaster in San Antonio, Jimbo is unhinged and out of control. There has been a marked change in him ever since then.
He's just losing. He's humiliated. Still too stubborn to stay out of the offense.
RossWag
AG
Unfortunately, this is beginning to look like the decline at FSU. He has to make it look like all is well, but let's face it, we have a ton of talent, but cannot put a complete game together. There is a culture issue, coaching issue, and what appears to be a conditioning issue; look at all the injuries this year.

I expect our recruiting class will be weak a compared to the past few years, but what really makes me nervous is how many of those prior recruits enter the transfer portal. What was a great recruiting class, no goes missing.

I expect Jimbo will fire the DC and then be pushed to hire a good OC and new DC. He will get 1-2 years to turn this season around, otherwise A&M will paying another high-priced contract off.
Houstonag
AG
Pay now and take the loss. I sold that FB stock a long time ago. Jimbo's own statements and actions the last several weeks tell me he is not going to adapt even with an OC. Who would join his team at this point as a solid OC?
philevans
AG
everyone except me - jimbo, failed to execute.
you remember?
i have $95kk reasons to execute correctly.
TXlic GIGM61
Agdad081216
My maroon goggles have me blinded. It is hard to play another team and the officials. It seems like every call in every game goes against the Aggies. We have a targeting call against the other team that gets overturned when it's literally a targeting call. We get a 35 yard pass interference that never gets called these are all game changers. It seems to me that every since Jimbo criticized the officiating three years ago is when all of this started coming into for fruition!

It's either that or the other team are paying through officials more.
Deus Vult
Aggie1188 said:

Deus Vult said:

He's just losing. He's humiliated. Still too stubborn to stay out of the offense.
The change in Jimbo started well before the season. The losing and being humiliated are just symptoms of whatever happened mentally to him this summer. He has always had his stubborn flaw but this is very different and noticeable back to the day of Saban's comments..
aggie090
AG
The key to change is to have the courage to admit you are wrong! That is not going to happen here with this coach and his staff, the AD, and John Sharpe! A&M cannot afford to fire him and the program cannot afford to let him stay as is. Catch 22. When will A&M ever learn? Franchione, Sherman, Sumlin, and Fisher. All show, No substance!
laruejd
AG
Would hate to see our record if the program were really in disarray. We are last of 14 teams and have the one "miracle" win over Arkansas. Even Vandy has two wins.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.