Story Poster
Jimbo Fisher
Jalen Preston
Demani Richardson
Texas A&M Football

Press Conference: Fisher, Ags host UMass in non-conference matchup

November 14, 2022

Texas A&M is back at Kyle Field this weekend as the Aggies look to overcome their losing streak when UMass rolls into town. On Monday, Jimbo Fisher, Jalen Preston and Demani Richardson spoke to the media as the Maroon & White prepare for the non-conference clash.

The following are live, paraphrased notes from Jimbo Fisher’s Monday afternoon media availability:

• Disappointed. Didn’t get the outcome we wanted. Had some opportunities. We had to coach them better. We could not get the run established. Defensively, created a couple of turnovers. A one score game is a big game. Could not get it done.

• They are one-word calls when pushing the tempo. When you aren't getting first downs, it doesn't work. 

• Moose Muhammad was an internal issue that we have handled. We’re moving on.

• Keep the standard the standard. We always going to address it. It will get back to where it needs to be.

• We are not in disarray. We have very good players here. We have good recruiting and good players.

• All the injuries are day-to-day.

• This was not going to be a huge recruiting class.

• Facing UMass, I want to see a lot of hearts, guts and play well. They are in good spirits. They had a good demeanor. This team keeps doing the things they are supposed to. 

• They are playing for each other. They have Texas A&M written across their chest.

• Any game is a good time to reset. You say reset, but it's a game. They can cause plenty of problems.

• Moose will be available this week. The suspended freshman will not be.

• The rules of the transfer portal are what they are. It can be good and bad. The guys in the portal stay there, but they know where they are going. How is that? Tampering. I don't know how you combat that. That’s for the NCAA.

• I expect Devon Achane to play the rest of the season.

• They want to play well. You have to find a medium and not overthink things. Playing and calling plays. Go back to the basics. Basics lead to fundamentals.

• Anytime you don't have a lot of seniors, it hurts. Older players that have been in the battles. The older I get, the smarter my parents get. The older players get, the smarter coaches get.

• Fisher says he does have a policy about arm sleeves and put the matter to bed.

• The grass is not greener. We don't give players enough credit. They want to stay here and prove right and be a part of it. There’s no missed attendance. It’s all there. To jump into greener pastures, how does that look on you as a player when you can’t face adversity?
Discussion from...

Press Conference: Fisher, Ags host UMass in non-conference matchup

9,970 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by mshipp88
bdp514am
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sounds like a Coach who knows his roster is about to be gutted by the transfer portal.
jmsrz
What a joke!

When have you ever heard Jimbo provide an objective (or logical) assessment of a football game or the outcome of a football game?

I 100% believe (regardless of class) that these players would perform a lot better under a better coach.

I mean...at what point does "we have to do a better job coaching" convert into results? How many weeks does that take? I mean how difficult is it to teach someone not to false start...ON THE FIRST PLAY OF THE GAME!

Hell, you can turn a civilian into a Marine in 13 weeks. True freshmen...sure, they get a pass...but what about all the other players on the team...why aren't they coached up? It's pathetic at this point.

I don't fault the players one bit.
AG81
AG
Amazing how Jimbo was a great coach when we went 9-1 and won the Orange Bowl and now the same people who praised him say he can't coach. The zoo continues to entertain.
oysterbayAG
AG
I think a large majority of the freshman will stay and we won't do too bad in recruiting and the portal. Jimbo is a good teacher, they will get their playing time, best facilities, NIL, loyal fan base etc. TAMU is a very comfortable place for a football player.
ArcheryAg
AG81 said:

Amazing how Jimbo was a great coach when we went 9-1 and won the Orange Bowl and now the same people who praised him say he can't coach. The zoo continues to entertain.

So dam true.
texclass2004
We need to get rid of this chump. Pay him his money and kick him out the door. It would be an absolute disgrace to set our sights on anyone less than Kiffen. Ole Miss and Auburn don't have the pride or tradition that we do. It is unacceptable for us to deal with this. I have had season tickets for 15 years and this is the first time my wife and I have questioned if we should renew. Bjork fix this problem!!!
AG
Kiffin is a bottom of the barrel human being. Complete piece of trash. I want nothing to do with him, regardless of the fact that he wins.

Other guys win, too. We don't need that kind of scum around here
bdp514am
Well it is a lot easier to be a great coach when you have a team that is laden with upperclassman and an OL that dominates the line of scrimmage. His "scheme" works well when people are dominating their one on one matchups. We could do that during that 9-1 season. And because of shortened spring and fall practices due to covid, being a veteran team compared to many other teams in the SEC certainly worked to A&M's advantage.

It's when things are a struggle that, I believe, you really get the measure of a coach. Does he make the right evaluations of new talent, Can he make adjustments to suit the personnel he has, can he get the most out of young players, can he turn some kids around that seem to be problematic from a behavioral or attitude standpoint. And does he take responsibility.

Jimbo probably isn't as good of a coach as people gave him credit for when he won a national championship with Winston or went 9-1 in an all SEC schedule. And likely, isn't as bad of a coach as he sometimes appears to be during this season.
texclass2004
I agree I don't Kiffin to babysit my kids but when it comes to on the field performance he gets results. As a lifelong Aggie I want a coach the makes me proud to say "I went there". Results are what we need. The amount of money that is going to Jimbo should not have us where we are right now.
mshipp88
texclass2004 said:

I agree I don't Kiffin to babysit my kids but when it comes to on the field performance he gets results. As a lifelong Aggie I want a coach the makes me proud to say "I went there". Results are what we need. The amount of money that is going to Jimbo should not have us where we are right now.

Kiffen wins? Like what? his 80-40 ish record? is 5-15 NFL record? Isn't Jimbo like 120-48 or something (probably a little worse this year)? I don't understand the LK fascination.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.